Next Step in NSX Ownership

Hello Everyone,

Love the forum by the way...very useful as a newbie/potential owner.

I've posted here recently with my intention of purchasing a NSX sometime this year and also participating in the NSXPO 07. I'm currently living in Dubai and will export my "found" NSX afterwards. I plan on finding my NSX, getting the service records e-mailed to me (plan to look for normal items such as snap ring, window regulator, what else?), and then booking vacation in order to complete the transaction and have the car inspected.

Now I've got everything covered such as exporting the car from the U.S. to the UAE but I'm concerned about how to check for a car's history in the U.S. If I find a NSX I want my plan is to get it into the local Acura dealership and have the compression test and normal inspection items done, look at the previous service paperwork, etc. But how do I check to see if the car has a salvage title, been wrecked, etc? I'm originally from Canada and not familiar with how things work in the U.S. in terms of vehicle reporting.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to protect myself? BTW I'm looking for a 92-95 model year NSX and of course would prefer a T but budget will most likely dictate a coupe.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Jetpilot

> A Carfax *should* tell you the state of the title. Carfax. I don't *think* I've ever heard of a car having a salvage title and Carfax DIDN'T show it. I'm sure someone else will mention if they have. :biggrin:

> You may in fact find a Targa for LESS than you can find a Coupe. Coupe's are lighter and stiffer than the Targa's and quite a few NSX'ers prefer the coupe for "real" driving. However, you are more likely to find the coupes with higher mileage (and a lower) price just because of the age.

> Having the car inspected (PPI, leakdown, compression check) is a great step, but knowing and having the full history of the car is priceless. Look for a car that has a full paper trail of the maintenance and history (seller should have this.)

HTH.

Jetpilot was a sponsor of mine when I raced personal watercraft and the name has just stuck. Although, my father is a pilot and works as an aircraft mechanic with Air Canada.

Cheers,
Jetpilot

> A Carfax *should* tell you the state of the title. Carfax. I don't *think* I've ever heard of a car having a salvage title and Carfax DIDN'T show it. I'm sure someone else will mention if they have. :biggrin:
I've heard of it happening, but it's not very common. Run a Carfax, do a search on these forums for the VIN, and search the list of totalled VINs in the NSX FAQ. That's all you can do. If you don't turn up anything that way, then all you can do is assume it's clean.

Jetpilot was a sponsor of mine when I raced personal watercraft and the name has just stuck. Although, my father is a pilot and works as an aircraft mechanic with Air Canada.

Cheers,
Jetpilot
My license plate used to read FLY-SURF (I was a Tomcat guy at Miramar and surfed around southern California and Florida) UNTIL someone asked me if I fly fish and surf the internet? I decided that I was too old and could no longer live up to the plate...so I let it lapse.

Back