next NSX a hybrid?

Will not happen on the NSX replacement, the weight gain is quite substancial.

Vancehu said:
Will not happen on the NSX replacement, the weight gain is quite substancial.

Fun to speculate on the NSX replacement.

What about Integrated Motor Assist from the Acura DN-X (supplemental torque to the front wheels supplied by an electric motor/generator and capacitor charged off regenerative braking energy; power supplied to front wheels based on SH-AWD mapping)? That would mean a smaller V10 driving the rear wheels off the same map and the radiator moved to the rear to balance the weight of battery/motors. Move the damn spare to the garage!

LOL - very Honda: 100 HP at the stoplight, 475 HP out of the corners! I could accept the additional complexity for the performance. (Note to Honda engineers: please use water cooled electric motors, preferably Franklin Electric - the track is going to be hell for the motor/generator)

Has anyone ever used the air flow/drag through the radiator(s) for downforce at the rear, maybe a radiator wing? Front would be very clean, but the HSC will need much larger side scoops. Dual rear-mounted radiators seems like a good reason for centered exhausts.

As long as we are dumping the alternator, isn't it time for solinoids instead of a camshaft?

No Battery
No Alternator
No Water pump
No Starter
No Camshaft
No Timing chain
Lighter Transmission
Lighter Engine
Lighter Brakes
SH-AWD performance

Suddenly the electric motor doesn't seem so heavy!

The Insight is an extremely light car, and it's hybrid.

I realize it's a smaller car than the NSX, and true, hybrid motor does add weight, but SOOO much that the gained torque from the electric engine won't take care of? i dunno...

i'm sure well eventually see a hybrid sports car... just when, and by whom? I have my money on toyota doing it

i did not hear details other than v-10 with 4WD and front wheels being hybrid driven. they want msrp less than 70K to compete with viper/vette.

mindretch said:
Fun to speculate on the NSX replacement.

What about Integrated Motor Assist from the Acura DN-X (supplemental torque to the front wheels supplied by an electric motor/generator and capacitor charged off regenerative braking energy; power supplied to front wheels based on SH-AWD mapping)? That would mean a smaller V10 driving the rear wheels off the same map and the radiator moved to the rear to balance the weight of battery/motors. Move the damn spare to the garage!

LOL - very Honda: 100 HP at the stoplight, 475 HP out of the corners! I could accept the additional complexity for the performance. (Note to Honda engineers: please use water cooled electric motors, preferably Franklin Electric - the track is going to be hell for the motor/generator)

Has anyone ever used the air flow/drag through the radiator(s) for downforce at the rear, maybe a radiator wing? Front would be very clean, but the HSC will need much larger side scoops. Dual rear-mounted radiators seems like a good reason for centered exhausts.

As long as we are dumping the alternator, isn't it time for solinoids instead of a camshaft?

No Battery
No Alternator
No Water pump
No Starter
No Camshaft
No Timing chain
Lighter Transmission
Lighter Engine
Lighter Brakes
SH-AWD performance

Suddenly the electric motor doesn't seem so heavy!

Every Insight/Civic/Accord hybrid Honda sell, they acutally loose money, those cars are in the market because Honda wants to be the front runner in hybrid market against Toyota.

I don't believe the NSX will be an experiemential excercise. Unless F1 going to use hybrid system, you will not see a Honda halo Sports car in hybrid form. Anything that will gain weight and reduce performance will not be part of the next gen NSX. Don't forget, the NSX has always been a "package car" and the unwanted weight could cause handling handicap. I'll put money on it. The technology is not good enough to make it worth while on the NSX replacement. Perhaps when they can make it light powerful enough, it might be a good upgrade, but again, they have to design the upcoming car with that in mind.

Vancehu said:
Every Insight/Civic/Accord hybrid Honda sell, they acutally loose money, those cars are in the market because Honda wants to be the front runner in hybrid market against Toyota.

I don't believe the NSX will be an experiemential excercise. Unless F1 going to use hybrid system, you will not see a Honda halo Sports car in hybrid form. Anything that will gain weight and reduce performance will not be part of the next gen NSX. Don't forget, the NSX has always been a "package car" and the unwanted weight could cause handling handicap. I'll put money on it. The technology is not good enough to make it worth while on the NSX replacement. Perhaps when they can make it light powerful enough, it might be a good upgrade, but again, they have to design the upcoming car with that in mind.

I dunno dude. The NSX in itself was an experiment (aluminum, vtec (even though not the first) reliability in an exotic, nitrogen filled glass, etc.) And don't forget what NSX stands for: "New Sports Car Experiment" We all know its going to be a V10, but if its still going to be called an "NSX" it must come up with qualities thats never been "experimented" in sports cars before.

"Unless F1 going to use hybrid system, you will not see a Honda halo Sports car in hybrid form. "

You are absolutely correct, didn't think about that!

On the other hand...Why would Honda not have started
retooling the NSX for the 2006 requirements three years ago? And if for some strange reason they didn't retool, why not sell to the rest of the world and make the US wait? HHmmm...

"GPMA, the alliance of five F1 carmakers, is getting serious about the long threatened breakaway championship for 2008, and has even launched an official website -- gpma-online.com

A statement on the website said the group 'aim to further develop the sport for the benefit of all stakeholders, and in particular the fans.'

Fry, the Honda F1 principal, travelled from Monaco to Kronberg - near Frankfurt (Germany) - for the Global Motorsports Congress. He warned that the carmakers - also including Toyota, BMW, Mercedes and Renault - are uneasy about the apparent shift away from technology in F1.

He told reporters: 'We do have a concern that the front-running GP2 cars could probably be as quick if not quicker than rear-of-the-grid F1.'

Fry floated the concept that F1 look into starting a parallel championship 'for hybrid vehicles' -- cars that use fuel and electricity for power.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=24406

Spinner said:
I dunno dude. The NSX in itself was an experiment (aluminum, vtec (even though not the first) reliability in an exotic, nitrogen filled glass, etc.) And don't forget what NSX stands for: "New Sports Car Experiment" We all know its going to be a V10, but if its still going to be called an "NSX" it must come up with qualities thats never been "experimented" in sports cars before.

You are absolutely correct, that is why with all the stuff you mentioned, the NSX was the lightest car in that class with the best Power to Weight Ratio - when introduced, if they want to make the car lighter, they will not "experiment" on the replacement but make it as lean as possible. A hybrid system will weight at least 200 plus lbs, and it will not help if they want the car to be sub 3000lbs. You want to put money on it?

As for the new name, I think they will give it a new name. Because NSX was a freak show of it's own, and a new freak show will stir things a little.

mindretch said:
On the other hand...Why would Honda not have started
retooling the NSX for the 2006 requirements three years ago? And if for some strange reason they didn't retool, why not sell to the rest of the world and make the US wait? HHmmm...

Because it will not worth while to retool just for 300 cars a year production? As for the new model, USA is the biggest market, half the NSX produced is sold in the US, and if you didn't know, first batch of the NSXs was shipped to the US before they sold them in Japan. As for other markets, Asia is the only untapped market, and back in the days, not too many exotics made it to that part of the world. Very few Ferraris/Lambos sold in Asia except Japan.

Maybe they were going to make the HSC, but change their mind?

Maybe because they change their stratagy after decided to own a F1 team, and a new V10 NSX fits their image better?

I don't know, but they're going to make the new one...

"You want to put money on it?" Vancehu

Dualnote
DN-X
J-VX
IMAS
HP-X
RD-X

Sure. 100? -
HSC was the only non-hybrid sports car concept they've floated in the last 10 years!

Back