Newbie--what's the annual maintenance cost?

Hi Guys!

I'm looking into getting an NSX sometime within the next year. I am pretty confident about what prices are running, but have no idea what the annual maintenance costs will be. So here's what I'm looking for: somewhere between 1995-1999 NSX-T. with fairly low mileage, say 70,000. Given those parameters, what can I look forward to in maintenance when I first get the car and then what will likely need to be replaced within the next 30k miles. Also, what type of normal maintenance do these cars take and what are the costs?

Thanks!

At another 30km's, your timing belts etc, will have to be changed. I think there are 2 of them(but don't quote me on this), so more than your usual ride. Either than this, if the car is mint, not much needed given the years you are looking for. Oh..tires are a definite. Melts like butter in a microwave.

I have a 97 soon to reach its first year anniversary as my car. My car had 23K miles when I bought it and just over 30K now. In the past year I replaced the rear tires (~$300), changed the oil (DIY @ $30), manual transmission fluid (DIY @ $40), about to change the thermostat ($50), and will soon need new front tires. That's it. I'm debating what to do about the other 30K service items like the valve adjustment. I'm a long way away from the timing belt service based on mileage but I'm there on age. I will probably get it replaced next year.

If you buy a car with 70k miles I would plan on the TB+WP service at around $1500+ but you won't have to do it again for a long time.

ANY 97 should have a timing belt done ASAP regardless of mileage!!!

You can find the maintenance schedule and typical costs in the FAQ. Don't be lazy; you can do the math yourself.

I have a 97 soon to reach its first year anniversary as my car. My car had 23K miles when I bought it and just over 30K now. In the past year I replaced the rear tires (~$300), changed the oil (DIY @ $30), manual transmission fluid (DIY @ $40), about to change the thermostat ($50), and will soon need new front tires. That's it. I'm debating what to do about the other 30K service items like the valve adjustment. I'm a long way away from the timing belt service based on mileage but I'm there on age. I will probably get it replaced next year.

If you buy a car with 70k miles I would plan on the TB+WP service at around $1500+ but you won't have to do it again for a long time.

I think u should change your timing belt ASAP for peace of mind..I purchased my 96 with 19,200 mile and did'nt drive the car until the timing belt issue was taken care of.. Timing belt is a lot cheaper then a new engine..just My .02 cents

I think u should change your timing belt ASAP for peace of mind..I purchased my 96 with 19,200 mile and did'nt drive the car until the timing belt issue was taken care of.. Timing belt is a lot cheaper then a new engine..just My .02 cents

More people here than not say the same thing as you. But the NSX mechanic in Boulder that did my PPI said Acura's recommendation is conservative and since it was clear my car was not a hot weather, been stored inside, etc. that I could easily take do the TB service in a year or two. This mechanic has serviced over 100 NSXs in Colorado for a very long time and I felt confident with his assessment.

So yeah - I'm taking a risk, but I think it is a very small one. I sleep fine at night.

More people here than not say the same thing as you. But the NSX mechanic in Boulder that did my PPI said Acura's recommendation is conservative and since it was clear my car was not a hot weather, been stored inside, etc. that I could easily take do the TB service in a year or two. This mechanic has serviced over 100 NSXs in Colorado for a very long time and I felt confident with his assessment.

So yeah - I'm taking a risk, but I think it is a very small one. I sleep fine at night.
You have a ten-year-old timing belt. You are planning to change your timing belt at twelve years, rather than the recommended seven. At best, this will save you less than $100 per year in maintenance. At worst, it will cost you many thousands of dollars if it fails. Of course, this is your choice, and you are welcome to do whatever you like.

Two other points to consider: (1) People who have taken this risk and lost, have not posted about it on NSXprime, due to embarrassment. (2) Two of the leading NSX mechanics in the country, who live in areas that are not in the sunbelt, noted at NSXPO 2007 that they have seen timing belt failures by folks whose timing belts exceeded the time interval but not the mileage interval.

Just promise us one thing - if yours fails, you won't be too embarrassed to post about it here. Deal?

Last edited:
Back