Newbie question re:NSX powerband...

Hi Team:

just sold my 1990 Stage 3 Nissan 300zx TwinTurbo (approx. 400 HP)...I am now seriously considering entering into the even more attractive NSX "cult"...

Question:

My Z didn't come alive until 100MPH and the powerband didn't start until 4K and went to 7K...One great highway car...

From what I have been reading about the NSX, the powerband sounds similar...Problem is, you can't drive the car at 100MPH legally...So if you are looking for a great handling car with low end torque and power, is the NSX the right car...? I love the looks and exclusivity and these 2 things could impact my decision greatly...PLease tell me I'm wrong about the NSX powerband...Would welcome your thoughts...

Thanks

Arun
Potential Newbie

midlifecrisis2 said:
Hi Team:

just sold my 1990 Stage 3 Nissan 300zx TwinTurbo (approx. 400 HP)...I am now seriously considering entering into the even more attractive NSX "cult"...

Question:

My Z didn't come alive until 100MPH and the powerband didn't start until 4K and went to 7K...One great highway car...

From what I have been reading about the NSX, the powerband sounds similar...Problem is, you can't drive the car at 100MPH legally...So if you are looking for a great handling car with low end torque and power, is the NSX the right car...? I love the looks and exclusivity and these 2 things could impact my decision greatly...PLease tell me I'm wrong about the NSX powerband...Would welcome your thoughts...

Thanks

Arun
Potential Newbie
I am sorry but I don't understand your question. What does a powerband have to do with 100 mph? Are you asking when the VETCH kicks in in terms of RMP? That really doesn't have anything to do with 100 mph.:confused:

Good point...sorry for the confusion...

I guess the long and the short of the question is:

do you have to drive high in the powerband on an NSX to have any fun?? ie. does the real power and torque only kick in at high RPMs??

IF the answer to the above is true, how would one get more low end torque??

Thanks...

The torque curve on the car hits maximum around 2500 rpm and stays flat as a table until close to redline. The hp curve is just a straight rising angle from stop to fuel cutoff.

The car does not have the torque of some other v-6's but since it is flat, it is fun from 3000 rpm until the rev limiter, IMHO. So this means it is fun for 5000 rpm in each gear.:D

so is it hard on the car to redline at 8000 rpm in each gear...?

Also near redline in each gear, what speed r u doing? ie. in 1st what speed is redline? in 2nd, what speed is redline?

thanks...

The VGD30TT is one of the, if not the 'torquiest' japanese 6 cylinder engine ever produced hp->tq ratios concerned. The power band also creates torque quite low with stock turbos. I owned a 'full bolt-on' 'stage V' whatever you want to call one for a couple years, great car. Dynoed 398/438, stock turbos/intercoolers/injectors.

The z is incredibly fast on the expressway, I know exactly what you are talking about. I hit 182 indicated with room to go. Traction problems due to the 'focused on handling' suspension setup stock are present in 1st and 2nd gear. But that doesn't mean it isn't fast at low speeds, you just have to be a little more careful.

The NSX is going to have an entirely different feel to it, but nonetheless fun. The Z engine produces power extremely smoothly, whereas the NSX may give you more excitement. Both the Z and NSX have excellent aerodynamics that make them fun on the expressway.

I think you will shift your focus from the power delivery to the handling characteristics as you begin to have the NSX experience. I also like the much improved 6spd gearbox, the 5spd is about on par but a little tighter than the Z's 5spd.

Do you your best to get a test drive and see for yourself.

It depends if you are talking about a 97+ or pre 97 car. The gear ratios on the earlier cars is too tall, especially for 2nd gear, this is almost uncontested. You can swap final drives etc. if it is that bothersome.

All the info you are looking for can be found by searching or in the FAQ regarding the speeds of each gear, final drive ratios, etc.

[
The Z engine produces power extremely smoothly, whereas the NSX may give you more excitement. .[/QUOTE]

cool...i was hoping i would get some feedback from a TT owner...Can you elaborate on what you mean by more excitement (ie. with respect to what)...

thanks...

midlifecrisis2 said:
what do you mean when u say "the gear ratio is too tall"...what does that impact...?

Thanks...

He means that on the earlier cars it drops the engine RPMs too much when you shift to second and out of Vtec, if the gear where shorter it would stay up in the vtec range and the car would be slightly faster. To me is the biggest difference on why the later models have faster 0-60, they have a 6-speeds with shorter gears.

Hth,

Carl

I guess what you mean. Turbo needs some time to spool up and maybe you can't use the full turbo effect in 1st and 2nd gear because it accellerates that fast. :D The NSX is much more linear in powerband, you don't have to wait for the power as soon as you get on the throttle. But I guess also that you will be a little bit disappointed by the torque of the NSX compared to a heavily modified Ultra-Super-Turbo. :) If you like the punch of the turbo stay with it or buy a Comptech NSX where you really have fun. :D Back to your question: The NSX does fun in every gear at every speed (as long as you have the short gears :D). :)

Last edited:
Don't really pay attention to all the performance points. All I know is my 2002 is FAST...and very easy to drive fast...maybe too easy. I decided to strecth her legs a little yesterday on the freeway. I cruised for a while at 110mph....it was at 4500 rpm. Did I mention it felt like I was going 55mph?

Damn it will be expensive when I get caught! Until then....just one huge smile!

I don't think you understand the relationship of power, torque, and gearing. Here, read this article.

Briefly, the NSX torque curve is very flat, as Gary (ncdogdoc) noted. Even though the torque numbers of the NSX are low, VTEC creates that flat torque curve that doesn't fall off even at super high revs, so you are in a lower gear than with most other cars. What the NSX lacks in torque, it makes up in gearing.

For maximum acceleration, you should keep the NSX in the lowest gear possible without exceeding redline. This is why you don't need "low end torque"; except when you're accelerating below 20 mph, you will never be in the lower half of the revband.

midlifecrisis2 said:
so is it hard on the car to redline at 8000 rpm in each gear...?

Also near redline in each gear, what speed r u doing? ie. in 1st what speed is redline? in 2nd, what speed is redline?

thanks...

With respect to your first question above, it's just the opposite! The engine seems to be designed for very high revs, and NOT taking it up to the redline (if you're trying to get maximum performance) seems to almost, well, disappoint the engine. If you have a chance to test drive one, you'll see what I mean - the engine seems happiest in the 4500 - 8000 RPM range and you'll wish it revved to 10,000 RPM.

for a 5 speed MT.... second gear readline is at approximately 85 mph......
get a 6 speed if you can :biggrin: with a 5 MT the only gear you'll probably wind out is 1st most of the time and you'll probably only wind out 2nd gear when you pass people on the highway :biggrin: granted it is pretty sweet to downshift into 2nd gear when most people are in 4th gear :biggrin:

The Z was my first turbo car, and I was surprised how smoothly the power was delivered. This is due to the turbochargers doing much of the work instead of the raw power and intensity of a N/A engine.

A smoothly accelerating 400hp ttz doesn't feel as fast a 200hp n/a 1.8ltr integra, IMO, unless you are looking at the speedometer. It's a similar experience with the NSX. You'd think you'd need hp to feel fast and be content with a car, but the character of the NSX, or s2k for that matter, can be quite entertaining.

It'll also be nice to actually get some good gas mileage in your sportscar. I know my z was about 14/20 if I wasn't hard on it, ran very rich due to JWT tune.

Hmm...that gearing sounds very familiar to my VR-4. Whats the exact MPH anyway for each stock gear?

6-Speed VR-4
1st 41mph
2nd 79mph
3rd 106mph
4th 140ish
5th 180?
6th 200+ Course many...most...if not all...would never reach that speed, but the gearing is tall enough to do so. :)

Twinsen said:
Whats the exact MPH anyway for each stock gear?
Go to the FAQ by clicking the word FAQ in the first red bar at the top of this web page. Then click on Technical Info and Gear Ratios.

Twinsen said:
Hmm...that gearing sounds very familiar to my VR-4. Whats the exact MPH anyway for each stock gear?

6-Speed VR-4
1st 41mph
2nd 79mph
3rd 106mph
4th 140ish
5th 180?
6th 200+ Course many...most...if not all...would never reach that speed, but the gearing is tall enough to do so. :)

My 5spd Z had similar gearing, with 198 being the stock max speed by hitting stock redline in 5th. It went 155 with the limiter, 172 w/o, stock. I had some tuning and raised the limiter 600 rpms, so it was closer to 206mph. I went over 180mph a few times without much trouble.

What is suprising is the early NSX gearing wasn't too far off these numbers in 1st and 2nd, which is way to high for that particular application.

Email me if you want to see dyno sheet comparisons of your ZX (I had mine modofied and dyno'd) and a 91 NSX (with a few basic mods).
sahtt said:
My 5spd Z had similar gearing, with 198 being the stock max speed by hitting stock redline in 5th. It went 155 with the limiter, 172 w/o, stock. I had some tuning and raised the limiter 600 rpms, so it was closer to 206mph. I went over 180mph a few times without much trouble.

What is suprising is the early NSX gearing wasn't too far off these numbers in 1st and 2nd, which is way to high for that particular application.

Back