Newbie on Prime. Help on Steering Slack/Delay.

Hi NSX world. I'm new on this. I have a 96 JDM RHD Auto NSX T with 20,000km on it. There is a slight looseness/ delay in steering response when the car is stationary. I got the steering column bushes replaced and the workshop said that the ball joints are ok. Any ideas what could be causing this? Once the car moves, its ok. Only stationary and when reversing slowly can it be noticed. If the steering wheel is jerked left to right suddenly, the looseness can be heard too. I would appreciate it very much if anyone has advice on how I can fix this on my long awaited childhood dream car. Thanks so much in advance. Vincent.:confused:

Briank said:
Sounds like a problem with the power steering. Is the power steering idiot light working?

Seems like that might be easy to diagnose with the "can't turn my wheel when it's parked and the car is on" test.:biggrin:

Did replacing the bushings improve the response? How about wheel bearings, could that contribute? I have the same complaint about my steering, but I believe my bushings are original. At speed, I find the steering firms up (conventional wisdom would say that the EPS assist goes away and toe-out alignment tightens up leading to better steering response).

I got new oem bushings just fixed and the eps light is working. The steering firmed up just a little but not much. Could be the steering rack says the mechanic, but at 20K? Any other suggestions? Please help.

Back