Newbie needs help...To Buy or Not To Buy?

First off I want to say hello to all. I will keep this short and give just the facts as I hate reading long posts.

I am asking for opinions on purchase of an older NSX since I am unfamiliar with the normal prics/problems NSXs may have.

I am in the US Army stationed in Germany. My wife wants me to buy a new BMW/Volvo/Audi. I prefer sports cars and owned several Nissans and have been a die hard 90-96 Z owner/fan.

While searching here in Europe I came across a 91 NSX blk/blk. The kicker is it has 162,000m. The guy told me that he regularly visits his daughter in Italy and it's 500m one way and most of the miles are from the autobahn. All services are completed by a mechanic that takes all the NSXs in from the area. He has all service records and yes the timing belt and water pump were changed.
The car is stock except a new stereo. I know the car has a palm size dent on the drivers door less that a 1/4 inch deep and a key scratch on the left front quarter panel. Other than that no blemishes.
In the ad he is asking $24,000. After talking to him I think he may come down quite a bit.
O.K. I know it comes down to we're all grown men and the decision is mine but as I said I am unfamiliar with NSXs. I just know I have always loved them and could never afford one.
Basically I wanted anyone's input on if the car is mechanically sound and as I have described would it be a good deal for around $18,000?
Thanks for your time and assistance guys!

im_pilot said:
First off I want to say hello to all. I will keep this short and give just the facts as I hate reading long posts.

I am asking for opinions on purchase of an older NSX since I am unfamiliar with the normal prics/problems NSXs may have.

I am in the US Army stationed in Germany. My wife wants me to buy a new BMW/Volvo/Audi. I prefer sports cars and owned several Nissans and have been a die hard 90-96 Z owner/fan.

While searching here in Europe I came across a 91 NSX blk/blk. The kicker is it has 162,000m. The guy told me that he regularly visits his daughter in Italy and it's 500m one way and most of the miles are from the autobahn. All services are completed by a mechanic that takes all the NSXs in from the area. He has all service records and yes the timing belt and water pump were changed.
The car is stock except a new stereo. I know the car has a palm size dent on the drivers door less that a 1/4 inch deep and a key scratch on the left front quarter panel. Other than that no blemishes.
In the ad he is asking $24,000. After talking to him I think he may come down quite a bit.
O.K. I know it comes down to we're all grown men and the decision is mine but as I said I am unfamiliar with NSXs. I just know I have always loved them and could never afford one.
Basically I wanted anyone's input on if the car is mechanically sound and as I have described would it be a good deal for around $18,000?
Thanks for your time and assistance guys!

@ $18000, it's a pertty good deal if the seller can provided all service records as you described. Check the clutch too, it will be expensive to replace, and do a leak down test to make sure the head gasket is good, and the compression ratio is accurate... Other than that, it's a great car to own.

You can't get a new bmer for 18000 grand out there, if that's your budget, why not?

Vancehu,
Thanks for the response. I just talked to the guy again and the clutch was recently replaced. He has all the service records too.
Yeah the BMW would've ended up costing me around 40K. That's a lot of money to pay for a car that I don't even really want.

I say go for it. For 18k, if something craps out on you then replace it with hi-performance stuff!

splitz Good point

ediddynsx point taken. I spoke with the owner today and I am going to test drive it tomorrow. I have done a lot of reading on this site nad have to say you guys are a tremendous help!!!!
I hope the car turns out to be as nice as stated.
I am off to Carfax now to see what I can see.

check if the transmission is in snap ring range. check the faq here for that. If it is in snap ring. Make sure that the transmission has been fixed or replaced.

check if he still have original sound system. If so, check to see if it has been replaced. If not, the system may go bad if the volume jumps from nil to loud.
If speakers have hissing or popping noise, they need to be replaced.

check the climate control fan. If it only blows in high mode, then it the climate control unit needs to be replaced or refurbished. talk to briank on this board.

check the engine and trunks. If the struts are weak or failing. go to www.strutwise.com to get them fix.

check the windows if it rolls up slowly or makes clicking noises. the window regulator may need to be replaced or fix. If it doesnt you can buy the window fixit thingy at www.scienceofspeed.com. the are around $20 usd.

Thats pretty much I can remember...

Coming down quite a bit....I would consider $500-$2000 quite a bit. You are talking about $6k :eek: That is 25% of the price he is asking!! Sounds like either he knew he wouldn't get that much and over priced it to beging with or there are some other issues. Hopefully not.

Hey guys thanks for all the input. I went and drove the car today.

It appears the owner had a fellow member on here originally check the car out for him a few years ago. I was told his name on here was Danno I believe.

I checked just about everything I could think of as you guys listed.

Not in snap ring range.
Aftermarket sound sytem.
struts are good.
climate control works great.

The downside is the exterior isn't as nice as I had hoped. It will need minimal body repairs and I think a new paint job to make it as it should be but it was in very good condition given the miles and age.

We talked everything but price today. I am interested in seeing how he will bargain. I am thinking at least $4K for paint and body. At 162K miles it will be due another timing belt in the near future. A few other minor cosmetic issues.

The guy is very nice and seems to be honest. It just sucks that everything costs so much here in Germany and my options of mechanics is limited.

Oh I mentioned it was stock before but it has Koni shocks, a set of extra Enkei wheels, ans a custom (1 of 2?) Dali Racing exhausts.

Well wish me luck and I will let you know how it turns out.

He is asking 24K but I am going to stew on it for a day or two and shoot him an offer.

Oh did I mention that it drives GREAT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
$24K is too high for the car at the present time... even $20K is probably a bit on the high side. Since everything is in good working order, other than the paint and some dings, I think you had it right at about $18K. It also might be possible to take the car to a good detailer to have the dings taken out and paint refreshed (depending on how bad the paint really is). Again, good luck with it and I hope it works out for you!

Back