Newbie need help/ advise on buying a 91' JH4NA115XMT002571

Newbie need help/ advise on buying a 91'

Hi, I have been reading this forum for a year now. Today is the big day, I went out and test drove a red 91' and trying to close the deal. :D this is the third time I drive a NSX.

Long story short: I've been following the nsx checklist for checking the car.

Here are some thing I need you guys to give me a light on:

91' Red with 93k miles... all stock with car covers, bras, extra set of wheels (all i don't care at all). private party. 26k.
It's not in snap range.

1. The paint job did match and in a good acceptable condition. (Not perfect.) However, owner said the passenger side front fender and door had been replaced and repainted due to an incident that wind blew a shopping cart and damage them.

2. The headlight at the same passenger side, I can see the gap towards the front of the headlight. (The gap is getting wider towards the frontend) Is there any adjustment on It??? If not does that mean the frame had been bent?? The light doesn't scratch when I flipped them up/down.

3. Otherwise It drives perfect, everything was tight and solid.

4. There's an exception that the stereo volume control knob is loose but it works like it should be. Is that a common problem??

5. The clutch pedal had a little sound (like some noice from the spring) when I press and depress when the engine's shut down. It didn't interfere or noticeable on my test drive.

6. When I run the car fax, the car does not have any record after 3/27/2000 at 43,485 miles. On the test drive, I had asked him if he had all the service records and he told me he can give them to me. 1 thing for sure is that He went to Canada for the 90k service and changed timing belt/ water pump. He told me the reason he did that is because his fiance at the time was living there.

Please help me and let me know if I get a fair deal. This is my first car I ever bought on my own and I had worked very hard trying to get myself one.

Should I go ahead and buy that??

Thank you.

By the way, here is the Vin# JH4NA115XMT002571. If you guys can double check the car fax for me that would be great.
Thank you again.

Last edited:
Re: Newbie need help/ advise on buying a 91'

NSXDreamer2 said:
1. The paint job did match and in a good acceptable condition. (Not perfect.) However, owner said the passenger side front fender and door had been replaced and repainted due to an incident that wind blew a shopping cart and damage them.[/I]

Just make sure you have it inspected for further damage. If the repair was done corectly and well, there is nothing to worry about IMHO.

2. The headlight at the same passenger side, I can see the gap towards the front of the headlight. (The gap is getting wider towards the frontend) Is there any adjustment on It??? If not does that mean the frame had been bent?? The light doesn't scratch when I flipped them up/down.

The plastic headlight cover is removable to gain access to the headlight bulbs. It may just need more alignment. Truthfully, every time I take mine off I have a heck of a time trying to realign it. It does take a few trial and error by screwing it down tight, fliping the light down, looking at it, making adjustments, and doing over and over until it looks right.

5. The clutch pedal had a little sound (like some noice from the spring) when I press and depress when the engine's shut down. It didn't interfere or noticeable on my test drive.

Mine does that at times as well.

Please help me and let me know if I get a fair deal. This is my first car I ever bought on my own and I had worked very hard trying to get myself one.

Should I go ahead and buy that??

Thank you.

For $26K it appears you have a good deal provided there are no hidden issues with the car. Have you been able to get a dealer inspect the car?

Ojas and Chris provided some great information.

I would first call the Acura dealer where the 90k was done. This dealer will have records of what was done to the car and what was not done to the car. The dealer will also mark down anything else they thought needed to be done to the car when it was there. If the owner decided not to do these things, the dealer will show a record of this.

Assuming everything checks out at the dealer and the car was serviced as described by the seller, it needs to go to an Acura dealer for a Pre-purchase inspection. This process is invaluable. Should the car check out, then you will be more comforatable with your purchase. If the inspection finds that the car has some minor problems, you can negotiate on the price. If the car has major problems...you have the option of walking away.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank You very much guys. I will definately do that.

so do you guys have any idea about this?
6. When I run the car fax, the car does not have any record after 3/27/2000 at 43,485 miles. On the test drive, I had asked him if he had all the service records and he told me he can give them to me. 1 thing for sure is that He went to Canada for the 90k service and changed timing belt/ water pump. He told me the reason he did that is because his fiance at the time was living there.

He told me he had the service done at Langley, BC., Canada. I guessed I'll just going to give a call to them this afternoon.

I'm very excited.

Back