Newbie jonesing badly for NSX

I'm new here - been lurking for a while and am glad to have found the forum. I've learned a lot and appreciate the exchange of info. I've wanted an NSX since '91 when they first came out and will finally be in a position to get one pretty soon. Thinking '95+ for power steering and targa. A question though - a friend of mine has a 1989 Ferrari Mondial and said to me "Dude, get an '84 308 GTB - you know, Magnum PI". Any thoughts from anyone here on that comparison?

I'm new here - been lurking for a while and am glad to have found the forum. I've learned a lot and appreciate the exchange of info. I've wanted an NSX since '91 when they first came out and will finally be in a position to get one pretty soon. Thinking '95+ for power steering and targa. A question though - a friend of mine has a 1989 Ferrari Mondial and said to me "Dude, get an '84 308 GTB - you know, Magnum PI". Any thoughts from anyone here on that comparison?

I always find it interesting when someone comes on the NSX board and asks if they should buy something other than a NSX.:confused:

Buy what you want and tell your friend to buy what he wants. But, come on....a 308? I would rather go buy a Mustang GT.

I looked at those for awhile before getting the NSX. By now they’re actually within reach of someone who makes a regular-human’s money. But getting it wasn’t the problem. The maintenance (here we go again) was the deal killer. According to what I read, the engine must be pulled to service the TB, and that job alone will cost 5K, and if you ignore it and blow the engine … well, the cost is insane. There was more stuff like that, but you get my drift.
And besides, it’s only my research. I’m sure someone that owns one will tell you what the car is like to drive. It’s probably a blast. And some people just gotta have that prancing horse on the side of the car.
I wanted the fun but as few headaches as possible. Ergo, NSX.

If you buy a 308/328 you will be "jonesing badly" for a 2nd job. :biggrin:

not-this-again.jpg

LOL, I do vaguely remember one episode of Magnum PI when the Ferrari was in the shop. I can't remember why though.

I've owned both an 85' 308qv and a 92' NSX. They are VERY different cars and for different purposes. The 308qv isn't that slow, 0-60 in mid 5sec range. (the old 80-82's were the slow ones)
The 308 is a very raw sports car that is a blast to drive, it's also not for daily driving,- I just used mine for weekend cruising around. Maintenance is relatively the same as the NSX, EXCEPT for the major service (timing belt etc), that is done WITHOUT removing the engine but still runs about $4k-$5k, if done by a Ferrari shop. (every 5 years-30k miles) that's what would make it an expensive daily driver.
The NSX is a very refined fun car that CAN be used comfortably for daily driving, if you wish, or even tracking once in a while, I love both.
If you want a sports car that looks great and has all the frills, the NSX is hard to beat.

Check this out. Good look at what actually living with a 308 is like, but not from the viewpoint of diehard Tifosi.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/category/cat.1984Ferrari308GTSiQuattrovalvole

Looks like a lot of fun, if you can afford it. At the same time, it looks like a huge headache. I personally think every true sports car enthusiast should own a Ferrari at some point in their life, but I plan on waiting until the 355 is a little cheaper before making my move.

And I'll keep the NSX even then.

Nick

I've owned both an 85' 308qv and a 92' NSX. They are VERY different cars and for different purposes. The 308qv isn't that slow, 0-60 in mid 5sec range. (the old 80-82's were the slow ones)
The 308 is a very raw sports car that is a blast to drive, it's also not for daily driving,- I just used mine for weekend cruising around. Maintenance is relatively the same as the NSX, EXCEPT for the major service (timing belt etc), that is done WITHOUT removing the engine but still runs about $4k-$5k, if done by a Ferrari shop. (every 5 years-30k miles) that's what would make it an expensive daily driver.
The NSX is a very refined fun car that CAN be used comfortably for daily driving, if you wish, or even tracking once in a while, I love both.
If you want a sports car that looks great and has all the frills, the NSX is hard to beat.

Sptrader - thanks for the thoughtful post. I really do appreciate it - just the kind of comment I was hoping to get.

If your really jonesing for an NSX buy my 95. I'll make you a hell of a deal since my 2005 is due in in about a week. and my wife says I can't get my Exige untill I sell the 95.

If your really jonesing for an NSX buy my 95. I'll make you a hell of a deal since my 2005 is due in in about a week. and my wife says I can't get my Exige untill I sell the 95.

I don't see your 95 listed on Prime for sale:confused:
I MIGHT be interested in it. Would have to sell mine first.:cool:

Back