Newbie here, questions about NSX (I know nothing!)

First off my name is Joe and I live in Northern California...soon to be San Diego. I currently drive a 1995 BMW M3 with 77k miles on it which I have had for about 5 months. My question for you guys is do you think it would be worth selling and getting an NSX? Right now my insurrance on my M3 is CRAZY high, I heard from my agent that the M3 is the 2nd most expensive car to insure...I have no idea why. Handle's great, pretty quick on a straight line, but by no means should be this expensive. Here are my questions...

Is it possible to pick up a good condition NSX for around $20,000?

How many miles are the engines good for?

Are these cars pretty reliable? Do they need frequent tune-ups and maintanance?

Are repairs expensive/hard to find places to work on the car?

What are some likes/dislikes about an NSX?

I love the looks, and I'm way too into modifying, and need a car that's pretty much a complete package as is. I thought the M3 was going to be, but to be honest...I'm an attention *bleep* and love having something unique that will turn heads. My car is nice now, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I just see myself wanting to modify it more.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll think of some more questions and I'd really appreciate it if you guys/gals could help me out! Thanks! Joe

MPOWR95 said:
do you think it would be worth selling and getting an NSX? Right now my insurrance on my M3 is CRAZY high
Ask your agent how much it would cost for you to insure an NSX.

MPOWR95 said:
Is it possible to pick up a good condition NSX for around $20,000?
No.

Have you looked in the Pricing section of the FAQ? Click the word FAQ in the red bar at the top of your screen, the one that looks like this:

04jannavbar.gif

The pricing section is in the "Buy, Sell" area.

MPOWR95 said:
How many miles are the engines good for?
A well-maintained NSX engine should last for at least 200K miles without an overhaul, and probably a lot more.

MPOWR95 said:
Are these cars pretty reliable?
They are extremely reliable. But when they need repairs, they can be expensive. Probably no more so than for an M3, though.

MPOWR95 said:
Do they need frequent tune-ups and maintanance?
You'll find the maintenance schedule in the FAQ. It's virtually identical to that of the Civic, Accord, etc.

MPOWR95 said:
Are repairs expensive/hard to find places to work on the car?
Repairs - particularly parts - can be expensive, but no more so than for BMWs.

There are dealers and independent mechanics in many parts of the country that have a lot of experience with the NSX, including several in Northern California and Applied Motorsports near San Diego. I would stick to them for complex tasks (clutch replacements, timing belt replacements, etc). Any competent mechanic can do routine tasks like brake jobs, tire changes, oil changes.

YOU ROCK! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I'll check out the FAQ section and see what I can do. THANKS!

wow, the FAQ section is really informative. I'm going to have to look over what I can afford especially with moving to San Diego. Maybe if I move there I'll be too busy to worry about what I drive, so I'll slow down the modding of my car.

Back