Newbie Considering Purchase

Hello All,

New to the forum and the NSX. I have always liked the car but never serioulsy considered buying one until recently. On a whim I drove by my Acura dealer and he had just gotten in a 1993 black/black with 87K miles. Car has been in Florida all of it's life. Looks and drives great.

He did not know the price yet becuase he said service had not gone through it yet but he guessed the price would be in the $28-$32k range. He said once service went through it the car would be "pristine"

So my questions to you are:

1) Is this price range reasonable?
2) What items should I be concerend about with an NSX in general and a 1993 model in particular?
3) Is this a "drive every day in traffic car" or a "drive on a nice Sunday car"\
4) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

David

I just pick up a pristine 91 last night with 51K on the clock for $27. At 87000 miles I'd make sure the complete timing belt service has recently or will be done. I've got the reciept for mine at $2,000. Clutch service is another expensive issue to address. Hell, I'd attempt to contact the prevous owner because dealers will tell you what you want to hear yet they usually have no knowledge of the cars history. 93 model at least gets you out if the snapring range. Good luck, I've never been happier with a car..........Ever!

I'm a newbie myself in the same boat as you but from what I've gathered thus far from the many knowledgeable people on this board is that, it would be ideal for the dealer to show you evidence of a recent timing belt change and possibly clutch depending on its current condition. Those are the 2 big $$$ fixes that this car goes through. Other than that, its pretty much the usual stuff like any 14 year old car has gotta be checked out, right? Oh, and there are plenty of people who daily drive their NSX as well....
good luck!

Two things:
1) Use this forum to find a club member or NSX owner check it out for you.
2) I'm on my 3rd NSX, just can't stay away. That should tell you something about NSX ownership!

1) That is a resonable price. I would be concerned about obtaining the maintenence records though. That is why I like private party sales so you can get the records.
2)TB/WP, Clutch,window regulators, cooling hoses, check out the FAQ section on this site...there is a buyers checklist.
3) Both, but I just drive mine on the weekends...I treat it special and don't like to park it just anywhere.
4) Have a Pre Purchase Inspection done with a reputable NSX tech and look for telltale signs of any body damage or paint work...CarFax is worthless...only good for registration info.

I just picked up a pristine 91 last night with 51K on the clock for $27.
That was a good find, Congratulations. I wouldn't even think of selling mine for that cheap.

Thanks Guys,

I have a follow-up. My WIFE found one she likes better. This one is a 96 with 53K miles, targa top. I do like the targa better. Plus it is literally across the country and will have to be shipped to me.

The question is: is a car with 30k fewer miles, targa top and 3 years newer worth an additional $15k? Plus the wife WANTS me to get this one.:biggrin:

David

Thanks Guys,

I have a follow-up. My WIFE found one she likes better. This one is a 96 with 53K miles, targa top. I do like the targa better. Plus it is literally across the country and will have to be shipped to me.

The question is: is a car with 30k fewer miles, targa top and 3 years newer worth an additional $15k? Plus the wife WANTS me to get this one.:biggrin:

David

A wise man once said that one should never argue with a Wife who has given her consent to a major toy purchase. :biggrin: That is worth $15k all on it's own. Especially when others have threatened their happy home to acquire such a prize. :frown: ......Steve

I meant to post the link to this car. I do not know anything about it yet regarding maintenance. Does anyone know this car? How does it look from what you can see here? I like the more subtle green color.

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/vehicle.aspx?stockNo=16020&title=1996%20Acura%20Nsx-T%202%20Dr%20Coupe&inv=330&vin=JH4NA1182TT000466&pos=2&current=1&size=50&nav=specialinterest&filter=(Inventory.Comment2%20=%20'Specialty%20Vehicle')&elName=Make&Make=Acura

Thanks Guys,

David

So the '96 has an asking price of $43k-$47k? If so, I do not think that is a very good deal at all. That is the price range of a decent '97 NSX-T. The '97+ models have many changes over the predecessors. The '95 and '96 NSX-Ts are considered the slowest and least performance-oriented of the NSXs since some chassis rigidity is lost and weight has been added due to the removable top, however, the 3.0 liter engine remains unchanged. With the '97+ NSX-Ts you get the larger 3.2 liter engine and 6 gears.

So the '96 has an asking price of $43k-$47k? If so, I do not think that is a very good deal at all. That is the price range of a decent '97 NSX-T. The '97+ models have many changes over the predecessors. The '95 and '96 NSX-Ts are considered the slowest and least performance-oriented of the NSXs since some chassis rigidity is lost and weight has been added due to the removable top, however, the 3.0 liter engine remains unchanged. With the '97+ NSX-Ts you get the larger 3.2 liter engine and 6 gears.
I don't think $43k-$47k for a ASKING price is unreasonable for a excellent condition 96T. I don't know anything about this car but when i was shopping for mine there didn't seem to be much difference in the 96T-97T asking prices. And how often does a Good deal come around, very seldom.

Yes the 97T has some improvements over the 96T but all years are VERY nice cars and some people could care less about a 1 second (or whatever) 0-60 time difference.

Oh,

Welcome to the forum David,
welcome.gif

It's a Great community and a Excellent car.

I don't think $43k-$47k for a ASKING price is unreasonable for a excellent condition 96T. I don't know anything about this car but when i was shopping for mine there didn't seem to be much difference in the 96T-97T asking prices. And how often does a Good deal come around, very seldom.

Yes the 97T has some improvements over the 96T but all years are VERY nice cars and some people could care less about a 1 second (or whatever) 0-60 time difference.

Oh,

Welcome to the forum David,
welcome.gif

It's a Great community and a Excellent car.

I agree. All NSXs are very nice cars!

Thanks Guys,

David

David,
Take it from me, when my wife gave me the OK, I bought my NSX within 5 days. I've been looking for awaile, but wife never gave the OK. Before that, she has always said "we don't need a 2 seater sports car (4 kids will do that)". After years of persistence, my wife finally gave in. Don't argue with the wife on this. The wife always wins. If the wife is not happy, you will not be happy. She guarantees it.:biggrin:

Try to hook up with local NSX owner and see if they will offer you a ride or a test drive. That way, you kind of know what to expect when you test drive the 96 targa. If you are not going to be tracking/racing, I don't think it's going to matter if the NSX is a 96 or not. If the 96 targa checks out in good order, you will have a big grin ( like this :biggrin: ) every time you drive it. Good luck in your search.:smile:

Hello All,

New to the forum and the NSX. I have always liked the car but never serioulsy considered buying one until recently. On a whim I drove by my Acura dealer and he had just gotten in a 1993 black/black with 87K miles. Car has been in Florida all of it's life. Looks and drives great.

He did not know the price yet becuase he said service had not gone through it yet but he guessed the price would be in the $28-$32k range. He said once service went through it the car would be "pristine"

So my questions to you are:

1) Is this price range reasonable?
2) What items should I be concerend about with an NSX in general and a 1993 model in particular?
3) Is this a "drive every day in traffic car" or a "drive on a nice Sunday car"\
4) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

David

David, I gather you are also in Florida? Look up the SouthEast Forum section on prime. You will likely be able to find a local NSX owner willing to link up with you for help if you post a thread. I'm located in Miami if you are nearby, let me know:biggrin:

I'll tell ya, I love the T top on my car. I know a lot of people prefer the solid top on the earlier models, but I wouldn't give up my T top for anything. The only thing I don't like about it is that after driving for a couple hours, I tend to look like a boiled lobster.:(

I'll tell ya, I love the T top on my car. I know a lot of people prefer the solid top on the earlier models, but I wouldn't give up my T top for anything. The only thing I don't like about it is that after driving for a couple hours, I tend to look like a boiled lobster.:(

Hehe, I bought my S2000 and "what the heck was I thinking" since I live in Miami. But, I still put the top down often. I have a natural tan also, so I don't have to worry about Lobsterfication (My word).

Although, the best time to go topless is at night. I guess having a T-top NSX would be nice also at night. But, with the NSX, I'm more performance minded. I much prefer coupes. Since I highly doubt I will find a late model coupe, I will have to live with it:biggrin:

Back