New toy...

Not really NSX related. I just picked up a bike after not having one for awhile. This is my first Ducati. I sort of have mixed feelings about it after one day of ownership. I haven't gotten a chance to take it through any twisty roads, but on the freeway it was pretty uncomfortable... my balls are seriously cooked (is there no insulation under the seat?)... and the seat is pretty damn hard. This is coming from a guy who used to daily drive a GSXR 600... which I thought was reasonably comfortable. She sure is pretty though...

Does anyone in the area have any Ducati experience?

99_ducati_748.jpg

Well, I have some experience. I had a 748 and R1. My thoughts were very different. I thought the Duc was very very comfortable. I liked especially how the gas tank was thinner and made to fit your legs around it. On the R1, I felt like I was riding a horse, the tank seemed so huge and I felt bowlegged.(spelling?) I would get cramps in my legs from the R1. Also, the 748 feels more refined than any other bike I've owned. It just lacked the power of the R1. Oh I also think the way the rear seat flips over is pretty cool. :cool:

Not a really nice experience, but I fell off of a 999R while in Hawaii. I was going to buy it to match my NSX (red) but after feeling what 1000cc feels like on your leg I gave the notion up. Beautiful bikes, exotic sound (open carbon clutch cover on the one I "rode") and great for the beach cruising scene because in Hawaii we don't need to wear helmets. But I dropped it...:frown:
DJ

Duc's are notoriously unnecessarily uncomfortable and usually cook various body parts. That being said, if you have full leathers on you don't notice it as much. The RC51 is probably as similar as a Japanese bike can get IMO, mostly due to its vtwin construction and race ergos.

Great bikes but the 1098 is probably the only one I'd seriously consider picking up at this point based on my needs in a sport bike. I've got a 954RR right now as a daily driver while my cars sit at home all day; then again my commute is 8 miles each way.

I tried to take her out to Lime Creek today. She left me stranded part way there. I found a blown 20amp fuse, I was able to buy a box of fuses at Autozone and replaced the broken fuse, which got me half way back before it blew again. Thankfully I had the whole box, so one more fuse got me home.

So this is my third day of ownership and I get to fuck with electrical problems.

If anyone wants a good deal on a clean 99 748 let me know (I think she may even be an S model, that or the rear Showa shock is aftermarket). I'm also willing to trade for a clean Japanese 600 or 750. :P

Last edited:
Well I spent an hour going over all the wiring with a multimeter. I couldn't find anything wrong. Whatever I did, I must have tweaked a loose connection or something back in place, because the problem went away. I guess it is a demon that I will have to deal with later.

I finally got the bike out to Lime Creek (local twisty road). The Ducati was in its element there. The first thing you really notice on the Ducati is that the seating is very different than a Japanese I4 bike. You sit a lot further forward, and a little further down.

The bike turned in good and was stable mid corner as long as I was careful with the throttle. I found that the throttle is a little on the on/off side, and it was a little hard to modulate mid corner, mostly turning the throttle off too much when I just wanted to back it down a little. Riding a twin is also going to take some getting used too. The bike really makes power all over the power band and I found myself doing more shifting than was necessary (I used to have to work to keep the 600 above 9K RPM).

I am working on shifting smoother with the dry clutch. You definitely want to blip the throttle on down shifts, or the rear tire will do some scary stuff. I am also finding it a little harder to make my shifts as smooth as on my 600 either up or down.

My current impression is that the Ducati is really a fun bike on a twisty road. It is not a bike that I will likely make the 45 minute commute to work on very often. The seat/tank get too hot with just jeans on after about 35 minutes when the weather is in the 70's or hotter. I am also nervous that I will end up on the side of the freeway.

If riding pretty hard you should always blip the throttle on downshifts more so on a twin. Now you have alot engine breaking with the twin. Take some time and set the suspension up for you and your riding style. Have fun with you duc.

Back