New to the NSX world

How's it going everyone?

I am looking to buy my first NSX. The shop that will be doing the majority of the major work on the car (body work, etc) has expressed to me that they are able to purchase an NA1 for me for around 8-10 thousand dollars in decent condition.

The plans for the car are a full rebuild, repaint, NA2 front end, turbocharging system along with various odds and ends modifications.
Are NSXs expensive/difficult to maintain?
Does the price that I was quoted sound too low?

I am not much of a Honda guy normally, but oddly enough the NSX became the most sound idea I had for a much more... elite import then what I am accustomed to. I have an AE86 hatch currently, and a 2011 Corolla as a daily driver. :redface:
I look forward to some good feed back!

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: By decent I mean it runs and smells like a dead carny and probably needs some TLC.

Well I hope that I am not being BS'd.
I have every reason to trust them so far, my AE86 is pristine and they have tracked down some IGNORANT had to find stuff for the prices that they said they could find them for.

$8K - $10K in decent shape...good luck with that.

$8K - $10K in decent shape...good luck with that.

Keep in mind my idea of decent is coming from being an 80s car guy.
Decent meant that the body was straight and the interior was mostly complete.
But was covered in bird crap, needed new paint, the interior smelled like a dead carny and could use some TLC.

Last edited:
NA2 front end

Does the price that I was quoted sound too low?
EDIT: By decent I mean it runs and smells like a dead carny and probably needs some TLC.

First, the NA2 fronts ends do look more modern, I have one on my car. :tongue:

Second, the only NSX that costs 8-10k is a salvage accident car before it is fixed. It will not be drivable.

Well I hope that I am not being BS'd.
I have every reason to trust them so far, my AE86 is pristine and they have tracked down some IGNORANT had to find stuff for the prices that they said they could find them for.

If they can do it getting them on it. Have them buy 2 and I will buy the second one off you.

Yeah something is definetley way off with whatever you're getting . I believe that price for a rolling chassis maybe. Even wrecked NSXs go for a min of 10-12k(horrendous condition) normal wrecks 14-18 for NA1 with high miles

It sounded kinda far fetched to me, but I have yet to have a reason not to trust the shop.

Can you please provide Pics? Your "Shop Guys" must have sent you photo's. I would love to see the actual condition of this said NSX? ANy flood damamge? Clean title? Has it been parked for the last 19 years? We need more info on the car. Like previously states, 8-10k for an NSX is not a reasonable price.

My guess is that your $8-10k quote is for "The plans for the car are a full rebuild, repaint, NA2 front end, turbocharging system along with various odds and ends modifications. ", although even that sounds pretty low.

My guess is that you are looking at:

$20-25k donor car
$15k modifications

Sorry if my peers and I come off sounding so negetive but on this site we keep a good eye on NSX prices in any condition. These cars are rare and some of the parts are discontinued or are going to be discontinued soon. And even the parts that are still available from Acura will cost more than your typical Honda or Acura model. An NSX with a straight body and half assed interior will be costly and $14 to $18K is about right. A wrecked NSX, depending on how wrecked, will be costly due to the value of it's parts when parted out. Some have made as much as $15 to $20K by parting a wrecked NSX out.

Keep in mind that the NSX is a rare exotic car, no longer in production. They are not your average Honda though just about as reliable if maintained. And definately not as plentiful as a Corolla. There maybe (guessing now) about 6,000 of them left in the US.

Now, if you do get the deal you are talking about on a "TLC car", your first cost will be getting the car in driving condition. An NSX needing TLC will always have deferred maintainence and on an exotic sports car that is critical. (This is where Shawn and those who rebuild these cars should chime in on the laundry list and cost.) But my guess is that it could be at a minimum of $8K additional to get the car in good running condition.

Then, mods like forced induction will cost anywhere from $15 to $25 or $30K or more depending on how much HP you are going for because these parts are custom made for the NSX and you won't find them at Summit Racing, J.C. Whitney or Jeggs. You will find them at Angus, SOS and CT Engineering and they aren't cheap but they are reliable if properly installed by someone very familier with NSXs. We aren't trying to discourage you at all. Some of us have waited over 20 years to get one of these cars because we found out the reality of owning one was more than we could afford at the time. And I'm not saying that you can't afford it. I'm just stating the reality of these cars. I do hope that you get the deal that you are looking for and I hope that you will post the rebuild on Prime's Builds directory with pictures. But, in my educated opinion, it will cost more than you think. Also, I would suggest reading the NSXPrime Wiki to learn as a much as possible about the car. It will help you know if the work on your NSX is being done right and I would also encourage you to read the Builds treads on here as well. This site has all of the information that you will need to purchase, build and maintain an NSX. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

And the perpetuating of stupid fallacies continues. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN NA2 FRONT END. There is '91-'01 with pop up headlights & '02-'05 with fixed headlights. There is an NA2 ENGINE (available '97-'05) & guess what boys & girls, it came in cars with both style noses!!!! Guess what else that means, there are NA1 cars with both noses too!!! Body style has nothing to do with power train. If you want an '02-'05 nose, buy one or one that has been converted already. If you want pop ups buy a '91-'01 with whatever engine you want or can afford, NA1 or NA2

And if this bastard is going to cost me more that is perfectly fine, I am a toyota guy normally.
I was already anticipating some serious spending on this project.

Being used to rusted out pieces of crap that need restoration is something I am perfectly used to.

- - - Updated - - -

You could say I am stepping up into the big leagues. I have owned AE86s, WRXs, and GTis before.
Buuuuuuuuuut. I wanted something more elite. I don't know crap about NSXs, but the shop that I refer to rebuilt my AE86 hatch with absolute perfection achieved and did everything for the prices that they said they would. Even JDM parts sourced for lower prices then I thought was conceivable.

And if this bastard is going to cost me more that is perfectly fine, I am a toyota guy normally.

Being used to rusted out pieces of crap that need restoration is something I am perfectly used to.

- - - Updated - - -

You could say I am stepping up into the big leagues. I have owned AE86s, WRXs, and GTis before.
Buuuuuuuuuut. I wanted something more elite. I don't know crap about NSXs, but the shop that I refer to rebuilt my AE86 hatch with absolute perfection achieved and did everything for the prices that they said they would. Even JDM parts sourced for lower prices then I thought was conceivable.

Excellent. I think we've answered your questions and I hope that you use this forum as a resource to learn "crap about NSXs". It sounds like you know what you want and have an idea of how to get it. Keep us informed on your progress. And remember the rule here is "Pictures or it never happened." I'm looking forward to reading about your build.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN NA2 FRONT END. guess what boys & girls, it came in cars with both style noses!!!! Guess what else that means, there are NA1 cars with both noses too!!!

Shhh, no need to yell. We all know the designations, but since it pops up daily I am not sure it is worth correcting every time. With any amount of Prime reading noobs will figure it out. Notice the :tongue: face after my post as it was an attempt at humor but obviously a bit to subtle. FYI, my car is a NA2 and it does have a front end. :biggrin:

If you are a Toyota guy and want to heavily mod a car why not start with a NA Supra? They can be purchased at a much lower starting point for a running car and the sky's the limit for mods.

Last edited:
mmmmm dead carny.......:confused:

I'm surprised you're not going the Supra route. Like it's said above the donor car if in need of a lot of work is going to cost between 15-20k. There was a white NSX in my area that had a failure in the unibody as a result of a shotty repair and I believe they were asking 18k for it (zebra interior by the way). You may want to get your hands on a better quality car to start off with. It may save you thousands in the long run. Good luck and make sure you document your journey if you do find that diamond in the rough.

or perhaps he is putting his proverbial nose to the grindstone and working his tail off to earn money to do the project. Such enthusiasm would leave little time for surfing on Prime :wink:

Back