New to prime. Need some advice.

Hey everyone,
My name is Chris. I am new to this community. I am in the process of purchasing a new NSX. I also have a 2002 S2000 and am a member of S2ki. That community helped me alot and many members there tell me that this is a great community also. I look forward to meeting and talking with everyone.
I am not quite sure if I want to get a used NSX or get a new one. Money is not the object, just not sure what is the best way to go. I really like the body style of the recent years ('02-'04). Is there any great technical difference between these years?? Also, I am looking to modify/personalize it performance- and appearance-wise and would like some advice and direction on who and where to get parts from.
I thank you all for any input,
Chris

To answer the parts question, most everyone on this forum has had great experiences with http://www.scienceofspeed.com . Guys that work there are also on this forum, and constantly show us the new stuff they have (the new headlight conversion kits look great!) and help with technical questions.

Nick.

Hi Chris,

Welcome. There's a lot of good information here, and a lot of people ready to help answer questions. Don't forget to go through the NSX FAQ first - it will answer a lot of your questions - and try searching through these forums.

The drivetrain of the '02-04 is identical with that of the '97-01, but the body modifications improved the aerodynamics, increasing top speed from 168 mph to 175 mph. Check out the FAQ for a more complete list of changes introduced in 2002 (HID, larger front wheels, etc).

As for a new car vs a used one, I think this is the same decision as for any car. A new car comes with a warranty and you will be the first one driving it, and will know anything that has ever happened to it. A used car costs less - considerably less, the older it is and the more miles it has - but there are risks that things will be wrong with it, etc.

Also, if you're really intent on modding an NSX, don't be afraid to get an older one. A lot of the older NSXs have low mileage and have been very well kept, and represent a great value compared with the new ones. The early ones may also be easier to mod. But I would also suggest that you get the car first, and live with it bone stock for a while, to see exactly what you like and don't like about it. The NSX is just so very good, bone stock, that you may decide not to mod it as much as you expect to, or to leave many parts of it alone. Don't listen to what others say about what to change; make up your own mind.

In addition to the previously-mentioned Science of Speed, which you're probably already familiar with for its S2000 lineup, another place that has a lot of NSX aftermarket parts is Dali Racing.

Good luck.

CRCsNSXr said:
Money is not the object, just not sure what is the best way to go. I really like the body style of the recent years ('02-'04).
Welcome to the forum. If money really is not an issue, and you prefer the newer design, by all means go for it! There are a lot of folks who still appreciate the old design, so it would be real considerate of you to leave those specimens for them to enjoy. :)

Good luck!

Re: Re: New to prime. Need some advice.

PHOEN$X said:
Welcome to the forum. If money really is not an issue, and you prefer the newer design, by all means go for it! There are a lot of folks who still appreciate the old design, so it would be real considerate of you to leave those specimens for them to enjoy. :)

Good luck!

That made me laugh. :D

Seriously though, I think I will get the new one. For the reasons that nsxtacy listed: warranty and I am the only one who will have owned it. I am very meticulous with my cars and would always "wonder" if I bought a used one. I guess if I thought about I could have answered my own question on that one :rolleyes: . And thanks for the info on that parts deadeye, I do remember "scienceofspeed", quality stuff.

Thanks alot guys and I'll keep you posted. I am looking for a
GP White/Black Interior.

Take care and thanks for the welcome,
Chris

Re: Re: Re: New to prime. Need some advice.

CRCsNSXr said:
...Thanks alot guys and I'll keep you posted. I am looking for a
GP White/Black Interior.

Take care and thanks for the welcome,
Chris

Good color choice....I can tell you are a smart guy. :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: New to prime. Need some advice.

Meeyatch1 said:
Good color choice....I can tell you are a smart guy. :D

Thanks Mitch, you too,
I have always had a black car (2 black accords, a black prelude, and a black audi a4) and trust me they are great looking when clean, but DAAAAYYUUMMMM, they are a pain in the a$$ to keep up. I just think the white in this car shows off the lines extremely well and really like the look with the black top and B-pillars. Dealer informed me today that they can have it here in 2 weeks. They had to locate one all the way up in New York. Only downside to my situation is that my wife wants me to get rid of my '02 S2000, but I have wanted an NSX since they debuted. I have always had offers on it, so shouldn't be too hard to sell.

I'll keep everyone posted and thanks again,

Chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New to prime. Need some advice.

CRCsNSXr said:
Thanks Mitch, you too,
I have always had a black car (2 black accords, a black prelude, and a black audi a4) and trust me they are great looking when clean, but DAAAAYYUUMMMM, they are a pain in the a$$ to keep up. I just think the white in this car shows off the lines extremely well and really like the look with the black top and B-pillars...

I was the same way. If you go to my storage garage you will find an NSX, Integra GSR, and Accord EX all in black from my 'all cars in black' phase. Now I have moved on to white and have the white NSX and S2000 ('02 White/ALL red) along with some other cars and such.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New to prime. Need some advice.

CRCsNSXr said:
...Dealer informed me today that they can have it here in 2 weeks. They had to locate one all the way up in New York. Only downside to my situation is that my wife wants me to get rid of my '02 S2000, but I have wanted an NSX since they debuted. I have always had offers on it, so shouldn't be too hard to sell.

Was that NSX new??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New to prime. Need some advice.

Meeyatch1 said:
Was that NSX new??

Yes, brand new

Hey guys,
Got some business done yesterday at the dealer here in Augusta. I got them to give me $24,500 for my '02 S2000 and placed an order for the '04 White/Black NSX 3.2L manual. I was with the sales manager when doing a search for one and there wasn't even a white one with any interior or transmission in all 50 states!!!!! They are going to order it and should take about 3-4 months to get it, but well worth the wait. There is a new Black/Black '04 about 2 hours from here in Charlotte they could get me right now, even said they would come off list $2k, but every car I've ever had is black and I really like how the white shows off the lines of this car. Got a great rate from my credit union here 2.9% and insurance on it is about $60 cheaper every 6 months than the S2000!! Can't wait to get a hold of this thing, been wanting one since they first came out 14 years ago. I honestly believe this is my most favorite automobile, with the exception of an Enzo (which is pretty much a fairy tale).
I will keep everyone posted.

-Chris

Chris,

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news but, you can't get a GP white with black top. That is only in the coupes and they don't produce those anymore for the states. Yours will be an NSX-T so it will have white pillars and a top...

CRCsNSXr said:
they could get me right now, even said they would come off list $2k, but every car I've ever had is black and I really like how the white shows off the lines of this car.
Are you paying full list price for the car??? :eek:

Tebbnsxr said:
Chris,

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news but, you can't get a GP white with black top. That is only in the coupes and they don't produce those anymore for the states. Yours will be an NSX-T so it will have white pillars and a top...

I know that, I'm talking about a white with black interior

nsxtasy said:
Are you paying full list price for the car??? :eek:

Haven't really worked out numbers yet, because I told them I wanted to think about it over the weekend whether I'll settle for the black now or wait for a white w/ BLACK INTERIOR (for those confused). What is the usually bottom price that dealers take on a new one? Anyone know???

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Wait for what you really want. You will be glad you did...

Back