New to prime first post

Hi Guys, Im finally getting around to posting on this site for the first time. Im a long time NSX fan although I currently do not own one. My love for this car goes back to 1991 when my uncle took me for a ride in his new Ferrari ish sports car. At that time in my life my room was filled with Lamborghini countach posters, Ferrari testarossa posters etc... I had never heard of the Acura NSX until that day. That was my first and last ride in the NSX. For years I have lurked on the prime forum post....I was always concerned about purchasing a car as old as the NSX, It has been hard to get over the price in comparison to the age of that car. Every time I purchased a new car the NSX was in the back of my mind.... should have bought an NSX instead.... that thought has never left me. My love affair with this car is based on a ride in a car over 20yrs ago. My wife tells me I should wait for the new 2015 NSX and keep my current car (Lexus ISF) rather than purchase and "old" NSX. To me the NSX is timeless, It has aged well, its rare and its time to put one in my life. That said I will be actively looking to purchase an NSX now :biggrin: I know there is a lot of research that needs to be done on prime to know what year etc I should be focusing on. I know that I want a 95+ so I can get the T top, I also am leaning toward a 3.2 vs 3.0 but would a low mileage 3.0 with comptech S/C but a good option? I have read about the Timing belt maintenance, water pump etc but anything else I should look into (Ill do a prime search shortly). I know some people are looking at these as collector cars now and frown on mods but I have always been a mod guy, if a car is for sale with the right mods that will not scare me away as long as the work appears to be done properly. Im kind of a fan of the pop up headlights still... are there any significant reasons I should be looking for 02+? Id like to be in the $50k range but will go to $65k for the right car.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum! The biggest reason why someone would want an '02 is the 3.2L, 6 speed transmission, and updated exterior. Plus, they likely have a lot less miles.

I'd suggest test driving each iteration, so you can see which ones you like better.

Last edited:
Welcome. Hopefully you will find your dream car soon.

Get the frog eye headlight (02+) if that is what you want. If you like the popup headlight, the 2000-2001 model year pretty much is similar to the 02+ except for a few minor differences. Your budget will get you a very nice car. Also, coming from the more powerful ISF, consider buying an SC nsx or install an SC later. Good luck.

1997-2005 are 3.2L and 6-speeds so there are plenty to look at.

all automatic NSX's from 1991-2005 are 3.0L de-tuned to 240hp

Manual transmission NA1= 3.0L engine
Manual transmission NA2 = 3.2L engine
Automatic transmission NA1 =3.0L engine
NA2 doesnt mean fixed lights ( or bubble eyes ) like most newbee's think.

Thanks guys, I'mgoing to try and line up a couple cars to preview. There are a few dealershipsnot too far away that have an NSX on the lot. One has a 95 and the other has a02. It will be interesting to see if I can feel the difference between the two(Aside from the cosmetic differences). I would really like a 6speed trans so Imay be leaning toward a 02+. My ISF has I/H/E and on the 5.0 motor thoseimprovements add a significant amount of HP. Perhaps I'll keep the ISF and addthe NSX. I really want the low sleek look of the NSX but the ISF motor andtrans is fantastic.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I just missed theSoCal Castaic drive, would have been cool to come see a group of NSX in thewild. <o:p></o:p>

97 and up gives you the 6 speed.
97-2001 gives you pretty much all the goodies, in fact, but with pop-up headlights instead of the frog-eyes. 2000 or 2001 car also gives you perforated leather on the seats, steering wheel, and other interior leather trim bits.

I would strongly recommend buying from a prime member as you can find out much more, much more easily about the car in advance.

haha. Maybe Ill video the road for you in the ISF. Funny thing is that it was moved from its initial location. When they first built it for the commercial it was too close to residential homes so there were too many complaints. They ended up moving it to a somewhat obscure location. Top Gear folks drove it when they were filming nearby at Willow Springs.

I just purchased my 3rd NSX - '05 Silverstone with 34K. You will love either one you end up with. However, with experience make sure you get one that is clean with the lowest miles that fits the budget.

You might want to check out the NSX Wiki as well .. which can be accessed off the red action bar at the top of most pages. It has a section on things a prospective buyer might want to bone up on. Good luck.

Back