New to prime and looking to become an owner!

Hi, I am Joe. I live in Kentucky. I have been in love with the thought of owning an nsx for a decade. I have finally become able to afford one of these machines. I am a mechainic by trade so I am looking for a higher mileage car to keep the price down. I may be dreaming but i would like to get one of these with a straight body for 17k or so. I am interested in any kind of input that you all may have(where to look, what to look for, cost of ownership and so on)

Hi Joe and welcome. Sorry to start off like this, but I think if you're looking for a non-salvage NSX for $17K, you're winking in the dark. Is it possible? Yes, but I don't think you're going to get much for that amount of money. If you do find something for less than $20K you'll probably find it needs a lot of work, I understand you're a mechanic, but these things still need parts.

Probably don't want to hear this, but I would suggest you wait until you can up your budget. Look at "NSX for sale" thread to get some ideas. Good luck.

I know that you are right. I have been watching the ads and tracking the asking prices for early models for several years. It looks like a driver is about 25k and a low mileage car is about 35k. I will probably end up spending closer to 25k if i can find a turn key car with good records.

I know that you are right. I have been watching the ads and tracking the asking prices for early models for several years. It looks like a driver is about 25k and a low mileage car is about 35k. I will probably end up spending closer to 25k if i can find a turn key car with good records.

There definetly out there. I just saw a Black 91 with 76K go for 23,500. Looked like it was a real deal. Good luck!

Anything without a Salvage title will be tough to find for under $20k. At least in decent condition.

I haven't kept up with the current prices lately. But last year I know there appeared to be some decent cars go for the lower to mid $20k range. I'm thinking $22k to $25k.

That certainly isn't to say that if you are watching diligently, you won't find something. BUT if you find something nice at a good price, you will have to be FAST, because it won't last long. That being said, be careful for those deals that appear too good to be true and want some type of wired money, scammers.... they seem to really like to use the NSX as bait.

Being a mechanic will save you tons in labor costs :smile:, but as it was mentioned above, parts can still be costly $$$$. But there are places here on Prime that give decent discounts, but still they seem to be proud ($$$) of most NSX parts.

Some parts seem to be comparable with other cars, but others aren't. But being a mechanic, you may have other resources to receive discounts.

There have been some higher mileage cars go for less, since people tend to shy away from cars with more than 100k on them.

But on the other hand, these are Honda Engineered cars and they had their top people working on the NSX (only the best workers, had to apply and had to have a minimum of 10 years experience to work at the plant where they were built). They are very dependable from what I have heard and from my own personal experience.

The early cars tend to be tire hungry, especially the rear, but there are adjustments that can be made to make them less hard on tire wear.

If you are thinking that you are willing to go up to $25k, then I believe you have a great shot at being an owner soon.

If you hang around looking for a $17k to $18k car, that may take a while.

BUT it isn't all that impossible. I remember when I was looking (I looked for years, drooling mostly, then when I was ready, it still took time). That there was a Black 91 advertised at a dealership, for that matter, in Des Moines, IA (about 2hrs from where I live), for $19k. If I remember correctly, the mileage wasn't too bad either, maybe 60,000 miles or so.

I called as soon as I saw the ad... but it was gone... back to what I said above, if you see one for a good price you will have to be very fast.

But not so fast, that you don't check it out. Being a mechanic you can check most things over. You may still want to have somebody very familiar with the NSX do a PPI if you have one available.

Remember part of the fun is the hunt itself.

I'm confident you can find something you will love.... keep us posted and when you get one, post pictures :cool:

- Rod

Dtrigg is right on the money. If all you have is $17K you may not be ready to buy an NSX. Any car in that price range will likely suffer from a number of maladies that are going to cost more to take care of down the line than would cost you up front if you bought a well maintained car in the $25K price range.

Dtrigg is right on the money. If all you have is $17K you may not be ready to buy an NSX. Any car in that price range will likely suffer from a number of maladies that are going to cost more to take care of down the line than would cost you up front if you bought a well maintained car in the $25K price range.

Why are you being nice to me all of a sudden?:confused:

Not exactly a straight body, but I just saw this become available in my area which may fit your budget (including potential repairs):

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1938776674.html

Couple of comments...

1. How do you contact the seller?
2. Maintenance is questionable. Has timing belt/water pump been done or were oil leaks repaired. Missing a lot of maintenance work.
3. It has an automatic transmission if that matters
4. That damage looks nasty, or could be nasty.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Not exactly a straight body, but I just saw this become available in my area which may fit your budget (including potential repairs):

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1938776674.html

It is posted on PRIME:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140472

Also one on Craigslist, but its an auto
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1931848292.html

This is a 1991 Acura NSX in Excellent condition. It has 80% tire tread and custom wheels. Its is black on black with a automatic transmission and a high performance v6 engine. never wrecked, original paint and 1 of 78 made with this combination TRUE COLLECTOR!!!
Call John at 7043640237
PRICE IS FIRM
thanks
Email for photos

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

this one doesnt sound bad but it has a salvage title:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1937331364.html salvage

1991 Acura NSX
89,000 miles
$15,950
<!-- START CLTAGS -->

Last edited:
Last edited:
I got this since i havent found an NSX close to my price range. It will hold me over for a while!

Attachments

• mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 76
I just saw another thread here that mentioned a black/ivory with 148k miles that has had a lot of things added but needs some stuff too - guy was saying it needs a little cosmetic stuff - not totally perfect with a lot of little road rash on the nose I suppose. But he wanted 19500. Had an idle problem - fast idle. It also had S2000 seats - that's the kind of thing you'll find under 20k - that might suite you - it actually doesn't sound like that bad of a car from what I read. It's on Prime Market, I have no personal knowledge of the car.

Then there's also the guy that is doing a ppi on one he was the successful bidder on and it has 45k miles and went for the surprising low price of 23500 - from the pics it looked like a solid deal. You never know what you'll find so keep an eye on things for a while.

Back