New (to me) car question

What do you all think is one of the better vehicles (read Truck or SUV) to get on the used car market in the $10-20,000 range that will have a long lifespan (as in over 150,000 miles) and get very good gas mileage? I'm in sales and travel around 25,000 miles a year but at times I need the hauling capacity of a truck or suv and the ability to tow a trailer. I'm in the research stage right now and am preparing to retire my jetta as soon as it has a catastrophic failure (it's at 172,000 miles with very few issues).
I'm thinking maybe something from the Toyota line, but want some feedback from the Prime members hear that may have some experience. Let me know what you all would suggest.

Two words for ya: POWERSTROKE DIESEL! :)

Well, thats not really in the $10-$20k range unless you get a used 99-00 with high mileage (which is no biggie in a diesel...they run FOREVER). They also save alot of money in gas since diesel isn't nearly as expensive as unleaded.

I would say your best bet is either a Ranger or an S-10. You may be able to find something in the 1/2 ton range (150, 1500) but I doubt it for that price.

Brian2by2 said:
Two words for ya: POWERSTROKE DIESEL! :)

Well, thats not really in the $10-$20k range unless you get a used 99-00 with high mileage (which is no biggie in a diesel...they run FOREVER). They also save alot of money in gas since diesel isn't nearly as expensive as unleaded.

I would say your best bet is either a Ranger or an S-10. You may be able to find something in the 1/2 ton range (150, 1500) but I doubt it for that price.

He wants something that LASTS im sooo jk'ing :p

If you're considering something like the Ranger and S-10 why not the Tacoma :D

I was leaning towards one of the toyota's. There lineup is huge, but the Tacoma was looking like a good deal. The problem around my area was finding a good used one, people don't seem to sell them very quickly though.

If you want an SUV, I highly recommend a 4Runner. My wife has had hers for over 5 years now, and went from 28K miles to over 100K, with absolutely no problems so far.

I think you can get 2000+ for $20K, but I haven't really checked the market.

I say go with a brand new Tacoma because you intend to drive it many, many miles. The 4 cylinders have decent fuel economy ratings for their class of vehicle. I can't think of a truck/SUV that gets good gas mileage. What is your definition?

BTW, I had a V6 '94 Ranger. I could swear it was designed to leak lots of oil and probably wouldn't run right if it didn't.

W said:
I say go with a brand new Tacoma because you intend to drive it many, many miles. The 4 cylinders have decent fuel economy ratings for their class of vehicle. I can't think of a truck/SUV that gets good gas mileage. What is your definition?

BTW, I had a V6 '94 Ranger. I could swear it was designed to leak lots of oil and probably wouldn't run right if it didn't.

If you want a truck to tow, get an american truck :) hehe thats always been my input.

If you go American, just don't get a used Dodge. I have a 99 Durango that I have perfectly maintained and babied, but I have had all kinds of things break on it that should never have broken on a vehicle with less than 65k miles on it. They have all been due to poor engine design and cost cutting measures that Dodge has taken in the past few years. Every RAM truck and SUV from 1998 through 2002 with the 4.8, 5.2, and 5.9 liter engines are all having the same/similar failures. There are too many problems to list, so if you are curious, check out one of the dodge forums.

Its a real shame too, because I really like our Durango, but its disgusting how many things have failed in under 65k miles. All my friends that bought Chevrolet and GM trucks and SUVs at about the same time (99-00) haven't had any problems at all, in comparison. If I had to do it over again, I would get a Chevrolet or GMC. After this experience with this Durnago, and the poor service I have received from the dealerships, I'll never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product again...EVER...

I want something that gets over 25mpg average. I don't think I'll find it. However after speaking with John Vasos at AoB and talking more on the TL, he said I can pull our little enclosed trailer at work no problems with that car if I get a receiver on it. That one gets 20/30 city/highway. I dunno, I first have to run my jetta into the ground to get me to release fundage. :D

Back