New Seat inserts

I was wondering if any one has put the newer perforated seating area in an older seat, 99 and older I guess. I think I want to do this. If any one has ....how hard is it to do? I will call Neillo and see what they say.

Joseph, I know where this was done locally to change the interior color of 00 NSX .... perhaps they can use your own leather and perforated it but given that it has already been used (stretched, stressed, etc...... not in a bad way), perforating the existing leather may stress the leather further to the point of perhaps tearing it. The shop has to look at it anf give you a risk assessment.

Hrant

Aside from getting the perforated material, this is just a straight-forward upholstery shop job. Since I don't like the way leather feels (in hot weather my back perspires even with the A/C on-yecchh!!), I bought a pair of used OEM NSX seats and had an upholstery shop replace the center sections with a high-end black cloth. It was no big deal for them, just another re-upholster job.

You might try some of your local upholstery shops and see what they say. Maybe they can get the perforated material from one of their suppliers.

I bought a pair of used OEM NSX seats and had an upholstery shop replace the center sections with a high-end black cloth.

Any improvement over the oem leather? Do you feel cooler??

I have investigated the same process - not a big deal to an upholstery shop. Peforated leather is readily available & the shop should have no problem sourcing it in whatever color you choose - a body-matched center is a nice consideration!
You can probably save a few $$$ if you remove the center sections (bottom & back) yourself - unfortunately the on-line manual here at Prime does not include the pages on how to remove - you need a hard copy manual.
It is not a major chore, but the manual points out some of the things that might not be obvious otherwise. The seat base foam is actually glued onto the metal rail, so that needs to be sliced close to the metal with a sharp blade, to avoid destroying the foam.

Yes, I do feel cooler. I find the cloth to be more comfortable overall. I also find that it's harder to slide on the cloth, which makes getting in a little more difficult (although I stopped noticing that after a couple of days), but helps keep you from moving when cornering. I do think that they will probably wear faster than leather, but that's a trade off that works for me. It's also why I did it to a spare pair of seats and kept my originals untouched.

Hey Edd, just noticed you're right down the street in Castro Valley - I'm in Pleasanton. Try to make it out to one of our club meets, check the Northwest Region forum.

higher-tack materials

Edd said:
I find the cloth to be more comfortable overall. I also find that it's harder to slide on the cloth, which makes getting in a little more difficult (although I stopped noticing that after a couple of days), but helps keep you from moving when cornering.
The perfed nubuck seat surfaces in the Zanardi seats also give this effect, although they carry it over to the side bolsters as well. Has anyone re-done the centers in perforated nubuck ?

Microfiber

I have been doing (forced by wife actually) some furniture shoping lately, and one of the new trends in furniture fabrics that I have noticed is microfiber. I don't know how it's different from the clothing variety, but the stuff looks and feels like a variety of suede leather. One of the claims made is that it wears like iron.

Has anyone heard of this being used in covering a car seat? Opinions?

I used Supreme Upholstery (or it might be Supreme Interiors) in Oakland to do my seats. They did a good job, I am very satisfied. It was somewhere around $450 per seat. They are located on the frontage road on the east side of 880 inbetween the 23rd and 29th st exits. I don't think they have a yellow pages ad. They're hard to miss, though, they have a big stuffed gorilla out in front of their building!!!

D'Ecosse, I've been trying to get to one of the meetings lately but I've always ended up busy on those Saturdays. I'll make it to one of them soon.

Thanks for all the help and info, just for kicks I called up Niello and got a price for the inserts......$1100.00 per seat:eek:
I think I will be going to an local shop to have this done.

Back