New ride added to the stable

So my daily driver Eclipse lasted exactly 4 months. I was even weeks away from dropping in a new motor. A couple weeks ago, it caused problems for the third time in only a few months and I decided to let it go instead. I needed a fun, sporty car with a back seat for my son as a daily driver.

Here are some pics of my new daily driver. I picked it up just a week ago and finally had a chance to take some pics. I came across this beauty purely by chance and couldn't pass up the opportunity. This is a Special Edition Celica GT-S used at the 2000 Long Beach Grand Prix event. It's 1 of 40 cars built by TRD specifically for the event and includes a commemorative plate on the dash. For this event, TRD modified the car with:
A. Full TRD suspension kit. Shocks, springs, struts, sways.
B. 17in wheels and Pirelli tires.
C. TRD body kit
D. TRD exhaust
E. Some other odds and ends I haven't figured out yet. So far I have noticed the commemorative plate, their shift knob, and an unusually strong clutch.

From the pics below, you should be able to see the Toyota Long Beach Grand Prix decals for the event on the doors. They are body color, but appear dark grey in the photos for some strange reason. The car had only 16K on the odo and showroom is not the word. It's obvious the previous owner loved the car. The dealer just thought it was a standard TRD action package car and didn't know what they sold me (at below a standard GTS price). I stole it last week and am still running for the hills! :) haha. Anyway... we'll let the pics do the talking. Hopefully they post.

specialedition1.jpg

This is to keep me occupied until I can pick up another NSX in the hopefully near future.

1 week impressions?

#1 trait- handling
I don't know if it's the car itself or the TRD suspension. However, at 2500lbs and sprung this stiffly, this car has been handling the twisties like a champ. I've already taken it up to Malibu in the canyons. Virtually no roll and transitions are fabulous. More fun than the NSX? No sir! More fun than any other car I've owned? You bet... by far.... and that's saying a lot.

Other notables:
The 6speed shifter is a joy. Short throws, stiff with no play, shortest pedal travel I've seen yet.
Very fun motor. 7800RPM redline, kicks in hard at 6K with extra 40 ponies, good torque curve down low. vvtl-i seems very similar to vtec.
great brakes
BUILD QUALITY!

And it has a back seat..... :cool:

I'll enjoy a fun, reliable car as my daily until I can pick up another NSX as a second car.

Last edited:
Beautiful car!! I would love to ride in your car :)

Excellent!

Ilya,
Nice find. I don't think I caught how much you found it for. Did you mention? Do you plan on bringing it as a chase car for the Prime Drive? I'd like to see it.

-Randy

P.S. BTW, the pictures don't seem to be working.

Copy and paste these URLs. That should get you to the pics. Let me know if you still can't get to them as I'll try to find another way of hosting them. damn geocities.

http://www.geocities.com/nsxmodified/specialedition1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/nsxmodified/specialedition2.jpg

Yes, I plan to use this as the recon/camera car on the drive.

Dealer wanted 16,999 and I picked it up for 16K (15,999). The 2K models seem to go for around 18K, closer to 20K for low mileage like this one. This one only had 16K miles and included all the TRD special edition stuff and parts. I've been checking the Celica boards and there were tons of dealer scams that sold Celicas as various editions. This appears to be the only true 'special edition' available created for that year's LBGP... all of 40 cars. I still think I got away with murder on this one. Seems like I could turn around and sell for over 20K on ebay, but I would rather keep and enjoy it for a while.

Last edited:
Here, ilya. Too bad you can't attach them directly to your post as it is larger than the 800x600 requirement.

specialedition1.jpg

specialedition2.jpg

Thats a good looking car ilya... Congrats!

Now you need to slap on the turbo :)

Back