New report on the NSX!

From edmunds.com:

What Edmunds.com Says: It's been a long time coming, but we're expecting this NSX to be well worth the wait when it finally hits the market.

What We Know: Earlier this year, Acura finally fessed up and admitted it's working on an all-new NSX. Other than confirming it will have V10 power, Acura announced few additional details. Turns out there are two prototypes under consideration, one a midengine vehicle like the current car, and the other a front-engine setup. According to our contact in Japan, the front-engine layout is looking like the front-runner at this point. Although it will run most of the power to the rear wheels, a version of the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive currently used in the Acura RL will be used to send some of the power to the front wheels when needed.

Small drawing shown here:

http://edmunds.nytimes.com/future/2009/acura/nsx/100707399/preview.html

Now that's the most credible thing we've seen so far, IMHO. Note that the sketches are credited to American Honda Motor Co. and all the styling cues are solidly Honda/Acura. I'm still rooting for the mid-engine version though.

If it resembles any of the concept sketches I've been seeing, I'm done with honda. However I highly doubt theres much reason to worry.

The honda HSC was heading in the right direction, I hope it continues down that path as that had very obvious design choices inspired from the NSX. Not going with a midengine would be one more point away from being an exotic imho.

Honestly though, I think this whole thing about the NSX replacement not being a midengine is all bull. They have specifically said that they're working on a successor to the NSX, not just some new car. They must realize that such a radical departure from what made the car so unique could be damaging to their image.

I believe honda needs to build on the heritage of the NSX, not re-establish it all over again.

I saw an article in August Automobile mag saying Honda still doesn't know when the new model will be released and it looks like it is almost certain it will be a front engine layout so it is more user friendly.

Mike

neurobound said:
They have specifically said that they're working on a successor to the NSX, not just some new car.

Actually, every quote (that I've read anyway) directly from Honda has been ambigious about that. They'll say that there is a successor or replacement to the NSX but not that there will be a 2nd generation car carrying the same name. Specifically, Takeo Fukui on July 20, 2005:

Takeo Fukui said:
We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor.

I dunno, maybe something is lost in the translation, but it sounds conveniently ambigious. It's never "there will be a new NSX," it's always there will be "a new model to succeed the NSX" or talk of an "NSX successor."

Introduction of SH-AWD is fine but getting rid of the MR config and "NSX" name would kill any ideas I'd have for ownership.

Honda did a lot of research into the NS-X to find out the ideal layout to make the worlds first Japanese supercar which eclipsed both Ferrari and Porsche... They succeeded... The NSX

If Honda are considering a front engine means it is a departure away from the ideal layout for a true sports car and therefore could not be considered an NSX replacement...

I'm not going to loose any sleep over that which is not released or even decided yet... And anyway, it's going to have to be one hell of a car to beat the twin turbo NSX I already own!.... If Honda don't deliver it then I find no reason to buy their new offering...

AU_NSX said:
Blah blah blah...And anyway, it's going to have to be one hell of a car to beat the twin turbo NSX I already own!...blah blah blah

Show off. ;)

If those sketches supposely came from Honda, why are they only posted on Edmunds's site? The exterior sketch came from Edmunds around a year ago, whereas the interior is a new sketch

Whether or not these are real images from Honda, the design is uninspiring. The exterior proportions are off and the M6 already fullfills the design intent.

Where is our mid-engine NSX successor?? Enough indecisions already! Make a mid-engine car with which ever engine you want and show us something so we can look forward to it before our hearts wonder off to another manufacturer. Don't make us wait until the 2007 Tokyo Auto show.

That must be the new amphicar!! It's not too horrible and would make a nice new CL. Now that Acura is exclusively a four door car company, they could use a couple of new coupes in their lineup. Time to end the BS and get with the program. Build the front engined car to compete with BMW 6, Aston Martin, or whomever.
Ferrari has plenty of front engined cars in their lineup. The 599 GTB and 612 Scaglietti are the newest Ferraris and certainly aren't any slouches. Hell, the 599 has an Enzo powerplant and beat the F-40 time at Ferrari's test track. Also, it's the fastest true production model (top speed more than 205) Ferrari has ever made!!! I am ALL for a midengine NSX replacement. Absolutely. My only point is that front engined cars CAN be built to world class performance specs. If Honda builds a front engined car like this, I'd consider it. If it's like an overweight Buick. Hello Lexus,GT-R,Aston Martin etc. I wish they'd build both, but I hope the mid engine wins out if they can only do one!!

Honestly I stake a lot on the name. A front engine car would be great, just not a super car and not a NSX. Throw in the liklihood of SH-AWD and you have a super performing daily driver with reliability to beat a 559. And it has merrits of a good business objective, unlike a mid engine 2 seater exotic.

But with all those points being made, the car pictured above would make a NSX stable mate, not replacement!

Back