New Rear Spoiler and the NSX Picnic Site, Sunday - September 26th

Finally finished building the new radical rear spoiler and what better place to get some shots than the site for our NSX Picnic at the Brisbane Marina on Sunday, September 26th (announcement to be posted shortly).

Hope you like the site and the spoiler.

Jack

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_4995.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4997.jpg

IMG_5001.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

Sorry, but I think that spoiler and the white paint on the front lip make the car looked all jacked up. But hey, your car, do what ever makes you happy.

Sorry, but I think that spoiler and the white paint on the front lip make the car looked all jacked up. But hey, your car, do what ever makes you happy.

It's silver, I'm happy and it's controversial.

Which makes me happier! :smile:

What about the site?

Jack

hmmm I bet if it rained that spoiler would collect a good amount of water.

hmmm I bet if it rained that spoiler would collect a good amount of water.

Actually it collects a fair amount of high pressure air. The water just runs out the bottom. I'll bet this spoiler out performs any NSX wing out there! You would need a huge wing to get the same downforce creating equal or even more drag. Check out the $1.5 million dollar Ferrarri 599XX or any 2010 NASCAR for that matter. They seem to know alot about aerodynamics and water drainage. :biggrin: Plus the spoiler retains the stock third brake light, one of the best looking features of the car. It has a built in rear mounted fog light for bad weather and poor visability.
It's also probably the strongest and lightest aero devise on an NSX tailgate and can be pushed down with great force in the center to slam shut the trunk lid. No wing that I've seen can do all that!

If it was sealed at the bottom, yes it would become a pool! :smile:

Some people may love it or hate it, or the way it's painted because it is radically different and that's to be expected and it's OK, but it's no joke and a very functional piece!

Jack
IMG_4953.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4957.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

Last edited:
gurney flap it is.

that thing is wicked cool dude....

the best part I have seen an individual make yet...

Congrats man

Regards

Jack's parts are definitely unique, and that sometimes attracts negative commentary. But I give huge props to him for not being the lemming that many of us are (yes, I include myself). Admittedly, it's hard not to be one when the aftermarket is limited the way it is for our cars.

Which brings me to the point of this post: Jack has the ability to MAKE HIS OWN PARTS. Whether you like the finished product or not, when you see the part in person and consider only the fit, finish, quality and durability there's no denying his skill. Even the paint is immaculate. Remember, this is all done in his backyard. I've seen his "fabrication shop" and "paint booth" and am impressed with what he turns out.

100% guaranteed, you'll never see another NSX like Jack's and if you do, it'll be an obvious copy of his original part(s). I admire Jack for his uniqueness.

J

Personally, I liked the previous wing that I saw on your car at ALMS. This wing looks like it might create a good deal of drag. This one looks like it would negatively impact the delicate balance that Honda engineers designed into the rear wing. See page 14 of the NSX Technical and Developmental History (the black book).

From the article: To improve downforce at the rear, the design of the integral spoiler enhances high-speed stability, reduces yaw moment and turbulence, and helps achieve neutral lift.

Last edited:
Jack, so this is your new creation ~ wow! :wink:

I'm always impressed by people who do things differently and craft it themselves. It's much easier to sit around and buy parts everyone else has rather than use your brain and build something yourself.

I can't wait to see this in person but I have to admit you make me want to ditch my NSX-R spoiler and bring back my old OEM spoiler for this look.

When can I drop by to see this in person? I think on a white car with some black highlights this would look even more crazy! hehe

rick

Unfortunately, I don't have the gift of articulating with words like James is able to do, fortunately James is my friend and I can say "never truer words spoken, in this case written".

What's even better is, I live 10 minutes from Jack, so I get to see all his projects in the works in person.

Mike

Jack's parts are definitely unique, and that sometimes attracts negative commentary. But I give huge props to him for not being the lemming that many of us are (yes, I include myself). Admittedly, it's hard not to be one when the aftermarket is limited the way it is for our cars.

Which brings me to the point of this post: Jack has the ability to MAKE HIS OWN PARTS. Whether you like the finished product or not, when you see the part in person and consider only the fit, finish, quality and durability there's no denying his skill. Even the paint is immaculate. Remember, this is all done in his backyard. I've seen his "fabrication shop" and "paint booth" and am impressed with what he turns out.

100% guaranteed, you'll never see another NSX like Jack's and if you do, it'll be an obvious copy of his original part(s). I admire Jack for his uniqueness.

J

Personally, I liked the previous wing that I saw on your car at ALMS. This wing looks like it might create a good deal of drag. This one looks like it would negatively impact the delicate balance that Honda engineers designed into the rear wing. See page 14 of the NSX Technical and Developmental History (the black book).

From the article: To improve downforce at the rear, the design of the integral spoiler enhances high-speed stability, reduces yaw moment and turbulence, and helps achieve neutral lift.

Ken check out the May issue of Car And Driver. Page 54 on Ferrarri 599XX Aerodynamics Explained and the claim of more downforce without any penalty in drag from the huge scalloped trunklid ducktail spoiler.

Probably the most outrageous spoiler isn't even a spoiler. It's the tailgate mounted on every pick-up truck. It has been proven even though it may defy logic, that the drag is actually less with the tailgate up rather than down. The reason, a high pressure air bubble directly in front of the very unaerodynamic looking raised tailgate. The bubble causes a smooth flow of air to ride over the top exiting the rear of the truck. With the more aerodynamic looking lowered tailgate, there is no high air pressure area (Bubble) to create the smooth air flow, only rolling balls of turbulance which causes drag, and in the trucks case, lower fuel mileage. Wings do not create smooth air flow over the body and actually cause more drag and that is why super cars with them won't go as fast as those without them.

NASCAR has gone back to a huge 4"x64.5" aluminum blade that's pitched to an almost tailgate like angle of 70-degees. They claim the cars are much more stable at higher speeds and especially in turbulant (or dirty) air.

Most race cars now have some sort of spoiler in addition to a wing and even the wings themselves have a spoiler built into the trailing edge. It's all about pushing down and smooth air flow. There is also a rush to mount some sort of spoiler(s) on the fronts and sides and drag dosen't seem to slow them down.

With all that said, and your thoughts about the "Honda Engineers" and "the delicate balance" it must also hold true for any modification that changes the original design and which will, in effect, also change the running dynamics in a negative way. That means mods to the suspension, larger tires and wheels, massive gains in horsepower, airfoils and ground effects, all effecting in a negative way.

I respectfully couldn't disagree more. Sorry!:smile:

So in retrospect, I don't think there is a guy out there, who is going to take off all of his mods no matter the type of car to abide by the manufacturers recommendations. I'll definitely keep building controversial designs because I love surprising you guys with things from an eccentric mind!

Thanks for the input guys! :smile::biggrin::wink::eek::rolleyes::tongue:

Jack

Stunning!

Bet it works great.

Can't wait to see it in person.

One other car has a similar rear deck integrated spoiler/gurney flap

Man, I. completely forgot about that car. I even took closeup, detailed pics of it because it looked so interesting.

Looks like Jack is in good company...

J

J

+1..... JACK is a KING of top notch homemade automotive customization creations.

BTW, site is great. I've never been to the brisbane marina, only Oyster Point where I hook into some monster rays and good sized sharks.

Last edited:
Man, I. completely forgot about that car. I even took closeup, detailed pics of it because it looked so interesting.

Looks like Jack is in good company...

J

as an aside if you consider mugen as a functional aero manufacturer ,thier s2000 rear decklid looks very similar to this "backyard" special:wink:

Jack, granted aerodynamics have evolved a bit since the late 80's, but I think the engineers used a wind tunnel and, IIRC, the phrase "delicate balance" are from one of the NSX books (silver or black).

I absolutely agree about mods to the car, that's why I try to keep mine at or near OEM; 16/17 wheels, NSX-style wing, NSX-R suspension, etc.

And I'm familiar with the truck tailgate scenario. Having heard the stories and having had trucks all my life I know this to be true :smile:

Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of your new wing and the way you integrated the light into it looks fantastic. Your work is better than any home modification I've ever seen. Keep it up.

Back