New prospective owner

Hello, I was looking at buying an nsx in the near future, but due to being outdone by others for job placement, that is no longer in my future. :mad: But anyway, I told myself even if I didn't buy one, I just want to learn more about the platform. I think this thing is an amazing machine.

Of course I could go on and on about ITB's and throttle response and suspension, but I would have been coming from a 300hp 240sx. I want to know, what do NSX owners feel about the two competing together on the track? Obviously the 240 can be just as good and what not, but what would you think?

Welcome!
When comparing the 240sx to the nsx via the track, what are you referring to exactly? Drifting? Drag? Autocross? Road courses? etc.

Tomorrow's another day! Think of it like this : maybe the job wasnt the right one for you now, could be a better opportunity out there for ya!

I think questions like this are almost impossible to answer b/c people usually want to stick with absolute #s and I dont think they tell the full tale.

240sx or s2k or what have you folks will say it is no problem to "match" the NSX... NSX folks will say it is no problem to "match" a Challenge Stradale... In reality, there is a highly subjective driving experience factor that goes well beyond #s.

For me, based on my experience driving and having rides on and off the track/autocross/etc, I find that going slow in a Ferrari CS or one of the super Ferraris is a LOT more fun than going really really fast in almost any other car :D The NSX is similar, IMO, but not *nearly* as visceral. I think a lot of the Porsches are similar to the NSX in this sense and some are more similar to a Ferrari (particularly the CGT which is insane or the GT2 which is also insane)

A cheap, highly modded, car that can put down great #s is another experience entirely. For some folks, it is the ultimate thrill because of the sense of accomplishment. For others, not so much because it is very hard to *truly* take a low end car and using the aftermarket mod it to the *real* level of a $100K+ car engineered specifically for a race track by professional engineers. It all depends on where the individual finds their particular thrill.

Last edited:
No, that job was perfect actually. :tongue:

Well I'm considering the road course. Nothing else appeals to me. And yes I realize the vagueness of that question, but of course in time attacks you always see "silvia's" putting out comparable times to the nsx. But of course these are all modded. So I'm more concerned about driving feel, of course the nsx is more prestigious, but does it merit a 15-20-50,000 dollar difference?

No, that job was perfect actually. :tongue:

Well I'm considering the road course. Nothing else appeals to me. And yes I realize the vagueness of that question, but of course in time attacks you always see "silvia's" putting out comparable times to the nsx. But of course these are all modded. So I'm more concerned about driving feel, of course the nsx is more prestigious, but does it merit a 15-20-50,000 dollar difference?

are you a professional driver or semipro?
are you planning on doing time attacks on your way to work from home every morning?
In todays world does the NSX merit a 15-20-50,000 dollar difference? Probably not but i didnt care...i didnt buy this car so i can have prepubescent argument of whose car is better than whose for the money...i bought it because i love the car for what it is and i couldnt care less what anyone else said. It puts a smile on my face every morning when i open the garage door and yessssssss that to me is worth the 15-2--50,000 dollar difference.

PS. ultimately the only way you will know if an NSX is right for you is if you drive one.

If only there were more of them in the world. Only ever seen one in person and that was on the other side of the road on a highway.

In my opinion as soon as you spend more then 20K for a car, performance almost doesn't matter. You are buying it to make yourself happy. There will always be cars that outperform other cars for cheaper, and the internet is full of these inane comparisons ad nauseam. If I see one more thread boasting about the paper times of the new Mustang or 2012 GTR I might just shut off my internet for good.

The thing is, if you want to be competitive in races, there are already well established paths. Miatas(and to some extent S2000) dominate autocross, Corvettes/Porsches dominate road courses, and Evo/STIs dominate rally. If you want to dominate at these events don't buy an NSX.

If on the other hand you want a car that makes you happy and are willing to spend 20,30,50 thousand dollars, my advice is not to care about the numbers, and go with your passion and your gut. The NSX ticks the right boxes for a lot of people, even 20 years after it was introduced, and for a good reason.

My 2 cents...

Back