new owner

howdy i am a new owner of a 92 nsx. i would like to give the venders here some business. i need to replace the timing belt and water pump and hear tales of some venders on here giving a pretty good discount.. who should i use? (oh i love the car) thanks!!!!

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to Prime, but without more information from you it's difficult to give you advice about service. If you are located in the SF Bay Area you might want to visit Don at Hilltop Auto in Daly City, or possibly Jim Russell in Belmont. But you'd need to be a little more forthcoming about who you are and where you live.

I suggest you try posting in your regional forum (located at the bottom of these forums), in an effort to locate an NSX specialty shop. If none exist, you will need to determine which dealership in your area has the most NSX experience.

As far as best pricing on parts, I purchased my timing belt from Acura of Peoria on eBay; the cost was $125 for the new OEM belt. I also called and made arrangements to purchase the other required items (waterpump, timing cover, etc.) from their parts department, so they were included in the same box, and I saved on tax/shipping.

There is an Acura parts department in the vendor section on this forum, another good resource is http://www.acuraoemparts.com, with an online replacement parts catalog.

Welcome! You made a smart choice with the NSX, one of the finest sports cars ever made. :D acuraoemparts.com has always been good to me as well as Tim Poliniak (username hondacuraplanet). Both have great service and discounts.

Also, you should join NSXCA: http://www.nsxca.org/nsxca/index.html

Congrats and welcome. Any pics?

You are not far from Richmond Virginia - I believe there is a really great NSX mechanic there. Give a personal message to my buddy John Komar - his Prime name is 99NCNSX - he can tell you about him. When you can find a good independant "wrench" you are much better off even if you have to drive a bit. I know - I've done some of that driving. Especially if you are going to have several things done of a technical nature like the timing belt/water pump/hoses/clutch/master and slave cylinders/etc - in other words get it ready for the long haul of ownership.

Always good to start off on the right foot with an old one - of course this advice is based on just general issues as I have no idea of the maintenance history of your car. Food for thought. Acura dealers are not always knowledgeable about the NSX nor are they inclined to do things the inexpensive way or repair things instead of just replacing things. Like the ABS system for example. Lots to know here about you and your car.

It might help if you told us a little bit more about what you think it needs and some history of the car!

Good luck, great cars - enjoy,

Back