New Owner "update procedure"

So we have finally decided on a car. Should be in the garage by this weekend. 93' Sebring Silver. When it does get here what else should I do besides a complete wash, wax and detail, oil change and fluid check.
My husband thinks we should change the spark plugs and have the AC recharged since its not blowing ice cold.
Anything else I should do as a new owner to keep my baby running strong?

the spark plugs and have the AC recharged since its not blowing ice cold.

Take the car and have it inspected. If the evaporator is shot that is a $3k hopefully just a recharge, second does it runability issues, why the concern with the spark plugs?

So we have finally decided on a car. Should be in the garage by this weekend. 93' Sebring Silver. When it does get here what else should I do besides a complete wash, wax and detail, oil change and fluid check.
My husband thinks we should change the spark plugs and have the AC recharged since its not blowing ice cold.

change manual tranny fluid, brake & clutch fluid flush, flush abs, oil change, plugs depends on milage ( you can change them out if you want, nothing wrong with new plugs ), air filter and give the car a good once over. check to see if there are any ripped CV boots, oil leaks.

if you have any record for the stuff above, i would still check.

also TB if its time, if its not, keep chugging along.

Warm regards and congrats.

Rob:smile:

Hasn't the car been serviced at its pre-scheduled intervals? Do you have the service history? The only thing that really needs to be done preventively is the regularly scheduled maintenance.

Oil change is only necessary if it has been 3K miles or more. If the car has the OEM NGK spark plugs (which it should) those would only need to be changed every 60K-90K mile service interval at least. If the plugs are not NGK then I'd replace them with NGK ASAP.

If you have no record of the coolant, tranny fluid or clutch fluid being replaced within the last 60K miles than I would replace those fluids. I would replace the brake fluid if it's light brown or darker. The air filter is easy to inspect for cleanliness. The OEM paper filter with the stock airbox is hard to beat for performance/efficiency.

Of course it goes without saying that the car should be inspected for CV boot leaks, oil leaks, etc. If any are found it should be corrected immediately.

Is this the one that was on ebay from Davie, Florida? If so, PM me I know the car.

Take the car and have it inspected. If the evaporator is shot that is a $3k hopefully just a recharge, second does it runability issues, why the concern with the spark plugs?
Just food for thought. If the AC is low it has a leak and will eventually leak down again. How soon depends on the size of the leak. If it's still R12 system then by all means try to keep it "R12". Though R12 freon is hard to get and is now $50.00 a can, it can still be gotten. I have retrofitted R12 systems to 134A systems and it's never as good. I live in Texas so I know what hot is.

no its not from ebay. We dont know if the system has a leak or not its just not as cold as what I am accustomed to. They would replace the sparks when they do a timing belt change right?

Just food for thought. If the AC is low it has a leak and will eventually leak down again. How soon depends on the size of the leak. If it's still R12 system then by all means try to keep it "R12". Though R12 freon is hard to get and is now $50.00 a can, it can still be gotten. I have retrofitted R12 systems to 134A systems and it's never as good. I live in Texas so I know what hot is.

yep, 134 just aint as cool.

also i would be worred about the a/c leak. Done many of these and due to our lines being very long, its hard to find the leaks.

The a/c compressor job is a pain and not cheap. Hopefully its nothing extreme.

wasnt the AC updated for 93'?

I'm not sure what year the change over year was, I just know the original R12 systems don't work to well with retrofitting. BTW got any pics. yet?:smile:

We dont know if the system has a leak or not its just not as cold as what I am accustomed to. They would replace the sparks when they do a timing belt change right?

Stick a thermometer in the vent to see what is the air temperature coming out from the vent. I think it should be in the low 40's (someone can correct me if I wrong). The NSX does generate more heat in the cabin than you are accustom to because the engine is right behind the seats. So it may be the extra heat from the engine. Definitely do the thermometer test first. Spark plugs will not be replaced with changing the timing belt and water pump (don't forget the harmonic balancer pulley), unless you request the spark plugs be replaced.

I had My 92 switched over and it gives me frostbite on my eyebrows on high.:confused: :biggrin:

I had My 92 switched over and it gives me frostbite on my eyebrows on high.:confused: :biggrin:
Trust me they don't all do that. Besides, 134a operates at a higher head pressure thus harder on orings, compressor seals, ect. I'm not saying it does'nt work, R12 is just more efficient.:biggrin:

Back