New Owner Questions

Hello All,
I'm a new NSX owner as of today. I purchased a 1991 Berlina Black/ivory car with 47k miles on it. The prior owner installed a Cantrell intake, new exhaust, and 17/18" Work wheels (polished lip, dark grey insides). He also installed a Kenwood receiver with new speakers and a subwoofer in the floor. I'm the third owner. I've owned lots of other cars (Porsche Boxster, 911 Turbo, Integra Type-R, etc), but this is my first NSX.

This is a great site, and I've done quite a bit of research. Looking for some opinions, and sorry for so many questions!

1) The car needs shocks. It seems that Dali has a good deal on Bilsteins with their own Springs and Sways. I will drive this car a lot, highway and agressive city, would this be a good idea or would I end up with bruised kidneys in OH?

2) The passenger side carpets are fairly well ruined from a coffee spill. Nothing will seem to clean them. Can they be replaced? If so, where can I get them?

3) I need rear tires (shocker). The current size on there is a 255/35/18. Seems that conventional wisdom around here is a 265/35/18. Is that the right size tire in a plus 2 arrangement?

4) I also need new floormats and a shift knob. Any recommendations?

I've got lots more questions, but those are the ones that I think are the most pressing at the moment!

Regards,
Scott

Cincinnati Scott said:
1) The car needs shocks. It seems that Dali has a good deal on Bilsteins with their own Springs and Sways. I will drive this car a lot, highway and agressive city, would this be a good idea or would I end up with bruised kidneys in OH?
Bilsteins are very much like the stock shocks (when the stockers are new), with a very comfortable ride quality in routine street driving, but tighten up nicely when doing a lot of cornering and such. So your kidneys will love the Bilsteins. Springs and sways may be a different story.

Cincinnati Scott said:
2) The passenger side carpets are fairly well ruined from a coffee spill. Nothing will seem to clean them. Can they be replaced? If so, where can I get them?
At any Acura dealer - either your own, or mail order dealers like Delray Acura. See diagram of carpet pieces below.

Cincinnati Scott said:
3) I need rear tires (shocker). The current size on there is a 255/35/18. Seems that conventional wisdom around here is a 265/35/18. Is that the right size tire in a plus 2 arrangement?
Either size will work, along with the commonly used 215/40-17 front size. The 265 is slightly better for the TCS tolerances on the '91-93; the 255 is slightly better on the '94-05.

Cincinnati Scott said:
4) I also need new floormats and a shift knob. Any recommendations?
Get floor mats from NSXprime username Hrant; do a search on topics he started for more information. Shift knobs are really a matter of personal preference (unless you like the stock one, in which case you can get that from the dealer).

Congratulations on the car! Don't forget to join the NSX Club of America... ;)

13sl00_b36.gif

My suggestion on shocks would be either bilsteins or koni's (if you want the adjustability). I've got koni's and while at first I thought they were rough, after driving a friends with bilsteins I couldn't tell much difference and will most likely just keep doing koni's if I ever need to replace them.

As for your coffee stain issue, see if you can find a distributor for this line of professional's carpet cleaning products.

http://www.proschoice.com/Stain_Guide/A_THRU_G/Coffee/coffee.html

i sell this line up here in Grand Rapids, and every product I recommend to my customers ends up working very well. One product that they don't say in the link above is Soil Release. I did have one customer who did not have luck with the above method on some very stubborn stains and pre-sprayed with soil release and extracted and it took them out.

Suspension advice sought

My new to me 1991 NSX is in dire need of shocks/struts/dampers/bouncy thingees. I'm looking for suggestions. I've been researching and I figured out that my needs are:

1) Retain streetability...I'm gonna pile some miles on this car in my commute
2) slightly lowered stance
3) Wife friendly.
4) Retain kidney function on Ohio's roads

So, the way I see it, I have a few options. Most everyone says to look at the Bilsteins, which is cool, but should I also consider:

NSX-S Suspension?
Dali Racing Progressive Rates + Sways

Any other suggestions?

I've heard that the Koni shocks on their softest setting are still firmer than the Bilsteins, which are not adjustable.

comquat1 said:
will most likely just keep doing koni's if I ever need to replace them.
Most high-end shocks, including Bilsteins and probably Konis, come with a lifetime warranty, so if you ever need to replace them, you should be able to do so for free...

Back