New Owner Question Re: Original Parts

Hi there,

My brother and I recently inherited our dad's 1991 NSX, which he'd owned since new. Over the years, he did some mild tuning (intake, headers, exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires), and kept all of the original parts in case he ever wanted to convert to stock. Now that we're in the process of cleaning out his house and garage and trying to figure out what to keep and what to sell, we're wondering whether it's worth it to keep the parts or not. We plan on keeping the car for the next few years at least, and obviously if we sell it in the future there's some value in having the parts available to return to stock or allow the new owner to do so. On the other hand, neither my brother nor I really have space for the parts, and even if we can find some, we'd have to transport the parts from the Detroit area to either Chicago or Austin.

Any advice on whether it's worth it to keep the parts, or should we just sell them? In addition to the cost of moving and storage, we have to factor the cost of labor to return to stock when weighing the benefits of holding on to the originals.

Appreciate the help in advance!

In my opinion.... Depends on the car itself. is it a pristine 1991 with very low mileage? is it a "driver" with 50-70k or is it a high mileage 100k plus car?

i personally don't believe the stock parts are worth much to many, unless it is a low mileage car, also is it just an airbox (intake) or the entire intake manifold? things like this are important to know what has been done. Original tires are probably junk (just age alone) but rims may be worth a couple bucks if they are desired by someone.

condition of parts removed and what mileage on them when removed. were they due for a change anyway? all relative things

Good questions, and ones I probably should've thought of before pressing "post."

The car has ~60k miles, but has been well maintained since day one. Based on what we've seen--the car is in another state and I haven't dug through all records yet--it's just the airbox not the entire intake manifold that were replaced. Tires are definitely toast, but the rims are in good shape. As best as I can recall, the mods were all done with roughly 20k miles on it. Original parts are in ok shape. They've been kept in storage for 20ish years now, but based on what I've seen (not a terribly detailed look through), don't appear to need much more than a clean-up. No signs of real damage or excessive wear, although the original shocks are presumably not worth putting back on.

91 exhaust parts and wheels are worth next to nothing... Too many 91’s out there. If it were a later model, definitely worth cash.

Hello

If you plan on selling the car, I suggest keep anything that is related to smog/emissions. In other states, it is not a major issue, but is a concern for those in CA since the car will have to go through a smog and visual inspection before new license plates are issued. Basically, it is an added bonus for someone in CA who might be interested in buying. It will potentially give you a wider audience to all 50 states.

Hopefully you will not sell it and keep it in your family for generations to come. :)

Hi - Hope someone in your family keeps the car. You might not have the chance again to have something that is so fun to drive.
I have a 94 car that I have been doing some updates. I have decided to keep my existing parts.
My car is not low mileage or anything special except it is a 94 and there were a lot less of them produced.
I have even bought a few parts that my car didn't have when I bought it (stock air box and a couple other things) just so ... if .., I sold it
the new buyer would have the chance to take the car where they wanted (continue modding or go back to stock).
As other said - common parts are low cost or readily available I contradict them and just keep them piling up on the shelf.
Sorry for the loss of your dad - having an NSX since new says something about him.
Best wishes - Al

Sorry for the loss of your dad. I would without question, keep the parts. I have a few old Corvettes and can tell you that original parts for them are hard to come by. When I had my first Corvette, we replaced parts with aftermarket parts and did not think twice about it. A decent set of knockoff wheels for a midyear Corvette cost about $12 K. I wish I kept my old starters, carbs, wheels, shocks. The NSX is fast becoming a collector car. The premium prices we are seeing are for original factory cars. Once they are gone, they are gone. Jerry

I always keep the original parts, just in case I ever wanted to go back to stock in the future.....but yeah, they do take up space!

I'd say keep the original parts. As others have said, they are getting harder and harder to come by. Also, if the day comes that you would ever sell your car, it is (in general) much more desirable as a stock car vs modded. You can pull the aftermarket parts off of the car and sell them for more money than you'd get for them on the car. That's what I've done for my 2002, which is pristine and back to stock now.

As others have mentioned. I would keep the original parts, making it more desirable when the time comes to sell. If you do not not have the room to store the extra parts, put the originals back on the car, an sell the modifications.

My advice, keep the car forever. Rarely do you find a one owner/family owned car of this sort. Pass it down when the right time comes. Screw the parts, keep the car.:wink:

If you indeed bring the car (and presumably the parts) to Chicago, look me up. I will ensure you meet the whole gang here. There are a ton of very good NSX owners and might help you with your decision(s).

Sorry about your father. I know from experience what a task it can be to go through the house and decide what to keep. Good luck
I did want to chime in on the car itself. You may not be aware that the original '91 maintenance schedule said the timing belt & water pump should be changed every 7 yrs/80k miles, whichever comes first. I believe I heard that Acura later relaxed it to 9 years. So, you'll want to check the maintenance records to see when it was last done and if it was longer than 9 years, I'd highly recommend you not drive the car more than necessary and get the belt done asap. If it fails, serious engine damage will occur and it will be expensive. Even if you decide to eventually sell it, it may be easier to sell with the TB done and you may be able to recoup some of the costs. If you do decide to keep it, you'll probably want to have the main hoses between the rad (front) and engine (rear) and oil hoses to/from filter checked and/or replaced. If one of those fails, you may not notice until it overheads and blows a head gasket. Those are the only key things to consider.
Then just enjoy the car as your father would have.

Thanks for the answers everybody. It was helpful getting a variety of different perspectives and thoughts. Not sure what we're going to do with the parts exactly yet, but we'll certainly check back here as we're figuring everything out.

Back