New Owner; Problems Or Common?

I just recently bought a 91 red nsx with 28k on it.

Problems? or just common
1)The driver window winds up slowly, problem or common? Is it the window regulator that i've been hearing about on the 91's?
2)First start of day the engine vibrates moderatly, problem or common?
3)Engine light comes on occasionly, problem or common? maybe just an oil change?
4)I crank my key and the engine doesnt turn some times, problem or common? maybe the starter?
5)MY BEAUTIFULL NSX has 28k on it, do i need to do a valve adjustment? if so how would i know if i need it or not?
6)Damn Stray kat wont stop sleeping on my car cover? Problem or Common?

1) Get the cable lube up by someone who knows about the car. To prevent expensive replacement of the cable, replace the plastic clip with the metal one (you can order them from scienceofspeed.com).

2) How much vibration is it. Could be engine mounting. Larry any suggestion?

3) There is a wire under the passenger footwell that you can jumper. Once jumpered switch on the car and see how much blink the CEL do. First long blink represent the first digit and the second fast blinks is the second digit.

4) You might want to service the starter. Cheap.

5) First off all check the car history. Ever done timing belt replacement, if not better do it fast.

6) Put some warm blanket in the corner of the garage.

cambotwist said:
I just recently bought a 91 red nsx with 28k on it.

Problems? or just common
1)The driver window winds up slowly, problem or common? Is it the window regulator that i've been hearing about on the 91's?
2)First start of day the engine vibrates moderatly, problem or common?
3)Engine light comes on occasionly, problem or common? maybe just an oil change?
4)I crank my key and the engine doesnt turn some times, problem or common? maybe the starter?
5)MY BEAUTIFULL NSX has 28k on it, do i need to do a valve adjustment? if so how would i know if i need it or not?

I agree with 1976 on all but two items.

#4 - could be somthing as simple a loose battery cable connection, even cheaper.

#6 - antifreeze mixed in with some canned tuna......no more stray cat.

And while agreeing or disagreeing, Cambo, oil changes are not related to CELs.

:smile: thanks y'all, i very much appreciate your suggestions and your knowledge. The one about anti freeze in cat food is kind of extreme, had me thinking for a moment since i did find some of his prey on the rear end of my car cover with blood :mad: , but i took the other suggestion and just put sompn cozy in the corner.

One other thing, what does first digit and second digit repersent for problem number 3, Jin1976? I hope yall dont mind me being such a newbie to the nsx game, but im just trying to maintain it and have it urnning fine :biggrin:

THANKS jin and yellow

cambotwist said:
3)Engine light comes on occasionly, problem or common?
Extremely unusual.

cambotwist said:

Does it make a "click" sound when it doesn't start? could be the starter contact, it does get worn out. Could also be the starter fuse (My Supra had similar problem, would not start sometimes, just a click noise, replaced the 30amp start fuse, fires right up everytime afterwards. Almost replaced the starter for nothing.

cambotwist said:
Your 90k service is due (which also include valve adjustment) if you go by time interval. I did the 90k service with valve adjustment on my 92 at 23k miles.

cambotwist said:

I agree with Jin, put a warm blanket in the corner is a win win situation, cats are cool :smile: Meow.

When you switch on the car the CEL light will blink. First it will blink slowly followed by rapid blinks. The first slow and long blink will give you the first digit (eg. two long blinks means 2) followed by rapid blinks (eg. three rapid blinks means 3). So the engine code is 23. Sometimes other code may follow indicating other problem.

Refer to this link for the codes and how to jumper the connectors. Since your car is a 91 refer to the first column marked MIL in the table.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm

This reminds me when I first got the NSX back in 2001. Out of a sudden when I started my car the EPS lights up. I thought the car power steering broke down so I join NSXPrime and posted my problem. Within few hours a got a reply and that solved my problem. People here are very helpful and I learn more about the car day by day.
cambotwist said:
:smile: thanks y'all, i very much appreciate your suggestions and your knowledge. The one about anti freeze in cat food is kind of extreme, had me thinking for a moment since i did find some of his prey on the rear end of my car cover with blood :mad: , but i took the other suggestion and just put sompn cozy in the corner.

One other thing, what does first digit and second digit repersent for problem number 3, Jin1976? I hope yall dont mind me being such a newbie to the nsx game, but im just trying to maintain it and have it urnning fine :biggrin:

THANKS jin and yellow

Just bought my 94' last month, same problem with the window too, glad you posted that, no engine problem though, just this clicking sound on 1st gear at low speed.....sounds like something ready to break off....eerie....sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread here.... :redface:

I have 98 regulators in both of my doors and i had my door tracks removed, cleaned and lubed with white lithium grease shortly after i purchased my car to see if it would help the windows roll up quicker, they are still slow in comparison to every other car i've ever owned.

I also would suggest you check the main relay, ignition switch, and fuel pump resistor for the startup problem.

Back