New owner, picking up '91 black/black this week

Been lurking around prime for a while waiting for the car I want and I came across this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/185748-1991-Black-Black-Manual-VIN-JH4NA1150MT002840

~50k miles, recent repaint, very nice wheels, all major maintenance items taken care of.. and otherwise stock. Decided to jump on it and I'm flying out next week to pick her up. Very happy with the price I negotiated and happy to be buying it from someone that knows NSXs very well. Source1 will be installing pride headers, cats, and lightweight exhaust for me before I pick it up ;). I will update this thread once I see the car on Wednesday. Hoping everything goes well.

Here's some of the pics that used to be on the FS thread:

288_zps9b01eb8c.jpg

286_zpsaa1e3b93.jpg

282_zpsdee195f6.jpg

281_zps15b1918e.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I am really grateful for how much information is available on this forum and on the wiki. I think that's honestly one of the biggest factors I consider when buying a car these days!

I should have mentioned, but the sporty cars I've owned most recently were a 2011 Mustang GT and a 2008 911 turbo (both manual). This will be my first NSX and first Acura, although I have owned a few Hondas as daily drivers. After being disappointed time and time again by German cars, I think I'm done with that overpriced, unreliable, inconsistent crap for good. Sometimes you can get lucky and avoid it, but it ruins the entire experience if you get a "bad one" (my 911 turbo cost me nearly $10k in maintenance in a year).

I also got a great deal on a 2014 BRZ 6-speed just about a month ago and I LOVE that car. I think the BRZ and the NSX will be a great combo to have... BRZ to screw around with and buy a zillion little mods for and the NSX to satisfy my desire for an "exotic" without bankrupting me :).

Last edited:
Congrats, very nice car... ive seen this one up close and personal... clean

Pride exhaust arrived and was installed today :). Big thanks to Mark at Pride for shipping this so quickly and Brian at Source1 Automotive for getting it installed fast too! Awesome service.

Stock exhaust:

IMG_7974.jpg

Pride:

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7978.jpg

Can't wait to see it in person, quality looks sweet in the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7976.jpg
    IMG_7976.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 216
Congrats. I have the same year and color combination. I have also owned 3 Porsches in the past and I am sure you will enjoy the NSX experience more. Maintenance cost much less. I love your wheels. What make and model are they? Looking for new wheels for my car.
Shrink

The wheels are Volk Racing GTF wheels. They definitely look great in person! Gold or bronze wheels look really nice with a black car, in my opinion.

I just picked the car up today and I am absolutely impressed. I drove about 4.5 hours tonight and the car was really comfortable and so easy to manage. The shifter and clutch are the best. The Pride exhaust system sounds AMAZING. Unfortunately I was driving VERY conservatively because it's been snowing on and off and the temps are in the high 20s to low 30s. Stopped at a hotel tonight, hope I don't get snowed in here! Can't wait to get home and really get a chance to open it up on roads I'm more comfortable with.

Got the car home today. Ran into a minor issue on the way. The car was bogging a little when under high load and eventually threw a CEL. I reset the ECU and it went away. Had to do it again about halfway through. I am going to chalk it up to the fact that it was FREAKIN' COLD and the car just had headers put on. Drove it all day today after resetting with 0 issues. The light has not come back and the car pulls hard. Once I got out of the polar region of Pennsylvania the problem never came back, heh.

Few minor things I'll have to address:

Passenger side headlight fixture is wobbly.
Floor vents don't seem to work.
One of my wheels has a bend on the lip, such a shame, these are beautiful wheels. Air pressure is fine though so it's probably mostly cosmetic.
Car seems to pull a tiny bit to the left when I step on it. Steering alignment is a hair off. I'll probably get it aligned and corner balanced.
One of the reverse lights has condensation in it
Windshield wiper blades are worn out

I think this is pretty good for a 1991!!

After getting the car home and taking a closer look in my garage... this is easily one of the cleanest cars I have ever seen in my life. I've bought new cars with worse paint. All of the door/hood/trunk seals are immaculate. It's pretty amazing. Can't wait until next week when the outside temps get back to normal (~50F).

IMG_1054.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome looking car. I like your exhaust updates. What plans do you have for the intake side of your engine? An inexpensive mode that makes some difference, and IMO sounds great, is to put a K&N filter in the airbox and install the Downforce scoop. I did it to mine and it was a great addition. Of course, then I moved on to Twin Turbos. So, fair warning that's how it all starts.

Last edited:
Awesome looking car. I like your exhaust updates. What plans do you have for the intake side of your engine? An inexpensive mode that makes some difference, and IMO sounds great, is to put a K&N filter in the airbox and install the Downforce scoop. I did it to mine and it was a great addition. Of course, then I moved on to Twin Turbos. So, fair warning that's how it all starts.

Yeah, I will probably get the scoop and drop-in filter. I have been looking at FI systems out of curiosity, haha...I hope I can resist for at least the next year or two.

Back