New owner of a 2004 with a couple of questions

Hi Guys,

I'm a new owner of a 2004 Rio Yellow (pics to come) and have a couple of questions for the experts out there.

First, does the 2004-2005 stereo have an anti-theft code? I didn't get any code with my manuals, but after looking through the manual, it looks like the stereo may not even have that security feature. Is there no stereo code like other Hondas and Acuras?

Second, this one is a little more subjective, but is the NSX motor supposed to idle absolutely butter smooth like you can't even tell the engine is on? Or is it normal to have a little slight vibration at idle? I ask because my NSX seems to have a little vibration, but this is also my first rear wheel drive DOHC motor and I'm more used to the luxury V6s like in the Acura RL and RLX. Pretty much all the latest J series Honda V6s like in the RL, Odyssey, Pilot, etc... those things are so smooth at idle that a lot of times I cannot feel that they are even on. I assume the NSX is not quite as smooth due to the performance tuning of the NSX engine, but wanted to check with you all to be sure. Think idle in a Lexus vs idle in an NSX... is the NSX not quite as smooth at idle? Is this normal?

Thanks for any info you can give me!

First want to congrats on NSX ownership. In regard to you questions.
1. No code for stereo unlike S2000 which has code card
2. It does indeed has a little vibration and low ticking if you will,

I own a 99 and my current 91 both have similiar sounds. It won't be smooth or quiet like my Lexus's ls400 and sc430.

Enjoy the new ride, and of course post some pic.

^ what he said :)

both of my 05s have and had an idle that you knew it was running. nothing obnoxious but just enough to know it was on. From behind you hear the car running through the exhaust and then what i am guessing is the air injection or something similar.

Thanks for the reply guys! That makes me feel much better that there is nothing wrong with my car. The best way I can describe it is like a low idle. Like you said, it's not obnoxious but you definitely know it is on... like a Harley motorcycle, but of course not nearly as rough. I figured it was the high redline capability so even with the 2 cam profiles with VTEC, it wasn't possible to have a perfectly smooth idle and still get the maximum performance.

I guess driving a real sports car is a completely different experience to get used to... even at idle. :-)

Congrats, and welcome to ownership of the fastest and best looking color NSX. A little vibration, as stated, is absolutely normal. The stereo, well they'll take the car, not the radio. And to date, I've never used the cassette player, and I've had the car for 12 years!!!

Congrats Brother .... Indeed welcome to Club Yellow!
Looking forward to the pics ... Looks like your questions
have been answered and I concur!

Some say 2004 was the best year for the NSX… I'm not sure why but I never bothered looking into it :)

Congrats and welcome!

Thanks everyone! Here are some pictures taken when my car was delivered (it came all the way from Minnesota). I still haven't had a chance to detail the car yet, but it looks pretty good as is right off the truck. I never in a million years thought I would buy a yellow car, but I must admit, this Rio Yellow is starting to grow on me! :-)

e55a4015a.jpg

e55a4016a.jpg

e55a4017a.jpg

e55a4018a.jpg

e55a4019a.jpg

e55a4020a.jpg

Congrats! The car looks great.
Looks like the transport driver took good care of it while unloading.

^ what he said :)

both of my 05s have and had an idle that you knew it was running. nothing obnoxious but just enough to know it was on. From behind you hear the car running through the exhaust and then what i am guessing is the air injection or something similar.
I noticed the same thing on the 91 I test drove and on my 1997 as well. I think sitting right up against the motor may have something to do with it.

I'm glad to be hearing the same thing from different NSX owners. I guess I've been too used to the modern luxury car experience of no noise, no vibrations - buttery smooth idle. It was immediately obvious when I first started the NSX, and I was like what's wrong with the car!

Now I feel a little better...

Congrats on the purchase!! We both had inquired on that silverstone 05 in Dallas. Nice to see we both found 02+'s and brought them back to the PacNW :)

I always love seeing the NSX truck unloading pictures. Congrats on your purchase. The car looks great.

Back