New Owner - "Mushy" Clutch Question

Just bought a 1996 NSX-T (red/tan) after lurking here for a while. Thanks to all for so much useful information.

I have a question about the clutch. My last two stick shifts were a BMW Z3 and 911 Carrera, so I may need to reset my expectations of how the clutch "feels" in an NSX. That said, the clutch in mine feels ... well ... kinda "mushy." Is this a common feel? What's the secret to a good strong launch without a fair amount of clutch slippage?

The car has 80,000 miles on it. Am I experiencing a clutch that needs to be replaced? Adjusted?

Thanks for any input -- I'm looking forward to learning all about this amazing car.

Well, I have a Boxster and the clutch on my NSX is so much different. I guess it's like a baseball player practice with the weights around the bat and when you swing a bat it's so much softer and lighter feel. That's what's it's like when driving the Boxster to the NSX. If you're looking at a new clutch look in to the RPS Clutch. I'd be more like what you've been used to from your 911.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check on the hydraulic fluid.

The clutch is certainly much lighter than the 911. My question really goes to how the clutch engages. I'm having difficulty telling when it's engaging as as a result I have more clutch slippage from standstill -> first gear (and sometimes from first -> second) than I like.

Any other tips/thoughts are much appreciated.

Ah yes, the stock clutch is very light and easy to slip (and drive)... probably why a lot of us burn 'em up so quickly. However, you really shouldn't have any difficulty telling when it is engaging... it's possible that your clutch is starting to slip on its own :frown: .

Back