New Owner Delima

Hi Guys,

Sorry to keep on bugging you guys. I now own my 94 red/black NSX for more than 3 weeks now and I love it. The fact that I can't keep my hand off it has turn into a little delima. Today, after I drove it to work, I had it in the shade. As I was coming out for to go to lunch, instead of the usual shinning reflection that makes me squint my eyes, I was able to examine my hook as I approach to drive the car. That is when I see many small white spot in the front end of the car. I took a closer look at it, as I didn't even notice them when I washed it last Saturday. I found besides the original rock chips that belongs to the previous owner, there are many, I mean many little tiny white dots. Initially, I thought it might be dirt or caked on wax. Then, to my horror, they are actually really, really small rock chips. They are not as deep as the bigger ones from before, but, nevertheless, making the car looks like having some flour power spilt on the hood. (I am still not sure what happen. However, I strongly suspect the car wash place that my friend recommended me, which turned out it wasn't all hand wash, because the first loop has some mechanical cloth brush, and I found out after the car went into the wash ):frown::frown:

I immediately drove to the bodyshop I know that does works for DUB and exotic car dealers, I was told that either I keep the way it is, or if I want to make it look like brand new, repainting the front hood, front bumper, front spoiler, both side skirts, right side rear panels, which require painting the doors to blend in, is going to cost me $3000. They said that because NSX require some 3 step process painting and clear coating, that is why costs abit more. In addition, it will cost another 6-700 for front clear bra (up to the top of the front light) and god knows how much more for addition parts (side skirt bra, extended hood bra, etc..).

My delima, is not just he money, which I can save up shortly. However, my problem is that I don't want the question like "did this car got into an accident because these panels are repainted?" should I want to sell it later on. I know many of you have owned, owning, and sold many NSX. Can you give me your advises in what I should do? Should I re-paint or should I keep it the way it is....

P.S. Sorry to be so long winded...I like my things perfect... I guess I am some kind of perfection freak... You should see my college text books... They are all in brand new conditions, without any writing or folding marks...:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
If this is your daily driver don't worry about the chips; you yourself didn't notice them for three weeks lol.

Also a side note, $3000 seems too low for painting pretty much the entire car minus the roof.

If this is your daily driver don't worry about the chips; you yourself didn't notice them for three weeks lol.

Also a side note, $3000 seems too low for painting pretty much the entire car minus the roof.

Well, I have known the bodyshop for sometimes. The job in questioned is hood, both lights, front bumper, front spoiler, both side skirt, driver side rear panel, in which the door also need to be painted so it can blend it. The original quote was $3800 and he was giving me a $800 discount.

Anyway, my biggest issue is that if I painted, will that lower my resell value? If not, will the small imperfections lower the value also?

pics, your probably over reacting. Im sure the car still looks gorgeous. The holidays are coming save some cash.

If you decide to get the work done, fully document the process with digital photos and have the body shop be very specific on the paperwork that as to why it is being painted. If you have proof it was not accident damage and done for cosmetic reasons, it won't hurt the value, assuming it is quality work.

As these cars age, paint is going to become an issue for all of them as nothing last forever. Personally, if you are going to daily drive the car, I'm not sure I'd worry that much about chips as they will come back unless you put a clear bra on it. Even with the front bra, there are other areas of the car that are exposed to debris like the side intakes.

if you spend the money and paint it, you are still going to get rock chips from driving. Unless, you get a bra or spend even more money and get clear bra.

at least you driving your car and enjoying it.

I recommend that you just leave it the way it is. You could drop the 3 grand and as soon as you drive it again you will just collect more rock chips since your supposed to wait for the paint to cure before the clear bra install.

Anyone that drives their NSX regularly has the same problem.

Just don't worry. When I first got my Nsx I wanted it perfect but there were already a good amount of rock chips.

I thought about resale value when I started modding but I don't care anymore. Unless you want a show car I wouldn't repaint a stock Nsx because of rock chips...

Stephen

Thanks for all the inputs. So, is it your experience that NSX attract more rock chips? My daily drive of last 3 years is an Accord coupe. I don't even see that much rock chips. Is the the inherent lower design that causes the problem?

Think of them as road battle scars. Chics dig scars. :tongue::biggrin:

PS I used to think the same way. But then got used to the chips because they will always happen. So unless its something major minor blemishes no longer bother me. That and my neice and nephew are always around, kids will be kids (I'll beat on them when they get older :biggrin:), and there are random hand prints on my car from them now and then.

Thanks for all the inputs. So, is it your experience that NSX attract more rock chips? My daily drive of last 3 years is an Accord coupe. I don't even see that much rock chips. Is the the inherent lower design that causes the problem?

I think it is inherent to faster speeds, not the lower design. When traveling at high speeds, even grains of sand will chip the paint.

Back