New Owner 93 NSX

Hi everybody,

I'm a new NSX owner! I just picked up a 93 NSX from a buddy of mine. Kinda high mileage, 110,000, but hey, at least its not an RX-7. I used to have a 93 RX-7, and holy lord...The "rotisserie" motor exploded at 80k, resulting in a costly rebuild that kept her down for a while. 2+ years and 13,000 dollars later, I drove her for about a year longer until I couldn't stand it. I sincerely hope NSX's are not as finicky as RX-7's are. I know I will have to shell out some serious coin on an NSX, but I am hopeful that it will return an equal amount of satisfaction rather than exponential frustration. (knocks on wood)

Anyways, I just thought I'd check in here and see what you guys might have to throw at me in terms of what to look out for as a new owner. I've read through a lot of the faq/new owner wikis and guides that have been posted here, and they've been very helpful. I did a lot of behind the scenes reading before jumping in and purchasing, and incidentally posting here as well.

Basic Specs: (I'll try to get pics up soon)

110,000 mi
5 spd
black on black, repainted
wheels: Gunmetal Prodrive GC07's
K&N filter cone kit, NOT the drop in stock airbox filter. Hrm. Might be replacing this soon for stock.
Stock radio shorted out, aftermarket speakers in doors.
Trunk struts and Rear glass struts are blown
Wings west aero kit

All in all, pretty standard run o' the mill stuff in my opinion. Common in a lot of ways, nothing wild or waaaay off the beaten path.

Ok. Thats all for now. :)

Congratulations.
You've stumbled across one of the most amazing cars ever built period.
I too have a 93 RX7 but dont expect much in the way of catastrophes at 450 miles total. Really.
NSX is my favorite car. Other than a Ferrari F-40 or McLaren F1. Both on the bucket list. One down two to go. We'll see how that plays out ;)

Last edited:
Post some pics!!! You will not regret your decision at all.

Congrats!!

Welcome to NSX PRIME, anything you need to know can be found on this site! I have been a member for 6 months, I am on everyday learning and helping others. You just made one of the best investments out there! If you ever go to sell it you will get every dollar you paid for it back!! good luck,, post some pics soon!! I got my NSX with 108,000 miles and didnt have one regret, the car was built with love from Japan!! again Welcome good luck

Last edited:
congrats and welcome. I'd love to hear your first impressions of driving and living with the car compared with the mazda.I also went from a 93 R1 to a 96 nsx.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am super excited for this car! Its definitely a head turner to say the least. Thus far, I am surprised at its power. I've read a lot of things about how slow it is, but seriously, for all practicality sake, its a damn fast car. As far as the move from an RX-7 to an NSX, I've seen pros and cons in the short time that I've driven both cars. I loved the turbo in my FD, and miss that. But, its made up for 10 fold in a stable NSX powerplant and hopefully *crosses fingers* reliability. So far, after owning an RX-7 FD for 3 years, and an NSX for 3 days, I'm already sold on the NSX. However, time will only tell if that mentality changes.

There are things however, that I've found about my particular NSX that I would like to fix. The following list represents in no particular order, the things that I've found after just looking, driving, and getting acquainted with her.

1. Tailights filled up with slight condensation after washing. Do I need a new compression gasket?
2. Electrical or possibly mechanical (loose screw sound) buzzing coming from the hole where the stock stereo used to be. Clicking the car to ACC makes the sound, and it is always happening when the car is running.
3. Floormats need to be replaced, No trunkmat. I'm ordering a set soon from SOS unless someone knows where I can get them at a better price.
4. Paint is swirled and 'hologrammed' in a lot of places. But I can't complain considering that it's not exactly rolling off the show room floor. However, since we're just getting acquainted, I just spent last saturday afternoon waxing and appreciating body lines. She shines up pretty well, but holy moly. Black is hard to maintain. Sheesh! It gets dirty so quickly. I feel like I have to wash her once a week.
5. Which brings me to my next point: The wings west lip has been riveted onto the stock lip. UGH. The paint on the lip is spiderwebbing cracking like crazy.
6. Looking for a decent car cover, as shameful as it is, I have to park the car outdoors most of the time. Once again, I'm considering the SOS one.
7. Trunk struts and Glass struts are blown. I've read that this is common. Good 'ol wooden dowel for now.
8. Exhaust is mounted slightly crooked. I'm going to have to realign the brackets that hold it in place when I get the time.
9. Clutch shudder: Now this worries me a bit. From my understanding, I do believe that there is a 6 puck installed, with no brand knowledge. I've read how to reduce it, and I've gotten the knack of it. Its pretty mild though. Grabs fine, so then again perhaps its normal. I've read that the release bearing could also be the culprit, but getting to it requires disassembly, at which point clutch replacement is a smart idea. I'll deal with the shudder for now.
10. I hear an almost choo choo like train sound when the car is idling, and sometimes when revving up. It sounds to me like an exhaust leak, but I could be wrong. It's really really faint, and I can only hear it when I drive by a wall or something or another car and hear it echo off. Rev's up super smooth, and doesn't hesitate at all, so I wonder if it's the cantrell concepts headers or Taitec exhaust just doing their thing. The purr she makes when going up a hill is so nice anyways, I typically don't think twice about it. But I'm so used to listening for problems, its just in my nature I suppose.
11. I can't drive this car enough! I just want to drive drive drive. Is this normal? lol. Fantastic feeling overall. I'm going to be taking it slow with mods and fixes, and just learning everything I can along the way.

Ok, I'm tired. I'll check back in soon with some pics hopefully. I really appreciate the positive support guys. I'm so blessed to be able to own such a fantastic car. Oh ya, and I'm obsessed with the monel key. Previous owner scraped all the red out, and the key was dull. I polished it up and repainted the red. I love it. If there is one thing I'm obsessed about with cars, its those little things that contribute to the fit and finish. Just a little reminder that I finally have an NSX! Its murder sitting in my office staring at the key. I gotta put it in the drawer or something.

careful with the alpha-numeric RX7. Alot of haters (cuz they know it's a superior performing machine deep down inside for alot less)

My FD that I had:

concorso.jpg

topreaRX7.jpg

18420018.jpg

18420023.jpg

18420015.jpg

Now:
DSC_6930.JPG

nsxaccelerating2.JPG

.....4. Paint is swirled and 'hologrammed' in a lot of places. But I can't complain considering that it's not exactly rolling off the show room floor. However, since we're just getting acquainted, I just spent last saturday afternoon waxing and appreciating body lines. She shines up pretty well, but holy moly. Black is hard to maintain. Sheesh! It gets dirty so quickly. I feel like I have to wash her once a week.
5. Which brings me to my next point: The wings west lip has been riveted onto the stock lip. UGH. The paint on the lip is spiderwebbing cracking like crazy.

Try this remedy:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128468&highlight=zaino

Answers,
1 moisture in trunk = taillight gaskets
2 Sound from Radio hole = there is a temp sensor for the cabin under the radio hole,it has three slits near the e-brake,, use canned air to blow it out prob lots of dust/hair in it
3 Floormats = ebay Brand new 100 bucks
4 Paint = there is this new wax out there called " The Black Box " by turtle wax,, its for black cars,, the wax has black dye in it its the best, I had the same prob but after one application I am sold on this comes with cleaner wax, carnuba wax, 2 bottles of remover spray,, and pads,, try you will love it,,
5 West wing lip damage = remove it buy a new one
6 Car cover = Ebay 220
7 Trunk lifts/engine glass lift = dealership trunk part# 74872-SL0-023, glass Part # 74820-SL0-315 ,,,,,,total 220
8 Bent exhaust = let car run to heat them up stand on them with one foot to bend them back down,, takes a few tries till your happy
9 Clutch = needs new clutch if it grinds a little when shifting into a gear,, price ?? i dont know
10 choo-choo sound when passing a wall or other cars,, mine does it to I can figure it our,, I wanna say the wheel bearings need to be re-greased but I havent gotten to that part yet sorry
11 should you be wanting to drive it drive it drive it??? = YES drive it,, I would go outside to look at it every few minutes,, I have had my Black on black for 6 months and still walk out side every few minutes to look at its lines!!

Last edited:
so, blackbox or zaino? or both? I'm kind of leaning towards zaino just because it seems like its a more permanent fix because of its mild abrasive in it. Otherwise, you're just hiding/obscuring the scratches, which will surface again later. I saw that link to the zaino treatement in the detailing section. Looks amazing. I just visited their website and got confused though. They have so many different polishes/waxes/slicking agents, I just don't know which ones I would need. I feel like I want to try to fix the lip, but maybe you're right. It might cost more to sand it down, fill the holes and paint it. My stock acura emblem is also trashed. I want to get a second gen red "H", but it won't match the tailight. I like the smoked tailights too, but they're pricy for what they are. But then again, what isn't expensive for this car. Thx for the replies guys. Sorry for the lengthy post earlier.

Last edited:
Sorry on the loss of your rx-7. I loved my FD. The gf still says it was her favorite of the nsx 350z and rx7. The engines really aren't that bad if your not overboosting them and reving it to 12k. I mean come on, new seals are about the only thing that NEEDS to be replaced. The difference with this car is while you pay more for maintaince in the fd, the parts for the nsx make up the difference. My jspec turbo for the fd i want to say was 2g or so installed. A nsx is what, 10g plus install or some crazy number. I love the rx7, to me it is timeless like the nsx. Gotta love that twin turbo. Congrats though on the nsx. I have not taken the nsx up to the same speeds as the rx7 but am confident it will surpass it. The handleing of the nsx is amazing as you probably have figured out. I wish them would have made a trubo or supercharger from teh factory, that would be sweet for this car. Most of all the nsx will always have the looks factor, everyone wants to be your friend suddenly or is that just me??

Attachments

• P1010100.jpg
    P1010100.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 126
so, blackbox or zaino? or both? I'm kind of leaning towards zaino just because it seems like its a more permanent fix because of its mild abrasive in it. Otherwise, you're just hiding/obscuring the scratches, which will surface again later. I saw that link to the zaino treatement in the detailing section. Looks amazing. I just visited their website and got confused though. They have so many different polishes/waxes/slicking agents, I just don't know which ones I would need. I feel like I want to try to fix the lip, but maybe you're right. It might cost more to sand it down, fill the holes and paint it. My stock acura emblem is also trashed. I want to get a second gen red "H", but it won't match the tailight. I like the smoked tailights too, but they're pricy for what they are. But then again, what isn't expensive for this car. Thx for the replies guys. Sorry for the lengthy post earlier.

The blackbox will hide the chips and imperfections where the Zaino will give it a deep wet shine.

I suspect that appealing zaino over a black boxed surface will wipe off the black box wax.......

Welcome and Congrats on your purchase.

Sounds like you have done a lot of research on this site. Kudos to you for doing that before posting!:smile:

Member Hrant on this site sells good car covers. The SOS cover is nice also.

SOS also sells hatch and trunk struts. You can also get your old ones rebuilt. Do a search on "Strutwise" and you will find the related thread.

I like Zaino but that is personal preference. I like the fact it has UV protection in it and its pretty easy to use. The bad part is it requires several steps to get it where you want it to be. Perhaps have it detailed professionally first and then you can maintain it from there.

Enjoy yourself!

Ya, the RX-7 was a great car. I was definitely sad to see it go. But I just couldn't justify 6 miles to the gallon, let alone having to stay on the gas to keep it idling. Its been a long time since I've had a sports car again though, so I'm trying my best to ease back into it. The handling on the NSX scares me almost as much as the RX-7 does. The RX-7 was more 'squirelly' at speed in corners, where the nsx just seems to hang on. It's definitely going to require some getting used to driving with no power steering, but so far I really like the feedback from the road that I get. But again, the hanging on concept in a turn is crazy. You really need to have a firm hand with the NSX, v.s. the RX-7 requiring a quicker hand for lack of a better term. Hard to explain.

Anyways, ya, I will try the Zaino out. I know its no professional detail, but I do have a buffer, just scared to just go to town on it like some mad chainsaw massacre. Plus, I like touching my car anyways, so the extra time spent outside with my new car isn't a bad thing.

So, all in all after everything that I've written, where should I invest? Again, so far I'm going simple first. Leaning towards floor mats and a car cover. Does anyone have experience with the SOS cover? I have the wings west kit which is pretty mild. I would think the sideskirts might stick out a bit, and the front lip. But if I ever get an NSX-R wing... hrm.

I can't figure out how to get the turnsignals out. I feel like it has to be popped out past the bumper with a flatblade from the outside edge, but I don't want to wreck it. It looks like it installs like the integra lenses. And I'm sure there is a writeup somewhere on how to remove the tail lights. Hopefully replacing the gasket remedies the condensation problem, and while I have the lenses and tailights out, I want to polish those up. Suggestions for cleaning up the plastic?

Last edited:
Ya, the RX-7 was a great car. I was definitely sad to see it go. But I just couldn't justify 6 miles to the gallon, let alone having to stay on the gas to keep it idling. Its been a long time since I've had a sports car again though, so I'm trying my best to ease back into it. The handling on the NSX scares me almost as much as the RX-7 does. The RX-7 was more 'squirelly' at speed in corners, where the nsx just seems to hang on. It's definitely going to require some getting used to driving with no power steering, but so far I really like the feedback from the road that I get. But again, the hanging on concept in a turn is crazy. You really need to have a firm hand with the NSX, v.s. the RX-7 requiring a quicker hand for lack of a better term. Hard to explain.

Anyways, ya, I will try the Zaino out. I know its no professional detail, but I do have a buffer, just scared to just go to town on it like some mad chainsaw massacre. Plus, I like touching my car anyways, so the extra time spent outside with my new car isn't a bad thing.

So, all in all after everything that I've written, where should I invest? Again, so far I'm going simple first. Leaning towards floor mats and a car cover. Does anyone have experience with the SOS cover? I have the wings west kit which is pretty mild. I would think the sideskirts might stick out a bit, and the front lip. But if I ever get an NSX-R wing... hrm.

I can't figure out how to get the turnsignals out. I feel like it has to be popped out past the bumper with a flatblade from the outside edge, but I don't want to wreck it. It looks like it installs like the integra lenses. And I'm sure there is a writeup somewhere on how to remove the tail lights. Hopefully replacing the gasket remedies the condensation problem, and while I have the lenses and tailights out, I want to polish those up. Suggestions for cleaning up the plastic?

I had 250k miles on the FD so I know the car pretty dam well.

The steering input, response, etc. is superior to the NSX. Period. Even my friend that got my into the NSX who sold me his and he had another one prior, agreed that the FD steering is what every car should feel like. Precise. ZERO play, like a shark turning on it's meal.

The FD is lighter and has a front mid engine lay out, as u know. Couple that with a shorter wheel base and u will have a car that can get squirrely.

On turns I left it in 4th gear since anything less than that can easily deliver too much instantaneous power, causing the car to snap out.

The FD I had actually took faster turns than the NSX.

The NSX felt more planted, but it had a shorter limit before the TCS starts to kick or u feel the tires giving away.

Don't ever let ur NSX snap out from the rear, unless u really know ur car.

Unlike the FD, it's a rear-mid engine car and once that back end goes out, it's alot harder to recover than the FD.

"Sound from Radio hole = there is a temp sensor for the cabin under the radio hole,it has three slits near the e-brake,, use canned air to blow it out prob lots of dust/hair in it"

Where do I blow compressed air to clean out the vents? Since my stereo is out I figure I might as well. Does anyone have a pic? That buzzing/clicking sound is driving me nuts.

Hi,
I just ordered floor mats for my Accord from these guys.

HondaFloorMats.com

Perfect OEM replacement. The price was great and they delivered them in 2 days. The ones for the NSX are $115.

Good luck with the new NSX. You will be looking for all sorts of excuses to drive it. I do.

Gary

Lot's of good input here so far. I'll add just a little. In my opinion the clutch shudder you're speaking of is normal. I've got a new one and there is just a little bit in first. No big deal.

The rest of it has been answered by others quite well. Good luck and happy motoring. Nothing like the NSX. I drive mine most days.

"Sound from Radio hole = there is a temp sensor for the cabin under the radio hole,it has three slits near the e-brake,, use canned air to blow it out prob lots of dust/hair in it"

Where do I blow compressed air to clean out the vents? Since my stereo is out I figure I might as well. Does anyone have a pic? That buzzing/clicking sound is driving me nuts.

To the bottom right of the ash tray door there will be 3 slits that are cut into the console. It is in front of your e-brake release button when your e-brake is down. This is the aspirator fan.

You can try blowing compressed air into there, but in my experience it doesn't do much. The problem is the aspirator fan nut on the back get loose over time. You will to buy a new aspirator fan or try to fix yours buy tightening the screw on the back. You will have to remove the entire center console to remove the aspirator fan.

I can help you with this. It only takes me less than 10 minutes to remove your center console.

The clutch shudder is not normal but happens on serveral NSX.

The most likely cause is the throw out bearing.

You can reduce the clutch shudder by lubing up the snot of the tranny. Release the clutch fork/boot and spray inside with silicone grease. Then get Honda Hi-temp Urea grease and try to spread around in there. There is a thread somewhere on prime that kinda explains how to do this.

I've done this with my car and it helps for 4 months. The shudder started to come back, but not as bad as before.

Photo of my car attached. Just waxed her. I photoshopped the image to get the stance lower, and got rid of the surrounding reflections. Hopefully these images upload. I know that triple slit vent next to the e-brake handle. I will try shooting some compressed air into it...Doing this really cures the sound coming from deep in the center console behind the radio? I guess the sound of the dirt might radiate to the fans.

As for the clutch shudder, I can really regrease? And where? How? *scratches head*

Attachments

• IMG_3210.jpg
    IMG_3210.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 222
  • NSX Rework_Lowered.jpg
    NSX Rework_Lowered.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 197
Back