New Owner 91 NSX.

Hey guys, I am the new proud owner of a 91 NSX. I have always wanted one and decided to pull the trigger earlier this month. I also have a 94 supra 6 speed that makes 1k h.p. and an 08 Evo X for track sessions.

I have to admit the NSX is an acquired driving experience for me. I was a little discouraged when I first bought the car because it was a little low on power for todays' standards. However I took it out on a few laps at our local track that had an open track day, and any skeptical feelings I had on the car quickly dissolved as I got to experience the true nature of the car. Compared to the Evo on a track, I feel like I have more of a connection to the car as far as being able to control it.

The previous owner took very good care of the car and has several receipts from SOS that includes stoptech BBK's al around, JIC coil overs, ARK exhaust, iforged wheels, RPS clutch, etc. Surprisingly the local Acura dealership was RAPING him with $650 oil change and fluid top off charges.

So because it was leaking oil on the exhaust manifold, and with both of us not having too much knowledge of the motor at the time, he did not want to have any more association with expensive repair costs and we agreed on a price.

After several hours using the search function, I have replaced both spool valve seals, both valve cover gaskets, and no more leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. i have replaced the oil with royal purple, replaced the transmission fluid with AMSoil synchromesh, replaced the spark plugs, and now I am installing some newly acquired headers. I am just stuck with the long engine mount bolt. I also updated the car with HID's and the grom ipod adapter which is probably one of the best updates I have performed on the car.

So in conclusion I am very happy with the build quality with this car compared to several sports cars I have owned. The interior shows little wear, the paint cleaned up very well using my flex polisher and menzerna polishes. Very robust body panels. I am very happy with the purchase so far. I am now debating between the CTSC or the Angus turbo kit. My goal is to have 400 h.p. and keep it under 3,000 lbs.

4084042767_b06e9c82d2.jpg

Welcome to the club!

Welcome and congrats. You may have trouble smogging the car with a turbo kit and that will not be the case with a CTSC.

Welcome. I also have a 91 and it wasn't taken care of except for oil and fluid changes. So to add to your list of maintenance items I'd recommend:
TB/WP/Tensioner/Harmonic Balancer
Water Hoses
Both AC and Alternator Belts
Main Relay

I wish I had your BBK. My only complaint with this car is the braking. Other than that, the NSX was what I'd been looking for.

Thanks guys. The previous owner did have the timing belt/water pump as well as two new timing covers installed at 60k miles. Also the climate control head unit in the interior was installed and the AC works good.

One of the main projects that I will tackle in the car is the ABS system. Upon going through the car I noticed that on the track day that I went to, the brakes locked up on a few occasions. So the following week I researched the ABS system and noticed it isn't the best design, and that many people have had maintenance issues with them. So digging deeper I found that the ALB relay was missing in the fuse box. Got one from the local dealer and tried testing the system using the switch hooked to the relay-slot method when replacing the fluid. Well there is no power whatsoever. Next I tested the ABS pump by hooking power to the harness and it definitey powers up. The previous owner stated that after driving a few times, it would leak a large brake fluid puddle under the garage. So he just pulled the fuse and had the dealer cancel out the light somehow. The car did come with a spare accumulator so depending on further research, I may just end up getting the ABS killer kit from Dali and remove the old accumulator all together. Any track guys run without ABS?

Hi Jeff, I'm running without ABS and TCS and find that the Stoptechs (with Carbotech XP10) will stop the car fine. Hard braking will lock up the wheels without ABS of course. Tracking in the rain will make you a drift king real quick. Shad is looking into a solution for me right now...

Meanwhile, I'll be sending out those test pipes for you. I also had the Ark-Dts exhaust with TPs and they sounded way better IMO than my current Bel Canto.

Again, congrats on the car and I applaud you for tracking/driving the car as it was meant to be designed.

PS.) Get an Accusump, baffled oil pan, and Hoosiers R6s :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Good to hear Larry about the ABS. I have the pagid race pads and the only gripe I have about them is the intensive squealing they make around town. An old guy rolled down his window just to say "stoptech eh? too bad you can't stop the squeaking".

As far as wheels and tires I will probably post my iforged wheels for sale soon as they are a little too heavy for my liking. I already have some advan 8048's. Hopefully John from CCW can outfit my car with a set.

Back