New NSX vs. Skyline R35

Anyone looking at these two rare supercars as a possible replacement for the current NSX? From photos alone, i kind of like the R35's edgy styling better but don't know if tariff and conversion costs will make it unattainable. Performance comparisons aren't available yet but, based on their history, that should be a shootout. Anyone familiar with this gray market import stuffs or had experience owning a RHD car in the U.S.? I can see how drive thru's and toll roads can be a pain.

I've seen a RHD R34 Skyline around Santa Monica (one of those brought over by Torrance based MotoRex). Have you been to their website?

http://www.skylinegtr.com

I've also heard rumors that Nissan may bring a LHD Skyline to the U.S. market sometime soon...but only rumors. Perhaps you should wait?

You prefer the look of the Skyline over the NSX? Interesting. To me that's like comparing a Ferrari 360 and a BMW M3...both look awesome, but are in totally different leagues.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 30 May 2001).]

As far as I know the R-35 hasnt been produced yet. All the pictures you see are computer molded "approximations". I think.

As far as the R-34 goes, typically when they race them in the BM video's the NSX and Skyline are neck and neck. You really can't tell who's going to win until the very end. Although lately the Evo VII has been kicking both of their asses. (Last 2 months of the BM video's).

In either case, both are nice cars. Certainly wouldnt mind having one. Someone told me that they run about 100K total to have the imported and then converted to LHD, and then having them US certified.

I've seen a Skyline once, a white R34, on the way back from irvine to LA. The owner tuned it to about 550hp, fairly common #'s for these cars with about 10K in mods. The R35's styling direction (see sketch) looks like an improvement over the fuglier earlier models. It's something that imo could grow on people especially if the rumored AWD 450hp V8 turns out to be true, that would put it at least on par with 996TT performance and rarity. Motorex has some good info and would be one of the first places to go, but alternatives are always nice.

gtr3.jpg

Have any of you actually SEEN the R-35 model of the Skyline?
I saw them in Japan last year and the R-35 looks TERRIBLE. Now granted it wasnt the GT-R Variant, but the GT-R model draws heavily from its sedan counterparts as far as styling goes.
I hope it doesnt look like the R-35 GTS model...
The R-35 makes the R-34 look like the most badass aggressive looking car on the planet.

I don't think the Skyline GTR R-35 and 400R coupes are even built yet. I remember Nissan, at a car show, had a four-door sedan that also had the word skyline or r35 in it, very confusing.

What most people dont understand I think, or find confusing is that the Skyline is a Sedan. R-32, R-33, R-34, R-35 are all codes that designate model changes.

There are 8 bajillion Skyline's that you can purchase. Most of them quite ordinary.
So, you could buy a R-35 (newest generation) Skyline GTS-T which would be the 2.5L I-6 Turbo on a 4 door sedan.
or a Skyline GTS Coupe which would be a 2 door Skyline with just the 2.5L I-6. I think there are also 4 cylinder models too. I got a R-34 Brochure while I was in Japan so I could look there and find out later. The GT-R Model is the only one which comes with the 2.6L as far as I understand..

In any case the R-35 GT-R is not out yet, but the rest of the Skyline lineup IS. Which is probably what you saw. But if the R-35 Sedan's are any indication of what the GT-R will look like...I think we're all in for some disappointment.

FWIW, a friend that works w/ NISMO tells me that Nissan is bringing the GT-R stateside. It will be an Infiniti, cost $50k-ish, and use the same VG30DETT powerplant in the 300ZX for 400hp.

Also, I read that the next Skyline GT-R will be known as just the GT-R. <shrug>

Michael.

Hang on..How can they bring the GT-R Stateside if it isnt a GT-R anymore?
You said it will cost 50K ish...The Skyline costs closer to 60K, and it does not run on a 3.0L V-6 like the 300ZX. The Skyline runs on a 2.6L inline 6 with a Twin Turbo setup.

The 400hp part I can understand, but the 3.0L powerplant part I don't believe.
Skyline has ALWAYS been an inline 6.

As far as being known only as the GT-R. Its already that way in Japan. Yes its FULL name is BNR-34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec II. (Talk about a mouth full) but everyone knows it as just "the GT-R"

50k-ish or 60k-ish -- over 40k. <shrug>

The Z was an inline-6 until the 300ZX so it would not be unusual for Nissan to change engine config as long as it's not drastic like a V-8.

There's been a lot of speculation flying in the air... in the magazines, on the web, by the water cooler, etc. My friend isn't one to BS like that so I "cautiously" believe him.

Cheers!

Michael.

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that japanese car companies don't reveal much about new or upcomming hot models leaving magazines to speculate and play with photoshop pics all over the place

same thing is happening right now with the NSX, until someone high enough on the totem pole is willing to say something on the record all we have is speculation

I don't know about new NSX vs R35 but if you want your NSX vs R33, there's a guy here in Chicago that has right hand drive R33! hahaha The guy is crazy!

ok for one thing there is no r-35 its just the gtr, and it looks dumb. its too (spaceaged) looking it has no badass styling like the r-32-33-34. Performance wise it might be more powerful, but it looks a cadilac future concept car.

there are about 8 to 10 GTR's here in washington. I've seen in person a Blue R34, a White R33, Silver R33, White R32, a Black R32, and the White R33 that i just got done putting the engine and drive train in. Most of them are either Microsoft, Nintendo workers, or owners/workers at import speed shops. Oh, dont forget the exchange students, they've got rid of their supra for skylines to.

On another note, i've seen 2 RHD CRX's, and 2 RHD Civic Hatchbacks. I've just parted out a RHD 99 Integra Type-R, and a RHD 99 Civic Type-R, and i'm parting out a RHD prelude, and DelSol. And Just finished a RHD conversion on a 95 civic coupe.

-Ray

Just wanted to add a few points:

1) What Edo said is dead on 100% correct and everyone should read it and memorize it. There is a frightening amount of misinformation regarding the Skyline and it has this bizarre cult following in the US that is odd. The Skyline is a regular old Nissan in Japan and there are millions of them. The hyped up over the top version that everyone in the US creams over is the BNR-34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec II. There are millions of those in Japan as well, but that is the bad boy that tops the model line for Nissan.

2) The top of the line Skyline, the above mentioned BNR-34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec II is about $60k in Japan. The only realistic, legal, way to get it in the US for street usage is to get it through Motorex. They did the legwork and spent the cash for the NTSB approval. Outside of an official importer like Motorex, the only way to legally bring a car in is to spend an enormous amount of cash and deal with the NTSB yourself.

3) The 2003 Infiniti G35 is the Skyline. Rumor's have been floating that the GT-R will make it over as well and will be the "Infiniti GT-R" and go for $60-$70k...

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 26 March 2002).]

The Skylines Motorex imports are not converted to LHD it would be impossible. That is actually the reason why Nissan never brought the Skyline over in the first place. The configuration of the I6 made LHD impossible.

There are lots of rumors about what the US Skyline is going to be. Will it be a tech filled supercar or more of a GT. I hope they go with a 3.5 TT rather than the 4.5 V8.

Actually there are LHD Skylines. There is a company in the USA that does the conversion. But they want a rediculaous $14,000 to do the conversion. I have the brochures and pictures of it..... its funny. Its not that hard to drive RHD, only takes a few days to get used to it. From the information i gathered they were using alot of 300zx parts to do the conversion. and fabricating a new dash. the only picture that they didnt show is how they got the steering linkage past the dual downpipes, because with the heat sheilds on the factory downpipes they are huge, and god forbid if the person has upgraded large diameter downpipes.

-Ray

There is another company that is selling coverted LHD skylines for around $66,000 here in California near Puente Hills. The owner was going to let me test drive one but I didn't have time. Either way, I would not clunk out that much money for a car that is worth thousands less new in Japan just because we don't have it here in the US. I rather get a car that is actually worth that much, a Carrera maybe? Just my 2 cents.

Ryan

What's the other company?

There is something very fishy about that. It's just legally impossible unless they did exactly what Motorex did (which is pile a ton of cash into getting the import approval), or Motorex is authorizing them (hard to imagine why they would).

The fact that they are LHD is even MORE odd since, as far as I know, there is only ONE company doing this (Motorex gives a "no guarantees" referal to them when people are interested).

Don't know what this other company is doing, but I'd be REAL wary of them... ESPECIALLY at $66k. A legal, LHD, R34 GTR would run you $110k.

The owner of this shop is a friend of mine, and so far he has not released anything to the public, so nothing is official. I don't want to post anything on the board at this moment to protect his interest. All I know is that he has a LHD Skyline fully converted, and he feels that $66K is a very competitive price he can charge to replicate what he has done and still earn somewhat of a profit. All I can say is that he is a well known tuner in california and specializes in 3000GTs and Porsches. He is driving distance from Motorex so I'm not surprised if this is something he is collaborating with them on (my speculation). His newest creation was featured in European car a few months ago, a non-turbo 993 Porsche Carrera that was turbocharged and modified to the point where the 996 911 GT2 felt slow. There are alot of things that I don't know either. I don't know what type of skyline he's selling, whether if its new or used, etc. It might be a R32 you know, but I don't have any specifics. If anything becomes official I'll let you all know. In any case, I'll never pay $110K for a car that costs half new in Japan.

Ryan

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 27 March 2002).]

Edo, they were driving on Tsukuba short circuit right?
I'm wondering if the Evo VII would fare as well on a different
track. Probably not.

I don't think the Evo VII could keep up on Suzuka.
Who knows... just a thought.

Originally posted by SixthGear:
I've seen a Skyline once, a white R34, on the way back from irvine to LA. The owner tuned it to about 550hp, fairly common #'s for these cars with about 10K in mods. The R35's styling direction (see sketch) looks like an improvement over the fuglier earlier models. It's something that imo could grow on people especially if the rumored AWD 450hp V8 turns out to be true, that would put it at least on par with 996TT performance and rarity. Motorex has some good info and would be one of the first places to go, but alternatives are always nice.

gtr3.jpg

Back