New NSX to target Aston Martin

TC

Experienced Member
Probably another baseless rumor:

Honda has reportedly changed its plans for the successor to the Acura NSX supercar, according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport magazine. Instead of building a strictly race-oriented sports car, the Japanese automaker now plans to go after Aston Martin with a grand tourer. The all-wheel-drive car is expected to come with a V10 engine and all-wheel-drive.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/20/honda-to-go-after-aston-with-next-nsx/

NetViper said:
Hopefully that is a baseless rumor! YUCK!

Another speculation by another worthless publication.

Aston Martin is just not Honda's style. You will never see Honda built a Lazy man's supercar targeting a Ford Product, if they want to built a Aston Martin car, all they have to do is built from RL/Legend platform, throw in a SCV6/V10, decoraded it with nice wood trim and voila, there it is.

The funny thing is, by doing that, this "imaginary" car will probably out perform Aston Martin in every way. However, if they go that rout, no one will buy it.

I love the baby Aston :)

amv8.jpg

Maybe because I am older now :p , but I would probably really prefer it to a racecar oriented car right now. Saw one yesterday in traffic, black, AWESOME! :eek:

gheba_nsx said:
I love the baby Aston :)

amv8.jpg

Maybe because I am older now :p , but I would probably really prefer it to a racecar oriented car right now. Saw one yesterday in traffic, black, AWESOME! :eek:

Agreed. But I think this latest rumer is pure BS.

A man who wants to buy a Aston Martin will never buy a Honda/Acura... I bet 100 $ on that.

A Ferrari-buyer might think pure performance, and consider many options, but a Aston Martin buyer knows exactly what he's up to ;)

Btw, I love the baby-Aston too, according to some rumours Aston Martin will release a "R" version of it later, aiming at 911 Turbo :D

I don't understand... :confused: The NSX has always been a GT and a supercar in my eyes. Too comfortable to be a "sports" car imho. If I wanted a true "sports" car from Honda, I'd take the S2000 with its noisy cabin, its uncomfortable seats, its lack of rear visibility (with top up) and harsher suspension. Don't get me wrong. I love the S2000 for what's it was built for: uncompromised performance. The NSX is so much more refined in comparison and going on a 3-4 hour trip is no big deal. In the S2000 however, I'm glad the trip part is over...

It would be no surprise to me if the new NSX targets the Aston versus say, the F430

So it will be an all-wheel-drive car AND come with all-wheel-drive?? With writing of that quality, it's gotta be official!! =S

The German's don't particularly like Honda, and they love to see the New NSX fail. BMW is always a step behind in Engine Technology (until the current generation V10). Many will argue about the IN-line six in the M3, but that engine has been around for a decade in Europe. They might be able to make a high power engine, but they can't make it reliable and cleaning burn. 911 were the benchmark in sports car but were always lack in drivability until the 996. As I indicated above, it will be easy for Honda to built a super fast/luxo RL, very little is needed to make that car go faster, and more luxurious. They don't need 3 to 4 years to make that happen.

Three main indications that New NSX will not be in Grand Touring class:

1: In a way, there was a “none British” Aston Martin, it was called Porsche 928, and didn't work. If Porsche can't make it happen, it sure will not work for Honda. Japanese high line cars don't sell well in Europe, with the exception of LS430 (Even though Toyota consider it a success, they really don't sell that many). Therefore, Honda cannot ignore the European market if this new car is going to have a market success.

2: There is nothing more prestige than beating Ferrari on the track and on the road. Honda did not create high revving DOHC VTEC engines so they can stick it into a lazy luxury cruiser. No one want a high buzzing engine on a GT class car, they want a quiet, giant motor to match the driving experience of a GT car. Think SL55/600, SLR Vision, DB9, 612, they are not high revving cars… well, maybe the 612.

3: For JDM market, Toyota is Honda's biggest nemesis. 1/3 total NSX was sold in Japan; therefore, if Toyota building a MR, 200mph car, Honda will not let them have all the fun.

CEO of Honda has already disclosed some major details, plenty to kill any speculations out there: “We are going to replace the NSX with a sports car for the new era, with a giant V10 engine.” As Uehera (NSX/S2000 chief designer) pointed out, MR is the only way to go, because it has the best handling characteristic.

When Honda planned the NSX, they had intentions to change the exotic car market by offering reliability and driveability to the mix-something that was missing in exotic cars during that time.

Maybe now they are thinking how they can improve on the luxury GT market and wish to have a flagship that can change this particular segment as well.

Personally, I would not want Honda to go down that route because the whole reason for the NSX was their racing success in Formula 1. I prefer a race oriented exotic over a luxury GT.

I think Honda should just make a spiffed up RL coupe to be the luxury GT and continue with the NSX as an MR, F1 inspired exotic. This way, they could be a player in both markets.

Saw the episode of Top Gear where they took a 911, BMW M6, and the AMV8. The consensus at the end was the 911, even the Stig's time was faster than the other two. I always thought the NSX was built to match with the best, the 911, and I beleive the F 348 or 355, whatever. But the Aston is nore of a touring car than a performance car IMO. So if the next NSX goes that route, id be worried because that doesnt seem like what the car was originally made to be.

NSXrunner said:
So if the next NSX goes that route, id be worried because that doesnt seem like what the car was originally made to be.

IMO, Honda has been floundering with the NSX for 10 years. I remember at the very first NSXPO reps from Honda talking about the next NSX - we were even given customer research survey forms to fill out. A V10 was even talked about back then. Since then its been a litany of false starts, scores of rumors and a few broken promises. Wasn't the HSC promised to be in production in 2005/06? (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031103/FREE/311030710&SearchID=7323347667908)

With the original NSX, one man knew exactly what he wanted - and the car was realized. Since then, there has been no leadership (and no vision) for the NSX, hence no progress. There is no other way to explain why the car was left with practically no investment for most of its 16 years on the market.

TC said:
IMO, Honda has been floundering with the NSX for 10 years. I remember at the very first NSXPO reps from Honda talking about the next NSX - we were even given customer research survey forms to fill out. A V10 was even talked about back then. Since then its been a litany of false starts, scores of rumors and a few broken promises. Wasn't the HSC promised to be in production in 2005/06? (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031103/FREE/311030710&SearchID=7323347667908)

With the original NSX, one man knew exactly what he wanted - and the car was realized. Since then, there has been no leadership (and no vision) for the NSX, hence no progress. There is no other way to explain why the car was left with practically no investment for most of its 16 years on the market.

Interestingly, the two rumor sources are both German, they even share the same spy photo. I guess the publications are so small they couldn't even have a computer artist to make a life like photo, instead of something look like a elementry school crayon contest. I wonder how will the German get first hand information and not the US and Japan, considering these two countries owns almost the entire market share... hmmmmm.

As for the HSC interview (see link above), CEO Fukai basically said he like the shape of the car, but guess what? He's also the one who killed it. He later mentioned that HSC was not stunning enough, and not fast enough. As you all guess it, he's the one who ordered the development of the V10. I think he knows a little more than the two German Internet sources.

Oh well, three more years before we'll find out what the car is going to be like.

Love to see these speculations, get people either all aggravated or excited.

Vancehu said:
I wonder how will the German get first hand information and not the US and Japan,

Wasn't it a Dutch or German newspaper that first reported that NSX production would end in 2005 - something that Honda confirmed a month or two later? So the European motor press might have decent sources. The US motor press has been reporting of a new NSX (as has Japanese magazines) for many years now - which have proved wrong. With all of these stories and rumors, someone is bound to be right. Maybe we should start a pool - sorta like a baby pool. Guess the new car's price, weight and birthdate.

Last edited:
There should be two new Acura models...

The import, premium luxury-sport GT-coupe market segment has developed rather nicely...

~100k
- Mercedes Benz CL
- BMW M6
- Porsche 911 Carrera S
- Jaguar XK-R
- Aston Martin V8_Vantage
- Maserati coupe
- Ferrari Dino (possibly)

If Honda/Acura can offer a RL-based GT-coupe w/ a 'tweaked' 3.5L & SH, loaded w/ usual Acura-fare, aluminum-body/components, glass-roof, maybe even hybrid, etc'... priced at $55k-$65k, I think it'd rock the boat and easily grab a share of the aforementioned market-segment.

Just like:

* Current gen. TL being interesting & successful alternative to the 3-series...
* LS400/LS430 as a worthy alternative to the S-class...
* NSX as a smart alternative to a Ferrari...
* Landcruiser/LX450-470 as a capable alternative to the Range Rover...

In each of the situations above, the Japanese model was priced atleast 1/3 less than the targetted model and also less powerful or smaller engine.

Last edited:
Back