New NSX special paint

Video

Automakers make halo cars to drum up excitement and show off what it can do, but there's more to it than that. The advanced platform allows a company's engineers to experiment with all sorts of technologies. And in the case of the upcoming new Acura NSX, that includes new paint processes.

Speaking with Autoline in this video interview, Honda's North American Senior VP Jon Minto talked about an innovative zirconium e-coat which it's applying to the new NSX. Unlike some experimental paints developed for Formula 1, however, this coating is not designed to minimize drag or enhance cooling: it's designed to be more environmentally friendly.

It's 1 of a few measures which Honda is implementing on the NSX before expanding it to more accessible models, along with another process that uses fewer coats to reduce energy consumption by 40%. Watch the interview with former Autoblog columnist John McElroy right here.

We can't be against virtue but ...

the problem is not about the COLOUR, but the POWOUR ...

They should not spend too much energy and ressources on that. It is surely a nice touch but in fact a simple nice little extra that shouldn't interfere with the basic program of this new supercar ...

And I would be more enthousiast if it was a drag reducing paint; more in touch with the New Sportscar Experimental philosophy ...

Last edited:
I don't why nothing has been mentioned yet about the technology borrowed from their racing programs. Why bother being in them and build a super car not using their racing technology. Maybe the paint is part of their myearthdream from F1 days or maybe its just process they came up with to save on painting all the cars they make.

Just one more reason why I am not looking forward to this being Honda's next elite car. They aren't pushing the limits of what they can do with Earth Dreams constantly looking over their shoulder. This is supposed to rival the 458, but I don't see this beating this generation's version of the 458 let alone the next that will be out by the time this thing arrives. *shakes my head*

Back