New NSX Resale/Residual Values

RYU

Legendary Member
Tech Expert
Care to ponder what potential resale would be, say after 1, 2, or even 3yrs of ownership? Have dealers published any residual values... better yet.. have any dealers offered a lease plan for the new NSX? On a side note, the one thing I don't like about buying an expensive Acura is their lack of ability or interest to shop the loan among other banks. Most "supercar" dealerships give you the option to structure the loan much more creatively. That's assuming the manufacturers themselves don't artificially prop up the residual values, but that's another thread.

Using a Mclaren as an example:

The 12C sold for roughly $210k depending on options which can skyrocket. You can buy a similarly equipped car 2-3yrs old for $150-160k give or take. 24% depreciation in 2-3yrs roughly? Obviously, not including other charges like taxes, fees, interest etc.

The 650S sells for roughly $270k, again depending on options which can balloon. You can buy a 2015 for roughly $210k and less if you really shop around. 22% depreciation in the first year alone roughly.

I'm asking because it would be interesting to know who here may be looking for short term ownership (flipper, lease, etc) or would sell it outright if the NSX did not meet expectations.

There is a subset of "owners" who don't have any real equity in the deal but factor it in their monthly expenses. Hope to hear from you guys too.

My value crystal ball only works in real estate.

I believe the most recent Acura playbook mentioned that lease residuals have been established.

Acura will have dedicated finance folks for the car (good move).

Prior to placing my order, I discussed access to financing with my salesman and he said they work with all the major banks to shop for the best deal. At that point it wasn't externally communicated that Acura would have something too.

I plan finance and to put 20% down plus pay for tax (a low end civic worth) and registration out of pocket.

The 12C example is a worst case model as it was their first production car since the F1, they built too many for the market and had quality issues. You also pointed out an important factor, expensive options on the cars that do not translate to a meaningfully higher resale value.

Other factors to consider:

Will MSRP be increased to appease the bean counters
What percentage of dealers will be foisting market adjustments, how large and how long will that last
Will demand for new builds decrease due to other brand offerings
Will Acura shift to a hybrid model where some cars are not custom ordered (destined for normal inventory)
Will the delay/limited availability ex. US lead to US cars being shipped to other markets (could increase resale prices)

Last edited:
It all depends on the no. of 'standard' cars they sell in the first years and if you can add the new features of the coming evolutions (Type S, Type R) to an early car by the factory/dealer.

I can only speak for Europe: the McLarens are less than half of their original price after 3 or 4 years and I guess that the NSX won't be an exception here.

The 12C might not be a good example which is why I also included the 650S which is arguably a better car in all respects compared to a 12C. Though, perhaps from a reliability standpoint it's 'bad' to 'below average'. YMMV. The numbers on resale for 650S seems to suggest that the big 20%+ hit occurs in the 1st year. Not sure what it looks like your run of the mill 458 or Huracan. I know the 675LT is trading above MRSP but I can't compare those to an NSX.

I think a lot will depend on Honda sticking to the "made to order" policy.
If there is adequate demand globally to maintain reasonable production numbers and Honda can direct production to markets where demand is strong prices may remain fairly flat.
Historically Japanese based companies have offered good value on initial offerings then gradually raised prices.
I think Nissan was successful on the GTR with this approach.
If Honda plans to use this pricing model then an increasing MSRP over time may help keep residual values up.

I'm sure we will see a few listed in the dupont registry for 280k this fall:cool:

I think a lot will depend on Honda sticking to the "made to order" policy.If there is adequate demand globally to maintain reasonable production numbers and Honda can direct production to markets where demand is strong prices may remain fairly flat.Historically Japanese based companies have offered good value on initial offerings then gradually raised prices.I think Nissan was successful on the GTR with this approach.If Honda plans to use this pricing model then an increasing MSRP over time may help keep residual values up.
I was thinking of the GTR effect as well. Good point. However, for the BRZ/FRS/GT86 they reduced prices the following years. Different tier obviously..

In general, cars are consumption goods and not investments. My rule: never buy a new car you don't plan on keeping until (at least) the next generation of that car comes out (6-7 years). Assume it will depreciate 60-70% over those 6-7 years and you'll be fine. There's a lot of volatility in the early years, and sometimes you get lucky and end up owning a well-loved car that holds it value. But's it's hard to predict that ahead of time.

If you are optimizing total cost of ownership, buy one of the first cars coming off of three-year leases and sell it in two years (before next generation is readily available). This doesn't work in states (like CA) where you don't get sale tax credit for trade-ins. But in other places, this is the best way to own luxury cars. Unless you are impatient and have a juvenile need to have the new-new thing.

so do you have the lease parameters?

Back