New NSX Owner!

I've made a few prior posts, but I figured I would go ahead and make my newbie post.
smile.gif

I picked up my 1992 White/black NSX with 90k miles on it at the Fast and Furious 2 auction last Saturday. I have ALWAYS loved the NSX, but I had two reasons for not buying.

#1 price. I'm poor.
smile.gif

#2 I always thought they were underpowered.

My last vehicle was a Lexus SC300 that I managed to turbocharge and get over 600hp, so I determined that ANYTHING can be fast. #2 went out the window. As soon as I heard the prices the NSX's at auction were going for, #1 went out the window. So now I am a proud owner.
smile.gif

The car was not in the best of shape. Paint is not that good, it has a (wingswest?) bodykit on it that was unpainted yet riveted on, non-matching stock wheels, and had some TERRIBLE bondo on the top where they used to have an air scoop. Interior was basically perfect. Started and ran like a charm even though I could tell it had been sitting for a while. Oil was clean, no smoke at all when starting.

It came with: Sparco racing seats, 4-point harnesses, RM intake, some aftermarket headers (which I STILL cannot figure out the brand), custom exhaust, bodykit, custom gauges.

Wouldn't shift well. Couldn't get it into reverse. The auctioneer said they *just* put a new clutch in the week before, so I assumed they installed/adjusted wrong. Lucked out on that one. I initialized the clutch and that resolved all the problems.

Passenger window doesn't work. At first I figure it's the "usual" bad window assembly. Take off the door panel. No window motor, at ALL. They pulled it out!!

Next, the stereo. The volume knob is loose, so it CRACKLES A LOT! No worries, I usually rip the factory stereo RIGHT out and throw in a TV/DVD/XM Radio. I just need to take the time to make a good console mount for it.

Runs perfect, I have driven it almost 1k miles already, with no hiccups. I have sanded and repainted the roof black where the bondo was. Sanded and painted the kit...

I actually painted it (kit) with black primer to prepare it for a coat of white to match the car. As soon as I saw the kit in black...I knew I had to keep it that way. It just looked "mean" to me.
smile.gif
So I painted the kit the same black as the roof.

Next a friend of mine just tossed his RSX (because it had 17k miles and was on the THIRD engine rebuild) and he had a set of JDM Type-R wheels in 17x8, gunmetal type color. Held them up to the car and they had to go on. 245/45/17 on the back and 215/40/17 front.

Replacing the 3-tier wing that came on it with a carbon fiber NSX Type-R style wing. It should be here in the next week or so. I love eBay.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. The car cost me $17,250. Do you think it was a good deal or no? Opinions?

SR

edit: any responses on the kit being black? Like it/hate it?

nsx3.jpg

nsx2.jpg

------------------
________________ www.NSXTuner.com

[This message has been edited by CmputerWiz (edited 19 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by CmputerWiz (edited 19 January 2003).]

Originally posted by CmputerWiz:
The car cost me $17,250. Do you think it was a good deal or no? Opinions?

If you're happy with it, then it was a good deal.

Originally posted by CmputerWiz:
edit: any responses on the kit being black? Like it/hate it?

I think it would look better if it were all white, except for the roof.

Given the descriptions you've posted, it seems that you got a fair price for the car. Obviously it needs to be worked on, but you seem to have a good working knowledge of the mods that need to be done and how to do it, given your experience with your previous cars. All in all, I assume you're expected to spend between $5K - $10K (not immediately given your financial condition, but over time) to spruce the car up and get it up to spec.

While the outside mods and fixes are relatively discernable, it is more difficult to determine the condition of the engine. Although you note that the car runs well in the 1K miles that you've run it, it would be prudent to get the car checked out a your local Acura dealer -- especially somebody who is knowledegabe about NSX's. You should ask him to check the engine thoroughly, as well as ensure that the car has had no body panels replaced and no frame/chassis damage. Also remember that NSX is due for a check-up at 90K miles, so you'd want to get that done as well.

I do agree with nsxtasy that a black roof/all white car might look slightly more appealing. Personally, I'd change the color and style of the rims as well; especially the color, as the wheels get lost in all that black at the bottom of the car.

But most importantly...welcome to the owner's club. You won't regret taking the plunge. The car is a dream machine.

Regards.

I like your car. It is has a different taste (Japanese battle style look). I would buy the JDM Honda NSX taillights and call it well done.

just fix the window. and do the 90k mile check.

BTW: what is the fast and furious 2 auction? so I guess your nsx was used in the movie?

ComputerWiz,

Sounds to me like a very nice deal. And... you have a new clutch, THAT WORKS NOW!!!!!

You should do a complete assessment of the car timing belt/90K service, brakes, fluids, coolant, tires. See where the car is at and make a plan. Then start putting in a lot of overtime for Driver's Ed and MODS
smile.gif

Congrats!!

LarryB

Sounds like a great deal, get the timming belt done if it has not been. I also have a white black nsx. If i were you I would paint the kit and the wheels white, but this is for a classy bad ass type r look, if you want the racer dont care what it looks like then more power to ya. Oh and welcome to nsxprime! If you paint the parts white someday please post I would love to see it.

Paint the kit white, keep the wheels black, paint the front bumper center bar black!
I think you got a fair deal, good luck with it.

Back