New NSX owner w/ Clutch questions

I recently purchase a very well kept 1991 NSX with ~98K miles. I added this beauty to my existing collection which includes a stock 2005 S2000 (14K miles). I plan to keep both vehicles for I dearly enjoy driving both, but the NSX is very close to my heart. There are a number of differences and similarities with the two vehicles.

The differences is where I have a few questions. Prior to purchasing this NSX, I had driven a few other specimens that had really firm, coarse clutches with vague, rough shifters. This NSX has a silky smooth shifter that feels quite good. However, the clutch is quite firm when compared to my stock S2000. The prior owner not only took meticulous care of the vehicle, he provided extensive documentation of the maintenance on the NSX. It appears that the stock clutch was replaced with a Stage II Comptech clutch. This is the only component on the vehicle that is not stock. The clutch pedal heaviness creates a bit of a dilemma for me because prior to purchasing the NSX, my wife agreed to allow me to purchase the car on the condition that she could drive it on occassion (rare occassion that is ;) Currently, she finds the clutch pedal to be too heavy. She has been very kind and suportive; consquently, I'd like to keep up my end of the bargain. Thus, I have a few questions:

1) This NSX's clutch feels far heavier than my S2000. Is that to be expected with the Comptech Stage II clutch? Is there anything I can do to reduce/improve the heaviness?

2) How does a stock (NA1) clutch feel compared to a stock (AP2) S2000 clutch?

3) The prior NSX's that I passed on (NA1's) didn't feel any faster or stronger than my S2000. However, this NSX feels notably stronger and pulls quite well compared to my S2000. Is this difference due to proper maintenance, the clutch, or both?

4) Is there any difference in longevity between the stock dual disc clutch and the stage II Comptech clutch?

Thanks

let her drive it on her birthday. once a year, she can deal with the clutch peddle feel.

s2k and nsx clutch should be about the same.... i have both.

if its an aftermarket clutch, usually the pressure plate exert more force, thus more peddle pressure.

if this nsx feels stronger, then buy this nsx.

clutch life depends on how you drive the car.

you can burn a brand new clutch in 1 mile or baby an old one to 100k.

also clutch life depends on if you drive city or highway. more stop and go. less clutch life.

if previous owner took good care of the car, i dont see any reason to question the condition of this vehicle.

good luck with your purchase.

keep both cars.

Last edited:
If you care about her and your car is stock engine wise and plan no FI, then get a stock clutch put into her.
The wife can drive that baby all day long then.
If you want to step the clutch up just a bit and still have the same easy pressure, then get a reinforced rebuilt stock clutch done these days by Sos.
That is what I have now with my 8lbs boost.
Trev
Should be around 2 bills or so.
That comptech II has a real strong pressure plate like an RPS, but then again, that doesn't matter cause you know what it feels like.

I have the same Comptech clutch on my car. It is much firmier than the stock clutch. It is firmer than the RPS clutch as well.

Check out the NSX Clutch comparision on the SOS website. It doesn't list the Comptech Clutch, but you can see how OEM compares to some of the other popular clutches:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/dpp/clutch_set_comparison/

Since your wife is only going to drive it once awhile, I wouldn't spend the extra money to swap out your clutch. Buy new CF parts instead.:biggrin: I wife drives my NSX when I've had to much to drink, and manages to get it home. She only weighs 100 lbs.

The Comptech I clutch is the Rps clutch essentially.
Not sure what pressure your Comptech II brings to the table, most likely stiffer.
Trev
If you love her, you will change out the clutch.
If you love your knee and worn out like me from downhill skiing, You'll change out the clutch as well to stock.

Nice catch Hrant, I was thinking about this myself in the summer.
Trev

I "USED" to have both, OEM clutch is pretty much the same ... the shifting on the S2k was shorter more precise .. while test driving NSX's i noticed the two NA1's I drove were a "bit" faster than my 208 whp S2k ... a was a bit disappointed although the experience of driving an NSX is above the S2k ... then all changed when i drove my 97, 55K miles and just serviced and babied like crazy by original owner, this NA2 feels much much stronger than my S2k was ...
got the 97 ..
then sold my S200 and I CRIED i swear when i saw my S go ..
OScar

I recommend that you send the car back down to Texas where it belongs! That poor car won't know what to do with -18 degree temperatures!

--Jeremy

I appreciate all your comments. Once it thaws here in MN, I think I'll drive it around some more and see how I acclimate to the clutch. However, because my wife enjoys the feel of the clutch on the S, I may have to replace the clutch on my NSX with an OEM setup to ensure domestic harmony.

Thats it buddy, treat the wife!!!
You dont want to end up looking beat up!
Trev

I've owned 3 S2k's, and currently own 2 NSXs. I've driven Comptech I, Comptech II, Exedy, OS Gieken, stock 5-speed and stock 6-speed NSX clutches.

Just buy a stock NSX clutch. For a stock engine, it is CLEARLY the best choice.

IMO, the NSX stock clutch has lighter pedal feel than the stock S2k clutch with somewhat easier, less abrupt engagement. The Comptech II has one of the heaviest clutch engagements.

WS

Thanks NSX-Ray, I appreciate your insight and experience. I believe that I'm leaning even more to returning the setup to OEM.

Back