New NSX owner (Norcal)

Yesterday I bought one of my dream cars, I really wasn't in the market but I have always wanted and planned on buying a NSX in the future.
Like a lot of car guys, I search sites like forums, craiglists, autotrader etc. for cars that I admire and aspire to own one day. As luck would have it, one of my favorite NSX color combinations was posted 20 miles from my house, the description piqued my interest and I quickly sent the seller an email.

IMG_4998.jpg

When I saw the car, I was surprised how clean it was, especially for something 20 years old. The body had no dents, the engine was spotless and the interior looked free from wear. The current owner had the car for two years but only managed to put 600 miles on it which was verified by both a carfax and autocheck report. He used the car to make weekend trips to Starbucks and I could tell he genuinely cared for and would miss this car - always a good sign from a seller.

After a quick test drive (with tired arms, it was my first time driving a car without power steering) I made an offer which was accepted. I took delivery a day or two later due to an issue with smog, but the seller was gracious enough to have new spark plugs installed while the mechanic diagnosed the issue. Anxious to take delivery, I re-read through the entire insideline long term NSX test and the wiki on nsxprime.

IMG_5003.jpg

I took a chance since the transmission was within the dreaded "snap-ring" range but figured that if it hasn't happened by now and since first and second gear felt good on deceleration I'd still buy it. After taking delivery, I went through the previous service records and was relieved to find out that the transmission was already repaired by a previous owner..score!

During the life of the car both window regulators were replaced as well as repair made on the Bose amp. I'm hoping these repairs will last and relieve me of the minor idiosyncrasies NSX ownership comes with.

IMG_4997.jpg

I plan on keeping this NSX for the long term and now own two cars that I plan on never selling (the other is our IS-F).

As far as mods go - I like to keep most of my cars stock and will be looking for some period correct '91-'93 wheels and selling the SSR Integrals at a later date. I'm deciding if I should keep that aftermarket coolant tank since the stock one has a tendency to leak but for sure will swap the red chassis bar for a stock black one.

This is the first NSX I considered buying and I'm happy everything worked out in the end.

IMG_5009.jpg

I'm grateful to have a wife who appreciates cars as much as I do and allows us to fill our garage with our automotive dreams and I look forward to being apart of the nsxprime community and reading through all the threads on this great resource.

Jeff

Specs on the NSX:
1992 Sebring Silver 90k miles.

Last edited:
Congrats on the car. Looks good. Where in Norcal are you? Maybe you can join us at the next monthly meet on 1/5.

Congratulations in buying your dream car... Have fun wiping the smiles off your face every time you drive it. I'm originally from Sunnyvale so I'm curious too, Where in Nor-Cal are you? (no address but what city)

BTW: Just paint the bar. I painted my wiper arms the day after I bought mine because the black didn't look black enough. :rolleyes:

Welcome Jeff! You and I have alot in common! I used to have IS250 and S2000 before my NSX. Hope to see you around the Bay Area, would love to see Sebring Silver up close.

Thanks for the compliments - I feel really fortunate to have found this one, it was too clean to pass up.
And for those wondering, I'm located on the Peninsula (Redwood Shores).

Coconut - nice combo!

Congrats, on nsx ownership. I was wondering when someone would snatch that car up, saw it on craiglist few days ago. Glad a prime member got it, and nice that the snap ring is fix.
Happy motoring

Hope to see this car in person on 1/5!

Can I assume from your handle that you're connected to the aviation industry somehow - possibly even to the operation or maintenance of my favorite narrowbody airliner?

The NSX and the 757 both, living proof that they don't make 'em like they used to...

Congrats! What's the specs on the wheels? 17/18 and is it lowered?

btw - i notice a good amount of nsx's have these wheels. (mine included)

Very nice writeup on your purchase -- looks like an exceptionally clean 92! Nicely done, and congrats! Jay

Jeff, congratulations! What a great looking NSX. I was in the same boat with the snap ring question on my 1992. I was thumbing through paperwork on the day that I picked the car up (about a year ago exactly now) that the corrective action had already been taken. Score for sure. Keep the pics coming and enjoy!

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Bngl3rt - My favorite color for the NSX is actually Midnight Pearl so I'm jealous of yours. My handle is actually from a SN I've had forever and unfortunately not connected to the aviation industry.
Boosted - I did a quick check and the specs are 17x8 +38 and 18x9 +45. I like your sig - I still own a EG hatch which is one of my favorite cars.
Gelat0 - I believe I spoke with you at the Monterey Cars and Coffee meet. You told my wife and I that your car might have been owned by Ellison.

Jeff, Congratulations and welcome to Ownership. Great write-up and pictures-the NSX looks like it is in awesome condition. I'm glad to see the NSX stayed in California. I hope the rain stops in Nor Cal soon for you to enjoy driving the NSX. Also great choice in color ;)
Happy Motoring!

sup Jeff!.. congrats on the new car! your bro sent me pics of the new whip. looks awesome!

Hey Darryl, thanks! It was crazy running into you that morning, my brother said he drove your NSX so he didn't need to drive mine =).

Jeff, beautiful car, congrats and welcome.

There is a lot to be said for keeping your car stock. My X came with aftermarket wheels that I planned to replace with the OEM alloys that were included in the sale. Funny thing, the aftermarket 17/18 combo grew on me and when I replaced my tires this year I consider going back to the OEM for almost 30 seconds.

The SSR's look great and you may want to consider living with them. They could grow on you.

These are truly special cars and I wish you all the best,

Matt

Thanks Matt - I'll keep it in mind.
I noticed your in Beaverton, I have family that lives close by in Tualatin.

Jeff

Back