new nsx owner, have many questions!

I am an A&P /I.A., I presently own and operate 4 (four) 86/87 Honda Preludes, 2 with over 300,000 mi., 2 with more than 200,000. I have owned 1 since it was new, it won't go away and I just keep adding to the collection. I keep them at different locations so when I get there I have something to drive so I don't have to weasel a crew car. I know every nut, bolt, screw, belt, shim, seal, bearing and washer by heart. Enough about my ability, it's all a moot point as now I have finally gotten a 1992 NSX, white with 21,000 mi. It's a new car.

I already have the factory maintenance manuals, of course, but you just can't replace experience, and as I have been reading this site fore about 2 months when I found this car, there alot of people out there with that experience and I hope I canget some of you to share it with me and vice-versa.

Why do the front tyres wear so quickly?, as I was told by the NSX tech at the Acura dealership I introduced myself to.

With all of you owners out there,there must be a resource for parts from newer cars that have been taken off to facilitate performance or owner preferance.

I would like to put stock wheels from a 96' or newer car on mine , where can I get my hands on some without selling my first born?

My car has a cassette deck, I would like to come uo with a factory CD player without going to the trunk to change disc packs.

I have changed more timing belts than I can count. I checked the labour rate and the 10 hours he said I would be charged, plus parts, when I came to I decided to ask someone for tips here. Is as easy as I am used to with the Preludes? It looks intimidating just because I am short and I can barely see the cover, let alone remove it.

I am only wanting to change it because of the age of the car and I don't want to take a chance of it being dry rotted, weak and it breaking and costing me an engine.

Enough for now, I havn't typed this much in 10 yrs, and I am sure I won't
again. I have many more questions, for later. :wink:

Try the search.... it will answer all your questions:wink:

There are two searches, one on the top short red bar (under forums) and the other is on the long red bar with a dropdown arrow next to it.
I mention this because they are completely different.

Took me a while to figure this out…duh.

nigel said:
I would like to put stock wheels from a 96' or newer car on mine , where can I get my hands on some without selling my first born?

My car has a cassette deck, I would like to come uo with a factory CD player without going to the trunk to change disc packs.

For the wheels, keep an eye out on ebay or check the parts forsale section on prime often. As for the bose deck, your only "factory" option is going to the trunk for your cd's unless you decide to go aftermarket and put a cd player up front.

The Timing Belt replacement is no fun at all!..not much room to work with and 4 cams to keep timed properly....Acura dealers don't let just any of their techs do this job..only techs that have been trained by Acura/other techs for this procedure...good luck...JZ

comquat1 said:
What's a "A&P /I.A."?

Airframe and powerplant (mechanic), the IA is for inspection authorization... which basically means they can sign off on required FAA work.

nigel said:
In the Nsxprime's for sale section, depending on your luck, $500~$1100 per set, it might even come with tires. I got my wheels and pick it up locally thanks to Nsxprime's wonderful for sale section.

nigel said:
Why do the front tyres wear so quickly?, as I was told by the NSX tech at the Acura dealership I introduced myself to.
Perhaps you misunderstood him. The front tires last 2-3 times as long as the rear tires.

Welcome! I just purchased a 1993 NSX Red/White 10 days ago. The rear tires are lucky to get 10K on them. That is what I heard. I may be selling the OEM wheels on my NSX. They are OEM 95 or 96's. 16's on the front and 17's on the back.

Tony

5 ACES said:
The rear tires are lucky to get 10K on them. That is what I heard.
You may not even get that. If you use the supersticky OEM tires and you use the original, aggressive alignment specs instead of the revised specs, you might not even get half of that. But oh, how they stick and feel sooooooo good! ;)

I managed just under 20K miles on my last rear set of yokohama es100's and i currently have 40K on the front (yokohama es100 as well). Plenty of tread still left on the front.

nigel said:
The OEM tires have soft rubber, and the factory front alignment specs have a fair amount of toe-out. To get longer tire life, I'm using other tires and I'm using about half of the recommended front toe-out (and zero camber). I'm satisfied with the performance, but those who track the car or otherwise want the last degree of performance might not be.

With all of you owners out there,there must be a resource for parts from newer cars that have been taken off to facilitate performance or owner preferance.

Try the parts for sale forum here on nsxprime. Also, the 1994 and 1995 model years had the same size wheels as 1996-2001.

Consider getting an Alpine CHA-S634 changer instead of the factory one. It plays MP3-encoded audio on CDROMs in addition to regular CD audio. Instructions for how to install (you need a couple adapter cables) are available here.

I have changed more timing belts than I can count. I checked the labour rate and the 10 hours he said I would be charged, plus parts, when I came to I decided to ask someone for tips here.
A detailed write-up (with pics) of the timing belt job is available here. More info is available in various threads here on Prime; search for diy timing belt . Some shops take the engine out of the car to do the timing belt replacement.

I am only wanting to change it because of the age of the car and I don't want to take a chance of it being dry rotted, weak and it breaking and costing me an engine.
Yup. The overwhelming consensus here is to change it if it's that old.

Scin said:
Airframe and powerplant (mechanic), the IA is for inspection authorization... which basically means they can sign off on required FAA work.

No pun intended, but are you sure you are familiar with the priviledges and limitations of your A/P license?

All A&Ps can perform a sign-off on work they perform on an aircraft. Additionally, the Inspection Authorization (IA) designation allows you to sign-off on ANNUAL inspections.

Back