• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New nsx owner and need a shop to work on my car

Hi I'm a new owner of nsx in chicago. just brought a nsx but the clutch need to replace due to the car is from San Francisco with alot up hill driving. The car only has 24000 but the clutch is pretty much Worn out. I have to release very high in order to engage the gear. Now I'm thinking in between getting a oem clutch kit or SOS 275 clutch kit. I'm just use for daily street drive only non track and not planning a heavy hp mod on the car. Now I need a reliable shop that could do a clutch replacement for a reasonable price. Any recommendation? Ps how much do they charge for a clutch replacement job in general anyways?

I personally go to Project X in Schaumburg IL, Just had my valve cover gaskets replaced and oil pan gasket replaced this past Friday. I believe they replaced member Khanvict's clutch recently.

Phone: 224-653-8851
Thank you for the info synth19. I have been admired ur nsx for very long time from the meets back in few years

I believe they replaced member Khanvict's clutch recently.

Just a note on this: Project X did Khanvict's timing belt and water pump. Shortly after, his engine blew up and he sold his car to me at a loss. Now, I'm not saying that Project X is responsible. What bothers me is that Khanvict supposedly tried contacting Project X following the incident and no one would respond to his attempts.

This is all 2nd hand info and I'm just the guy on the other end so take this info with a grain of salt. I by no means want to slander a local business when I personally have never done business with them. At the same time, I have the receipts for the job, and a deeply discounted NSX with a blown motor with very few miles taking place in between. Draw your own conclusions.

congratulations on another nsx Josh!

Just a note on this: Project X did Khanvict's timing belt and water pump. Shortly after, his engine blew up and he sold his car to me at a loss. Now, I'm not saying that Project X is responsible. What bothers me is that Khanvict supposedly tried contacting Project X following the incident and no one would respond to his attempts.

This is all 2nd hand info and I'm just the guy on the other end so take this info with a grain of salt. I by no means want to slander a local business when I personally have never done business with them. At the same time, I have the receipts for the job, and a deeply discounted NSX with a blown motor with very few miles taking place in between. Draw your own conclusions.

lol! Essentially you have slandered a local business by irresponsibly speculating without knowing the facts of the matter. The car wasn't in the best condition when it was first purchased, and was for sale for a long time IIRC. I've been working with Project X for 6-7 years, never had an issue with their work.

Like I said, I'm just telling the "story" that he told me. Maybe he red lined the car without motor oil in it. Maybe the whole story (other than the receipt for work performed) is a fabrication. I thought I had clearly stated my disclaimer at the outset, prior to behaving so "irresponsibly".

Like I said, I'm just telling the "story" that he told me. Maybe he red lined the car without motor oil in it. Maybe the whole story (other than the receipt for work performed) is a fabrication. I thought I had clearly stated my disclaimer at the outset, prior to behaving so "irresponsibly".

Disclaimer or not, you still make the shop look bad without really knowing their perspective or the facts. I've asked them to respond to this thread.

Hi I'm a new owner of nsx in chicago. just brought a nsx but the clutch need to replace due to the car is from San Francisco with alot up hill driving. The car only has 24000 but the clutch is pretty much Worn out. I have to release very high in order to engage the gear. Now I'm thinking in between getting a oem clutch kit or SOS 275 clutch kit. I'm just use for daily street drive only non track and not planning a heavy hp mod on the car. Now I need a reliable shop that could do a clutch replacement for a reasonable price. Any recommendation? Ps how much do they charge for a clutch replacement job in general anyways?

If you think the quotes you get are too high (they will all be expensive) I have a colleague that charges 50 an hour for labor and does basically any car maintenance at his house. He built up his 800 HP grand national himself and he seems to know everything. I take my NSX to him often for anything I can't do myself. If its a big job you can get an even better price. If you have a free weekend you can even help him out, learn a lot and get a better price. If you'd like his info PM me.

Thanks for making me aware of this thread, synth19.

I'm the co-owner of Project X in Schaumburg, for the record.

In response to the post saying that we had a customer whom we worked on their car and a few weeks later the motor blew, and then he was unable to contact us, WE HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF THIS EVENT. We received no emails from the client. If he called and we were unable to answer the phone, then he did not leave a message with us. If we do not get a message, we do not know that a customer needs us to contact them.

Feel free to google Project X Customs. You'll see that we have a fantastic reputation. Our business thrives on repeat customers, not cycling through new customers as fast as we can. We treat our customers the way we want to be treated ourselves. If we had heard that there was a serious issue like this so soon after we serviced a vehicle, we would have made sure to get to the bottom of it and take care of our customer if we were at fault.

I find it hard to believe anyone would just walk away from a blown motor in their NSX if they truly believed that a shop was the reason it happened. You'd think that kind of damage would at least warrant a face to face conversation if you could not reach someone on the phone or via email.

Eli, the other owner, is an ASE certified Master Mechanic, and we have been working for local NSX owners for years. We quite enjoy working on these cars and hope to continue servicing the NSX community in the years to come.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call email, or PM. I'm sure after talking to either of us that you will be confident in our services and reputation.

Larry Kenney-owner
Eli Baldwin-Owner-Master Mechanic
Project X Customs
224-653-8851
[email protected]

I went to the shop 3 weeks ago and the owner elite took care of me. He exam the clutch and he told me to clutch have plenty of life left. he help me adjust the rod to engage better. The clutch drive like new afterward. I'm very happy with the results. he was very honest and he give me a lot of knowledge on the car. I highly recommend the shop and I'll definitely go back in the future for more work on my car.

Can't go wrong with Project X. They do a lot of high dollar machines especially the new GTR project for one of their customers.

Back