New NSX Keys?

Just purchased my first NSX (91) and owner only had one key so I went to the local Acura dealer for a replacement key. They didn't have the titanium looking one and I got this metal plastic one that looks just like the titanium one. Is this a new key style? It was $55.
16234DSC_1368.jpg

Have only seen those plastic key's on NSX's never seen those titanium looking one's (the NSX's where 3 91-92)
Those NSX where euro models!
So on wich model year did they get those titanium style ones they look great.

I got 2 of those from my local acura dealer, thinking they were going to be expensive. If my memory serves me, I don't believe they were much more expensive than if I were to buy any other car key...I think maybe they charged you a little too much.

Hi

Here are two of the keys that I got with my 91 NSX and the Unobtanium which I now use.

6711IMG_3113-med.JPG

Regards

Be tjhankful it was just $35.00 which was the same as the key on my 2000 GSR. It has a chip in it for the security system.

Some keys for upscale cars cost upward of $300.00 each. Ouch!

Packard said:
Be tjhankful it was just $35.00 which was the same as the key on my 2000 GSR. It has a chip in it for the security system.
He said it was $55, not $35.

The NSX has the immobilizer system, with the chip embedded in the key, beginning in the '97 model year. The key looks different (thicker head).

nsxtasy said:
He said it was $55, not $35.

The NSX has the immobilizer system, with the chip embedded in the key, beginning in the '97 model year. The key looks different (thicker head).

I misread. BTW, "NSX" is not a word.

Packard said:
I misread. BTW, "NSX" is not a word.

No it is a obsession. A way of life and a money sucking hobby. And ofcourse a lot of fun.

Regards

martin said:
Hi

Here are two of the keys that I got with my 91 NSX and the Unobtanium which I now use.

6711IMG_3113-med.JPG

Regards
Is the key on the right also an NSX key? It is different from the middle OEM one. And I mean not only the head.

Gerard van Santen said:
Is the key on the right also an NSX key? It is different from the middle OEM one. And I mean not only the head.

Hi

The one in the middle and the one on the right I got from Gheba when I bought the car. The one on the left I bought from South Coast Acura.

The picture was taken before I got the golden one cut. I am pretty sure they all work on all locks. Hmm well maybe the one on the right only works on the locks and not to start it. Can't remember.

Regards

Gerard van Santen said:
The key on the right is the blank key that is used for all Honda cars without the immobilizer chip. All Honda/Acura car keys are interchangeable, aside from the immobilizer chip. You can walk into any Honda car dealer - I'm talking about here in North America, where Honda dealers sell new Honda cars, and Acura dealers sell new Acura cars - and buy a blank Honda car key that looks like the one on the right, and have them cut it to match the key of a '91-96 NSX, and it will work.

If you guys have your oem manuals there's a section that tells you exactly what keys came with the car :biggrin:

My 91 came with the titanium key, two main keys and a valet key. The valet keyhead is small and has Acura printed on it. All the keys have a number stamped into them.

My owners manual is in the car.

Some used car dealers and sales people are really nice. I bought a used BMW from Auto West in Vancouver and I asked for the second master key. The salesman said he would look for it and if the dealership wouldn't buy me a new one he would pay for it and send it to me in the mail. I got it 4 weeks later and then I found out it retailed for 200 dollars.

Back