New Mitsubishi eclispe

A new 3.8-liter V-6 engine for the Eclipse produces 260 hp and 260 pounds-feet of torque compared with the current 3.0-liter V6, which makes 210 hp and peak torque of 205 lb-ft. A five-speed automatic transmission replaces the current four-speed automatic.

You can get a 6-speed also.

Wow... Pretty impressive for an eclipse! That thing could put a hurting on a boxster!

Full story here:
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100912

Joel said:
I don't get it. Mitsu's automotive dept. is in the brink of a downward spiral (if not already) into bankruptcy and they still want to make cars? :confused:

Wasn't Nissan in a similar position a while back? They turned out well..

glad to see Mitsu got their heads on straight and went back to "cooler" styling..
the current Eclipse looks like a mutant ninja turtle...

i never really was a fan of mitsu but i might try it again if the drawing matches the final product..

new model snoops...!

hmmm... Are there any plans for Mitsubishi motors to come out w/ a high-end/mass-produced sports car (ie/ 3000GT) or "halo car"? I'm rather curious as their Japanese counterparts (Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and possibly Honda/HSC) have projects in the pipeline for the U.S. market. Last time the JPN makes had a concerted release of enthusiasist oriented sports cars (300ZX, RX-7, SupraTT), Mitsu' was in the mix w/ the 3000GT.

:)

Honda F1 Racing said:
mitsubishi is in so much financial hot water now I think they should just concentrate on getting back on their feet with their run of the mill econoboxes rather than bring over special market cars like the EVO MR and building monster Eclipses, haha.
That usually works, but a company needs a marquee car to get their image out there. They make Nsx's and RX8's and the like not because they're hoping to make a smash hit selling them. They get people excited about the brand name, so they can buy RSX's and 3's.
If the number crunchers decide that coming out with a new sports model will sell enough Galants to break even, then its a good move. Although those same marketing guys havent been helping the company so much lately....

I retract my previous statement..

This thing is hideous! it went from looking like a ninja turtle to a rhinoceros!

blknsxnoc said:
I retract my previous statement..

This thing is hideous! it went from looking like a ninja turtle to a rhinoceros!
LOL. It looks different, which is not that bad. The paint is sweet. I doubt the production vehicle will look as nice as that.

Does GM and Mitsubishi do joint product development by chance?

Back