Hello everybody. I have been reading NSX Prime for a while now and decided to register as I am thinking about a used NSX when the lease runs out on my S2000. I am located in Southern New Jersey and am wondering if anyone knows the best place to finance a used NSX. Most banks do not understand the value of any car older than 4 years, and charge exhorbitant interest rates. Also, where is the best place to get a potential purchase inspected. I am on quite friendly terms with the local Acura dealer, and they would inspect it for me easily enough, but if I am going to put a lot of money out, I want a thorough inspection. Also, does anyone have any experience with Mannheim High Line Auction? My lease does not run out for another year, so I have plenty of time within which to find the perfect used NSX. Thank you in advance for your help. Oh, as an S2000 owner, do I qualify for membership here? Perhaps a junior membership? ha ha ha
VTEC Rules!

Originally posted by 9000RPMan:
am wondering if anyone knows the best place to finance a used NSX.

Do a search on these forums, on topics with the word financing in the title.

where is the best place to get a potential purchase inspected.

You are close to the top NSX mechanic on the East Coast, Bernie at Davis Acura in Langhorne PA (a suburb northeast of Philly). Go there for your inspection.

as an S2000 owner, do I qualify for membership here?

You will have to change your username to 8000RPMan if you get the NSX.

I'm sure you could be 9000RPM man with an NSX.............at least for a few seconds!!!!!!!!!!

Not that unfair. Remember, the s2k is almost 10 years newer so technology has progeressed. Besides, it isn't really 9,000, its 8,900 and I round up. Thanks for the info about Davis Acura. I believe that my firm represents them, so maybe I can get a good deal. Let us hope.

I went to Bernie at Davis Acura last month prior to my purchase for what they call a "Check and Report." This will run you about $80 and peace of mind that IF anything does go wrong with your upcoming beauty, she will be in good hands....especially if you intend to follow in your namesake's footsteps and go to 9,000 RPM! I am in South Jersey as well, so touch base when you get your car! Good Luck!

Thanks NSXNEV and Ludgero. I represent a client who sells used cars. Not high line cars, but the kind of car where you pay the dealer you bought it on a weekly basis. I did some land use work for him and we got to talking about cars. I mentioned that I have another 11 months left on my 2000 S2000 lease and was thinking about looking for a used NSX. He said that he would gladly take me to Mannheim, and that there are usually 3 to 5 NSXs there. He said that there is usually about a 10K markup by the dealer before they sell it. I assume that I will have to put some of the savings into repairs, so I won't save 10K unless I get really lucky. My question concerns the quality of car passing through there. Is that a dumping ground for problems, or do good cars come through there. As I will not be able to have a certified Acura Tech (i.e. Bernie from Davis Acura) there to inspect it, how do I protect myself? Do you know of anyone who has gotten their NSX there? Are they happy? Did they get burned? I have plenty of time to find my NSX so I am in no hurry. Also, anyone want a nice 30,000 mile 2000 S2000 in Jan or Feb of 2004? 30,000 miles now, probably 40 by next year. Thanks in advance.

He said that he would gladly take me to Manheim, and that there are usually 3 to 5 NSXs there.

Just F.Y.I., he can get into a lot of trouble taking you there because it is a dealer only auction. NSXs are rare period. You might get lucky but the only time you will see an NSX at Manheim is either during the beginning of the spring or the end of the summer.

My question concerns the quality of car passing through there.

I have purchased many NSXs there and never had a problem. Here is a hint: Manheim has a a Web Site that registered dealers may go on to see what vehicles will be at the next sale. These vehicles are listed with their VINs. Have the dealer run a carfax before the actual auction day and that should help decrease any initial hesitation you may have.

Is that a dumping ground for problems, or do good cars come through there.

Most cars are in like new condition but depending on the day it can vary. The auction is divided into 30 something lanes. Each lane is restricted by either year, make, bank, or AS-IS. The dealer must announce all major problems the car may have. So, you basically know what you are getting up front for the most part. The dealer who purchases a car has one week to come up with any major issues the vehicle may have. If a problem (e.g. frame damage) is found before one week is up, the car can be returned to arbitration at the auction and all money will be refunded upon a Manheim mechanic's approval.

I believe his offer was that he would buy the car at the auction for me and then I would buy it from his dealership at his cost.

That being true, then I am sure he will not mind showing you the auction slip with the price on it (there are 3 slips: blue - no price, yellow - aauction copy, pink - all info). This auction slip has all kinds of information. For example: previous owner; if bought on green light, yellow light, red light; if the previous owner declared any problems at the time of sale; etc..

Just FYI:

I used to work at Carmax up in Dulles, VA as a part time Sales associate to pay for my wedding back in 1999 and we sent our buyers to the Mannheim High Line Auctions in PA to get the Mercedes, Beamers, Lexus, Acuras, etc (anything under $50k) The vehicles bought were always 1-3 years old and had unusually low miles and were very well maintained. The mark up that Carmax did on those vehicles were only under $2k, usually $1500 with normal fluid changes, brakes and tires replaced if needed.

If you have a chance to buy from Mannheim High Line Auction, I'd suggest you do it! But do the research on the VIN's like above said. You'll be able to save $$$$

Good luck!

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

You are correct about financing. Any car over a certain age (I believe it is 6 years) is considered an unsecured loan and will warrant a 12%+ loan. The best way to get around this is take out a home equity loan at 6-7%. As long as it is a simple interest, no prepayment penalty loan, there really isn't a differnce except you are getting half the unsecured rate.

What company is that Spartan, I would like to see if they have an affiliate here in STL? private me at [email protected]

Back