Hello all!

I just picked up a '91 yesterday afternoon. This is the only picture I have so far; taken last night when I crashed the ClubLexus meet in Irvine to show off to some car friends. :D (That's me on the left... impersonating a dinosaur? I was caught mid-sentence explaining something, haha.)

180655_10150138299907456_754597455_7940738_1523869_n.jpg

I'm glad to be back in the Honda family. I've formerly owned an S2000, Insight, Prelude and Integra.

Hope to meet some of you in person real soon!

Congrats and welcome to the NSX group. Keep an eye on the SoCal threads for upcoming events.

Welcome aboard - congratulations - now you can start having fun while driving again! Man no matter how many times we see pictures it's always nice to see more. You car looks nice! Red is a great color it's just conspicuous, so be careful you don't attract much attention!

Fill us in on the details of your purchase!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Fill us in on the details of your purchase!

She has 68k miles and is not in the snap-ring range. All service has been done and well documented in a binder with each page in laminate. Paint and interior are nearly flawless. She just needs a good buff and wax to really shine. I was able to get an excellent deal on her because of some (minor) issues that I'm perfectly capable of fixing myself:

1. Hatch struts are blown
2. Windows go up slowly
3. A/C fan only runs at full speed.
4. Stereo doesn't work (factory headunit with upgraded amp, speakers and woofer)
5. Aftermarket alarm doesn't unlock the driver's door, only the passenger's

These are mostly issues that I was already aware of as common problems (thanks to the threads I've read on the forum and wiki) but all things that I can fix myself and within a single weekend.

I already ordered replacement struts from SOS and am about to head to Fry's for some capacitors to repair the CCU.

The 4 gauge wire from the stereo to the Alpine amp was disconnected, hence the sound not working. But I'm still not getting much volume and the volume control on the headunit doesn't make any change. Someone installed an Audiocontrol Three.1 crossover and equalizer in the glovebox and the volume only seems to be adjustable from there. The CD player and radio work but I can only hear the bass faintly. Based on the documented service and repair records, it looks like the previous owner had complained about the stereo numerous times and just kept taking it into a stereo shop for repair. I'll probably just tear everything aftermarket out and start from scratch (as I had already planned on upgrading the headunit to a double-DIN anyways).

Once I get these electrical gremlins fixed, window tinting will be next on the list. I forgot how older cars didn't have any UV protection in the glass and I already got a slight sunburn on my neck. Granted, I'm a pale Irish boy but still... :)

very nice,good luck with the car.Our DIYers always love hearing about peoples fixes for things so if you feel up to it start a thread about your repairs once completed.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

She has 68k miles and is not in the snap-ring range. All service has been done and well documented in a binder with each page in laminate. Paint and interior are nearly flawless. She just needs a good buff and wax to really shine. I was able to get an excellent deal on her because of some (minor) issues that I'm perfectly capable of fixing myself:

1. Hatch struts are blown
2. Windows go up slowly
3. A/C fan only runs at full speed.
4. Stereo doesn't work (factory headunit with upgraded amp, speakers and woofer)
5. Aftermarket alarm doesn't unlock the driver's door, only the passenger's

These are mostly issues that I was already aware of as common problems (thanks to the threads I've read on the forum and wiki) but all things that I can fix myself and within a single weekend.

I already ordered replacement struts from SOS and am about to head to Fry's for some capacitors to repair the CCU.

The 4 gauge wire from the stereo to the Alpine amp was disconnected, hence the sound not working. But I'm still not getting much volume and the volume control on the headunit doesn't make any change. Someone installed an Audiocontrol Three.1 crossover and equalizer in the glovebox and the volume only seems to be adjustable from there. The CD player and radio work but I can only hear the bass faintly. Based on the documented service and repair records, it looks like the previous owner had complained about the stereo numerous times and just kept taking it into a stereo shop for repair. I'll probably just tear everything aftermarket out and start from scratch (as I had already planned on upgrading the headunit to a double-DIN anyways).

Once I get these electrical gremlins fixed, window tinting will be next on the list. I forgot how older cars didn't have any UV protection in the glass and I already got a slight sunburn on my neck. Granted, I'm a pale Irish boy but still... :)

I would be one of those people that would LOVE to hear how you fix the A/C problem as my car just started having that problem too. I know SOS fixes it for 200 dollars and if its just capacitors Id love to know how to DIY myself!

Please take some photos and a description of how you did it. Not that you owe us that, but it would be cool. Even if I end up sending in my unit at least I will know how to remove that unit, where it is located, etc etc.

Thanks
Jason

Please take some photos and a description of how you did it. Not that you owe us that, but it would be cool. Even if I end up sending in my unit at least I will know how to remove that unit, where it is located, etc etc.

I actually found a good description with photos here: http://nsxe-repair.com/CCUremoval.html

I just removed mine and opened the CCU. Several of the capacitors are blown. I will be sure to take pictures and open a new thread with details. Assuming you're comfortable with a soldering iron, it should be easy to fix.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. It's a great place to be. Your car looks like mine - great lookin!!! :biggrin: Happy Motoring. Jay

which do you like best now after you have the NSX?

Oh, the NSX by far. The GS was a great car and got a lot of attention, but it never inspired me when driving... nothing can replace the feeling double shifting down a gear before a turn and having the car hug you like it's on rails. And the NSX turns more heads than the GS ever did, even when rolling super low on bags.

The NSX is a lot more comfortable than I expected it to be. Prior to the GS, the last "sports car" I drove was a heavily modded Nissan 240sx (w/ SR20DET) and I was imagining the same ride quality and generally poor misdemeanor in daily driving.

Back