New member saying hallo!

Hello all! I've just realized I've been posting without introducing myself first. Currently in the market for 2002-2005 NSX. Finally had the chance to drive a 2005 NSX a few months back. The same car is still for sale, moved to a different dealership now. Since then, another 2004 has sprung up for sale. From the Houston area, thought there would be more of a selection.

My thoughts on the driving experience:

1. Man it's low! I was at a stoplight during the test drive and a vagrant and his dog were right beside me. I swear I was eye level with the dog!
2. The car feels like a go kart, albeit, slightly larger.
3. The rpm's dont end! I'm coming from a 350z where the cutoff is ~6600rpm (I usually dont bring it that high, maybe ~5.5k at most). With the nsx, it felt as if it was able to keep going and going.
4. Comparing it to a 05 350z, the clutch pedal is slightly stiffer to push down, the NSX feels only slightly faster against my butt, and the NSX feels more precise in the turns.

Couple of questions:
1. Do the framless windows go down when you open the door, and raise back up to create a tighter seal when you close the door? I forgot to check....
2. The gear knob, when you move it laterally (left/right), is there supposed to be a lack of "springiness" ? In the Z, it when you move the gear knob left or right, it will always come back to center.
3. Comparing a 1997-2001 and a 2002-2005, will there be much of a difference? Same engine, interior and exterior differences I know..but is there any subtle differences in the driving experiece that one can feel (assuming mileage and condition are reasonably the same)?

Good to meet everyone, and I hope to become a permanent member here!
:biggrin:

Welcome! :)

It was fun reading your first observations....brings back memories!

In regards to your questions:

1) The windows DO NOT move down slightly (aka BMW, Mercedes) before it closes. I think this technology was no available back when the car was created or maybe it’s not even needed that I dunno…

2) Compared to my e46 m3 and s2000, the NSX shifter is “average”. It seems to lack the springy feeling you are talking about. I have the SOS Short Stalk for a shorter shifting position and it seems to tighten it up even more. I wish the shifter is more like my s2000 but certainly not bad. The worst shifter ever I encountered so far is in my brother’s old 2001 IS300 – that thing just sucked! The clutch on the NSX is probably the lightest clutch ever. This is one thing I really do Not like about the car but unless I swap it out for a race unit, I’ll have to live with it. My e46 m3 has a near perfect clutch feel (stock. My s2000 has the upgraded race clutch and it’s perfect now but the stock clutch was too soft just like the NSX. For the 08 GT3, the shifter was again only “average” but the clutch is perfect (those Germans really know how to make a car feel solid).

3) I think various people here will have different opinions on 97-01 vs. 2002+ cars. In all honesty I think the consensus is that we ALL want a 2002+ car so if you can afford it just buy that model year. I love my targa top and the new headlights so for me it’s really a simple choice. Interior has the nicely stitched dash and the 2002+ exterior is so much nicer. If you take the time to swap the parts out it will easily cost $$$ so might as well just get the newer car if you can swing it.

If you think a stock NSX is low, just wait till you drop the car! Mine is about 3” lower than a stock Ferrari 360 / 430, etc…..my buddy has a 360 Stradale and my NSX still sits lower than his car!

Rick

Thanks for the reply!

What are everyone's thoughts/experiences with the 1997 NSX? I've always been warned about buying the 1st year production models because of "bugs" that need to be worked out. Is that any concern with the 97' 3.2L engine and 6spd transmission? If one could say the NSX year to avoid, would it be this year due to the major changes?

Last edited:
My preference:
If I could only find the car.
2001 white. (I know only 5 or less builtfor the US)
I prefer black interior ( that limits it to 4)
last year with hide-away head lamps
3.2 l
6 speed (that limits it to 3 built in the US)
coupe looks great with black roof, but I would take a Targa. (oK, 1)

Not many 2001s built. rare year.
I am in Canada. I believe 4 cars were imported to Canada from Honda in 2001. (No numbers on color)

It's good to dream.

Last edited:
in my opinion if you can afford it, just get the 02+ because they have never been cheaper. you also save yourself close to 10K that is needed to upgrade the outward appearance if you decided to do the conversion later on, not to mention you get the silver trimmed interior with the perforated leather, and the white stitching on the dash board.

the 05 Z definitely has a more torquey feeling, and it hard to gauge the nsx's true speed without driving it like you stole it. but for mundane driving the z definitely feels like the faster car. i was surprised at how torquey those things were when i test drove one. but once the revs starts climbing on the nsx and your in the right gear at the right speed than you make a true judgment for yourself on how quick the nsx really is ;)

of course you need to own one to drive it like that of course. when i test drove mine, i was extremely unimpressed but the more i drove it and the more learned how to drive it, this thing is a blast man.

Test drove a 1997 NSX yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

1. Feels as fast as a 2005 (which it should, right? :smile: Same drivetrain and all ). Didnt detect any noticeable difference in power or feel.
2. The interior just looks dated. Especially the leather on the interior door trim...it looks "saggy"

Questions:
1. The spare tire was just "floating" around in the front compartment. Is it supposed to be strapped down to anything?
2. To close the trunk, I had to let the trunk down, and then close the final few millimeters (i'm guesssing here) with firm pressure until I heard a click. It did not close down like a regular trunk that I am used to...is this normal practice?
3. The spoiler felt like metal construction (aluminium I'm assuming)...I always thought it was made from fiberglass...?

-The spare should be fixed to a bracket in the front. The spare should reside in front of and just above the battery.
-The experience you mentioned regarding closing the trunk is what I was explained. Like you, it seemed a bit odd, but you get used to it.
-Not sure exactly what type of material the spoiler is made from. One of the more seasoned members on this board will have to jump in to explain that.

Test drove a 1997 NSX yesterday. Here are my thoughts...?

WHOA, you are really serious! nice and good luck, yeah, you can't go wrong either way, right now there's some serious good 02-05 deals around, the interior on the 02+ is a bit better, but honestly once you get one, these small differences on the interior don't matter too much, I am a big fan of the classic front/lights 91-01 so I am OK, just the rear of a 91-01 needs URGENT a 02+ rear (lights and underbody) but that can be fixed ....

Again either way you'll LOVE the NSX, go ahead, enjoy the lower prices!!

Oscar

Hi there,

Good luck in your purchase!

I can't really comment on the the stock shifter, however, I do happen to have a short shifter kit (comptech I believe, though I am unsure since the NSX I bought came that way), and it definitely has a "springiness" which returns it to the center pretty quickly. So even if you aren't too happy with the stock shifter stock, you can always change it to feel more like the way you want it.

I am also a fan of the flip up lights, because I personally feel as if these kinds of lights offer a sleeker look for daytime running operations, and because I personally do not like the "bubble" look on the 02+ models. I do agree with oscar that the older models do need an update of the rear to make it look like the newer models, (I'm personally in the process of doing this to my own '92).

I really cannot compare the difference between driving an NA1 and an NA2 because my own experiences are limited to the NA1. If you aren't looking for any year in particular (and what I'm abotu to say only has to do with certain NA1's): I would be aware that certain NSX's in the 1991, and some in the earlier 1992 range are susceptible to an issue in the transmission called "snap ring failure" which is found on a certain transmission number range. (info found here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm
)

I'm guessing you're not in the market for an NA1 judging by your screen name :) but in case that option ever crossed your mind it might be good to know. I'm sure you already know that the 1997-2005 NSXs all have the same drivetrain, and like I said, I can't exactly comment on this without having experience in such cars, although I am in the process of installing a 2004 NSXs 3.2 L engine (C32B) into my own NA1 and might be able to have performance like the '97 then, so I might have to get back to you on that then :)

Good luck on your purchase, and please be sure to let us know about your experience of driving the car home, as I know that was probably one of the better days of my life seeing how the NSX is my dream car :)

I've owned both a NA1 (1991 Berlina Black) and now my 2002 NA2 Imola.

I much prefer the newer cars interior and exterior aesthetics.

The +02 has the revised front fascia and rear which to me gives the NSX a more modern look. The stitching on the interior and perforated leather seats make it all worth the while. I also rather like the interior console and trim coloring instead of the black I had on my 91. The center console cubby partition between the seats on the +02 cars doesn't have the silver NSX badge that will scold your arm on hot days parked in the sun either.

I went from coupe to targa which in my opinion was worth the cost of entry on the newer NSX hands down!

Jetpilot

Back