New member, old lurker, need help.

Hey all. I am a new member here, long-time lurker. Excellent site. Audience is definitely more mature compared to other car forums- as expected. I was hoping you could help me with a prospective purchase:

2003 Silverstone/Onyx NSX-T 6spd
3,500 mi
Original owner, under warranty
Only problem I could see: 1 small rock chip on front bumper cover
Deal for 70,000

What do you think? All opinons are welcome.
Another question: What are the stock compression #'s from the factory?
Last question: Any advice on what I should look out for?

avalon96 said:
What do you think? All opinons are welcome.
I guess the key question is what you're comparing it to. If you're asking whether that's a fair price for a 2003 with low miles like that, I think you ought to be able to bargain it down another $2-3K. There are going to be some people who tell you you can save a lot of money by getting a nice '97-99 for maybe $18-20K less and it's essentially the same car, and they're right. There are others who tell you you can spend $5-10K more and get a brand new car, and they're right, too. Your decision...

nsxtasy said:
There are others who tell you you can spend $5-10K more and get a brand new car, and they're right, too. Your decision...

Do brand new NSX's go for 75-80? I thought 80 was invoice and 90 was msrp.

avalon96 said:
Do brand new NSX's go for 75-80? I thought 80 was invoice and 90 was msrp.
MSRP is $89,765. Invoice is $79,978 before deducting the holdback. Acura has frequently been running dealer incentives of $5-10K that can bring your purchase price down to the high seventies.

nsxtasy said:
MSRP is $89,765. Invoice is $79,978 before deducting the holdback. Acura has frequently been running dealer incentives of $5-10K that can bring your purchase price down to the high seventies.

Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks for the headsup. I guess it makes sense to give dealerships incentives to sell this low-volume car. However, when dealing with the dealership, you start down from MSRP if not a markup from that. Is it likely that I can go ALL the way down to invoice, and then even 5-10k below that?

I guess I am asking for other members to chime in. Those who bought a brand new NSX from the dealership: What was the deal you worked out? Below invoice? Thanks!

avalon96 said:
when dealing with the dealership, you start down from MSRP if not a markup from that.
No, you don't. Not if you're smart.

avalon96 said:
Is it likely that I can go ALL the way down to invoice, and then even 5-10k below that?
Obviously, it depends on the dealer, and it depends on what incentives are offered at the time. Right now I don't see evidence of dealer incentives on the NSX (other than the $799/month lease deal), although I know there was a big dealer incentive as recently as a couple of months ago.

Dealers will almost never sell a car for less than they pay for it, unless it's been sitting in the showroom for so long that they just want to get rid of it. But many dealers will be happy to sell an NSX for a profit of as little as a couple thousand dollars. You are only likely to pay below dealer invoice if there is an additional dealer incentive involved, so that the cost to the dealer is less than invoice.

nsxtasy said:
No, you don't. Not if you're smart.

Haha, I guess I'm not too bright. But, you are right. What I meant was that a lot of dealers will look at the situation from that point of view.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. Really helpful and I appreciate it.

avalon96 said:
Haha, I guess I'm not too bright. But, you are right. What I meant was that a lot of dealers will look at the situation from that point of view.
Yes, I know. In fact, that's one of the first bits of advice if you read the Consumer Reports auto issue about how to buy a car: Don't use the MSRP as a starting point; use the dealer's actual cost. It works well with mass-market cars that are not in heavy demand, where dealers will often sell for a few hundred dollars over their cost. For cars where demand outstrips supply, they can often get MSRP (or higher). For our cars, it varies, because demand and supply are so low.

I didn't mean it to sound like an insult in any way; I just meant that that's what THEY want you to do (for obvious reasons)...

avalon96 said:
Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks for the headsup. I guess it makes sense to give dealerships incentives to sell this low-volume car. However, when dealing with the dealership, you start down from MSRP if not a markup from that. Is it likely that I can go ALL the way down to invoice, and then even 5-10k below that?

I guess I am asking for other members to chime in. Those who bought a brand new NSX from the dealership: What was the deal you worked out? Below invoice? Thanks!

As usual, Ken is correct!!! :wink: When I purchased (leased actually) my new 2002 in Feb of 03 Acura had a 7,500 cash back to the dealer. I used this knowledge to negotiate a cap cost of $74,000 which included the then options of remote entry and CD changer, the MSRP at that time was $90,000. In the dead of winter, with the 03's already on the way I had negotiated all that I could with the dealer, they had come down to $75,000, I called the sales manager directly (my salesman was a nice kid, but a little green) and gave them until the end of the week at 4pm to either accept my offer of 74, or no deal (I made the ultimatum on a Monday). On Friday at 3:45pm, they called and asked me to come in to sign the paperwork. Deal done, I've loved every minute since!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

avalon96 said:
How can I find out the current incentive/rewards programs?

Nevermind. I found it via google. In case anyone else is wondering, the current rebate program is $5000 and valid until 01/05/05.

nsxtasy said:

Then I just realized we pay almost double here in Europe! I'm born in the wrong continent. :frown: :mad:

Back