New member - John

Hey guys, just joined up and thought I would introduce myself.

My names John, and I'm from the lower part of South Australia. Ever since I was a kid I've grown up wanting to own an NSX. I've had a couple of Honda's in the past (both CRX's), and currently own a 93 model Toyota Supra Turbo.

I'm at the stage where I have done everything I set out to do with the Supra, and looking to sell it on and finally step into an NSX.

I've had a quick browse over a few threads on here already and have picked up a few things that will help me out when looking at purchasing one in the future.

Looking at some of the threads of your cars makes me want to head to the bank straight away and deal with offloading the Supra once I've got it, but the smarter side of me is going to wait!

Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one in the near future and meet up with a few of you.

Cheers
John

Hi John,

Good luck with your search for an NSX. In my experience, which is only two years and from what I am told, not too much goes wrong with them, but you do need to make sure all of the electrical components are working. My understanding is that the biggest issue is whether or not the vehicle has been bent, I am told that they are hard to repair and can suffer issues, especially if it was a big hit with structural damage.

For some reason imported vehicle seem to sell for about 5-10k less than Australia delivered vehicles, so they can make for good budget buying. The autos also tend to sell for about 5-7k less than the manuals. That being said, I would suggest the manual is the preferred option from a performance and driving perspective, but that's my biased view!

There hasn't been too many around for some time now, although there are plenty in SA for some reason, so you have a better chance of finding one locally than most - I got mine from WA. The one thing that I can say, having driven a huge array of cars over decades working in the motoring industry, I have yet to drive anything as enjoyable as the NSX, especially for the price tag, mind you the WRX STI is a great drive.

If the right car does come up, don't miss it, even if you still have the Supra. If you do let it pass you by you might be waiting a while and I suspect you will regret it, I looked for 18-months to two years to find mine.

All the best,

David

Hi John,

I'm the unofficial head of the NSX group in SA. We have 21 NSX's on our register (a few more lurking around) and we catch up as a group on regular occasions. There maybe a red NSX for sale in our group you can either PM me or ring me on 0412 824 824 for details if you’re ready to buy now or if you want just want to say hi.

Les

Welcome aboard, you've got some knowledgable owners in SA.
I agree with the advice given stick to the manual and local you would only buy import if you dont intend to sell for a long time and do mods.
Is it coincidence but there was a show CRX with CDUCTV plates nothing with you yeah ?

Nico

Cheers for the response guys, the tips are muchly appreciated.

I have been browsing carsales and the likes for a while to see what's about, and there doesn't seem to be much at all at the moment.

The CRX was completely factory when I got it, and what started off as a few little bits and pieces and a body kit (was my second car and I was 17, so it turned out a bit ricey) ended up blowing out rather quickly and eventually turbo'd, no idea what the condition of the car is like now though.

7416510028_large.jpg

7416510029_large.jpg

The Supra is the car that had the CDUCTV plates on it (have since removed for the sale), and was recently in Hot4s with the 20" Volks, which I sold and fitted Rota Grids to be able to reduce the price of the car a bit.

375376_103835043070536_100003321218962_18763_1667582565_n.jpg

381162_117145435072830_100003321218962_93594_883247738_n.jpg

373833_110210215766352_100003321218962_54682_1117401150_n.jpg

The Supra is mostly cosmetic work, respray, genuine Border Racing kit, retrim etc, with basic breathing mods to the engine, Was dyno'd at 205kw at the wheels with just an intercooler and exhaust, so was pretty impressed with that.

Both cars were factory standard when I got them and did a majority of the work myself on both (other than the paintwork and actual upholstery work).

As for an NSX - I've had my heart set on a white or silver one when the time does come, however I think I might be clutching at straws to find white. I'll definitely be going for a manual though. Whichever I do end up with will be remaining relatively factory. Honda got it pretty much spot-on from factory with the NSX, and if I can eventually get one I don't think I'd ever be able to part with it, pretty superior vehicle.

Nico is yours the GT Widebody kitted NSX? I remember reading a write up about it in AutoSalon magazine and was browsing the kit install photos on the JRacing website, looks unreal!

Last edited:
I had originally decided that Formula Red was a bit too common and wanted something a bit different, but after seeing more and more pictures of them with the black roof they've grown on me! Haha.

I check carsales and what not practically every day to see what's available.

There's a silver one that popped up today that was listed in SA some time ago, still has SA reg but is now located in WA and has a bung SRS sensor / unit. It's an import version (Complied 2007, so I'd assume a personal import). Does anyone know any further information on it? LINK

I can tell you whatever you want about this car John :)

I bought it about a year and a half ago then my mrs got preggerz so Ive not really had much time or energy to spend on the car..

Unfortunately the car ran out of Rego due to me thinking it had longer..I have since been trying to get the car ready for the pits (slowly)

New tyres/Alarm etc..I had the rods changed and tightened to..

With the SRS problem, I bought the car with this issue and I don't think it will pass the pits untill it comes off so sent it down to Honda North who have the correct equiptment to pull the code..

Turns out it needs a new SRS unit, its a japanese spec SRS unit..I know they are around for about $650 US plus installation and shipping..

I just don't have the time anymore so decided to gut the price and just move it on..36k I think is very fair for an NSX with only 66000ks

Your more than welcome to come have alook at the car..or you can call me at any time

Cheers and talk soon

I just don't have the time anymore so decided to gut the price and just move it on..36k I think is very fair for an NSX with only 66000ks

Hi John,

Welcome. NSX's are becoming more collectable. Just about anything for 36k these days is good value. The more stock you keep it in the future, the more valuable it will be. Don't be too fussed about the colour; you're on the inside anyway!

Have you driven one? If you do, you will probably park your old ride and walk, rather than drive anything else ever again. Arguably the most competent road car ever built (at least up to 1990 :wink:)

Will see you with your new car at "NSX Australia 2013" next Feb.

Paul

Hey Paul, thanks for the welcome. The plan is to keep it relatively standard, or atleast keep all parts to return it back to standard, or as close to as possible, to keep the rarity of the car in tact. I was hoping to find a factory manual so as not to be changing it from the factory specs also.

I've never driven one before, or sat in one, the closest I've been is seeing them at the Autosalon shows a few years back. There was a yellow NSX in Adelaide with twin T28 turbos on it quite some time ago that was on display, that's about as close as I've ever gotten to the real thing though.

Teza, just about to send you a PM.

Cheers
John,

Back