new member hello, advice sought

Hello all.

My name is Brian Acosta and i just bought a 93 black/black/auto for my son.
The car has 2800 miles on the clock and I was hoping to get some expert advice regarding maintenance items that I should have taken care of immediately/prior to regular use. I cant wait to put some new shoes on the car and would appreciate any advice or suggestions regrading that topic as well. From what I have read I think I'd like to go with a 17/18 combo, but my concerns are (in order) no rubbing, no spacers, look great, ride well. I currently have 18s on another car with very low profile tires and a fairly stiff suspension and I am not at all displeased with the ride so 18/19 isn't out of consideration, but I had to use spacers AND roll the fenders to prevent rubbing and I won't do that again if I dont have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions that you may have regarding upgrades, modifications, maintenance, and any other wisdom that you have to offer :-)

bja

Hello all.

The car has 2800 miles on the clock and I was hoping to get some expert advice regarding maintenance items that I should have taken care of immediately/prior to regular use. I cant wait to put some new shoes on the car and would appreciate any advice or suggestions regrading that topic as well. From what I have read I think I'd like to go with a 17/18 combo, but my concerns are (in order) no rubbing, no spacers, look great, ride well. I currently have 18s on another car with very low profile tires and a fairly stiff suspension and I am not at all displeased with the ride so 18/19 isn't out of consideration, but I had to use spacers AND roll the fenders to prevent rubbing and I won't do that again if I dont have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions that you may have regarding upgrades, modifications, maintenance, and any other wisdom that you have to offer :-)

bja

Welcome and can you be my dad? :wink: :biggrin:

Nice find. That's definitely a vintage NSX. There are several considerations when purchasing an ultra-low mileage vehicle such as yours. Here and here are some great threads discussing the pros and cons of those types of vehicles and some of the maintenance that should be done. It also has some opinions on the "value" of these ultra-low mileage vehicles.

In summary, regardless of mileage, the 30/60/90K mile services should be completed. If they were completed more than 2/4/6 years ago, respectively, they should be completed again. You can find all the details of the 30/60/90K services here.

As you'll read in the first referenced threads there are some items on the NSX such as certain seals, gaskets and hoses which can deteriorate faster than normal due to non-use. Any experienced NSX tech will know what to look for. All fluids and coolant hoses should be changed if not done so in the last 2 and 6 years, respectively. Sounds like you're already planning on new tires which of course also deteriorate with age.

As far as wheels the 17/18 combo is probably the most popular aftermarket combo for the NSX. As long as the car isn't lowered more than 1.25" in the front and the tire width doesn't exceed 225mm there should be no rubbing whatsoever. Spacers should not be necessary unless your AM wheels of choice don't clear the brake calipers but I would guess 98% of AM 17" wheels will clear the calipers. If spacers are needed however there are some very good quality 10mm spacers available from several NSX AM vendors. I would not hesitate to use them and IMHO I think they improve the look and stance of the car.

Also the best stagger for performance in terms of tire width front to rear seems to be 40mm or less for the NSX. IOW if you decide to run 215 in the front keep the rear width to 255 or less. 225 in the front allows you 265 rear. This isn't a commandment but keeping within those guidelines will optimize handling and performance.

Last edited:
Is this his 1st car? So how old is the lucky little bastard, opp's.:redface: I meant how old is your son?:biggrin:

If you get aftermarket wheels especially something expensive make sure you teach him not to scratch the wheels.

Congrats on your purchase! You are indeed a truly awesome dad!

:eek: Giving a 16 year old boy an NSX...WOW you are brave. I can't imagine how much the insurance is going to be. My daughter is turning 16 in 2 weeks and I am just going to let her drive my 94 Camry with 220k miles on it. I think new drivers tend to have fender benders and I want to get that out of the way before I get her something nicer.

Anyway, Back on topic, I would recommend keeping the stock wheels and tires for a while so when he scrapes them on the curb its not such a big deal. Unless you have money to burn that is... If money is no object, I would go with the 215/40-17 Front & 265/35-18 Rear setup which is popular. Bilstein shocks on a lower perch setting with stock coils is also a popular suspension setup that gives a decent ride and lowers the car less than an inch. I would recommend the alignment to 1994 specs also which will give better rear tire wear.

I would also think about a rev limiter to about 5000 rpm...unless you don't mind some speeding tickets. Remember these cars can do 168 miles per hour.

I would teach him about safe sex (for the girls that will all of a sudden like him) and put him in a good self-defense class (for the guys that all of a sudden won't like him). He will need it driving a black NSX to high school.

As for the wheels, keep it light and you should be good. The wheel/tire section has tons of good info you can search through.

Anyway, Back on topic, I would recommend keeping the stock wheels and tires for a while so when he scrapes them on the curb its not such a big deal. Unless you have money to burn that is... If money is no object, I would go with the 215/40-17 Front & 265/35-18 Rear setup which is popular. Bilstein shocks on a lower perch setting with stock coils is also a popular suspension setup that gives a decent ride and lowers the car less than an inch. I would recommend the alignment to 1994 specs also which will give better rear tire wear.

I suppose if money is no object but I would not endorse a 215/265 setup for an NSX, particularly an automatic NSX. Performance degrades (albeit on a higher level) when a 40mm front to rear width stagger is exceeded and 265mm+ tires can be much more expensive than 255. I would stick to 215/255.

Due to the age of the vehicle your shocks might indeed need replacement and I would agree that Bilsteins on the lower perch (~.875" total drop) are an excellent, less expensive alternative to the OEM shocks. Your OEM springs should be fine--they are excellent quality and don't "sag" over time as rumored.

I would recommend the alignment to 1994 specs also which will give better rear tire wear.

The 1993 OEM alignment is fine. 1991 & 1992 were the years of the overly aggressive OEM toe specs. Just mention you'd like the alignment at the least aggressive of the acceptable "range." Your alignment guy will know what to do.

I would also think about a rev limiter to about 5000 rpm...unless you don't mind some speeding tickets. Remember these cars can do 168 miles per hour.

I think he'll be fine w/ the 255hp auto. Many many everyday cars have upwards of 250hp these days. There's no way an auto is going to reach 168 mph. The rev limiter on the 255hp C30 is around 7400rpm anyways.

There's no way an auto is going to reach 168 mph. The rev limiter on the 255hp C30 is around 7400rpm anyways.

Well the rev limiter has little to do with how fast the car can go, the 4-speed autos have different gearing than the 5-speed manuals. I've tried something near 160mph on a 4-speed.:biggrin:

Well the rev limiter has little to do with how fast the car can go, the 4-speed autos have different gearing than the 5-speed manuals. I've tried something near 160mph on a 4-speed.:biggrin:

I'm aware of that. I intended those to be two separate statements.

The gearing on the auto 4th gear is .684 which would result in a theoretical top speed of well over 200mph. 255hp is not going to move the car very much after drag begins to take effect. Quite frankly I'm surprised you were able to get much over 150mph.

Hello all.

bja

welcome!

i see you are also from south louisiana. if you are ever in need of a good honda mechanic for your car, just let me know. Im ASE and Honda/Acura certified (nissan/infiniti too, but who cares about them on here right?) and i also own a red 92 NSX.

i thought i was the youngest member (25) on here, but 16 is a LOT younger. i hope your kid knows the level of respect this car demands.

welcome!

i see you are also from south louisiana. if you are ever in need of a good honda mechanic for your car, just let me know. Im ASE and Honda/Acura certified (nissan/infiniti too, but who cares about them on here right?) and i also own a red 92 NSX.

i thought i was the youngest member (25) on here, but 16 is a LOT younger. i hope your kid knows the level of respect this car demands.

I don't make it a practice to attack anyone, particularly on Prime, so I hope I don't come off sounding that way.

I read your endorsement of yourself as an NSX tech in your above post and thought to myself that I would probably not ever have my NSX serviced by someone whose user name was "ef you." I decided to look past it and read through some of your previous posts and discovered that you are 25 and manage an oil change shop. I thought again, to myself, that anyone certified and competent enough to work on NSXs would probably not be in that line of work. And that anyone who is 25 cannot possibly have enough NSX experience for me to feel comfortable letting them work on my NSX.

I also noticed that, in a past post, you made the claim that the NSX oil filter is the same as the Legend filter. This is 100% false. While they are both compatible the NSX oil filter is a completely different filter. The NSX filter is a higher capacity filter and longer than the Legend's. The NSX specific filter is almost never carried in the quickie lube shops and the guide book that these shops use (the same books found in Autozone, etc. when purchasing Fram filters, for example) simply says to use the Legend filter instead or lists the same part for both cars as a substitute but it is in no way a shared part. I then thought that someone who's business is exclusively oil and filters and who is Acura/Honda certified should know exactly what's what and what's not.

On an even less important note I look for overall attention to detail when selecting a mechanic to work on my NSX. Your grammar in your past posts leaves quite a bit to be desired. Now, I understand this is the internet age and people type quickly but you might notice that most of the long-term Prime members take their time and, barring the occasional typo or language differences, use proper grammar and are very thoughtful in their posts here. I wonder to myself how thorough would someone like that be with my possibly $89,000 NSX? There are always exceptions to the rule but it just kinda makes me wonder, that's all.

So my question is: how many NSXs, excluding your own, have you serviced (directly taken a wrench to) excluding oil/fluid changes? You mention you are ASE/Honda certified but what is your overall experience in servicing NSXs? How many Hondas/Acuras have you serviced and where? What facilities do you have?

Before I get attacked I'm only concerned because you went on record endorsing yourself as a "good Honda mechanic" and suggested that NSX owners in the Southern Louisiana area should use you. I would have the same concerns and do the same amount of research if anyone had recommended anybody who the NSX community had not heard of or dealt with so please do not take this personally. This is business and it's our duty as a community to inform and educate--especially in the often intimidating area of servicing one's very expensive NSX.

From reading your posts you sound like a fairly sharp, decent kid and are probably very responsible and hard-working. You are also apparently an NSX owner and that demonstrates a great level of fiscal responsibility and maturity for your age. I am not out to bust anyone's chops. But in the spirit of professionalism, when someone, not just you, is endorsed by either another member or themselves we owe it to each other to ask these questions.

This is a very tight community and we feel that Prime is one of the most informative, helpful car forum of any kind on the internet. We pride ourselves on our helpfulness but also our thoroghness, experience and pursuit of only the facts. You're a newer member and while we don't hold that against you we simply don't know who you are. I can tell you, however, that I probably would not have even thought twice if not for your "ef you" username. You might want to consider a new one if you're going to be promoting yourself as an NSX tech or desire any amount of respect from this community. :wink:

Rant over.

Regarding tires - If you get the 17"/18" wheels, I recommend the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires in sizes 215/40-17 and 265/35-18 for your '93. NSXGMS suggested 255/35-18, but 265/35-18 is a better match for the traction control system on the '93, which can encounter problems when the 255 rear is a lot more worn than the front. While I think stagger and handling are legitimate concerns, I think the 50 mm difference is still okay.

255/35-18 is a better match for the TCS in later year NSXs ('94 and later).

Also, I can think of a whole lot of reasons why giving an NSX to a 16-year-old is a bad idea, no matter how extraordinary he is. You might consider using the car yourself, giving him a less expensive, less ostentatious, and less powerful car now, and then giving him the NSX when he graduates college and embarks on a career.

Hmmm a 16 yrs old with an NSX... I suppose there are some here will gladly accept his hand-me-downs when he graduates college and you buy him an F360 Modena. :rolleyes:

I also have a 93 Auto and it accelerates rapidly up to 120 mpg and then slowly crawls up to higher speeds. I have stock 93 wheels.. and while I know this is blastphomy.. but I would upgrade to 18" in front only to RAISE the front off the ground. The car is a bit on the low side for city driving.. and there are some street with speed bumps that scare the crap outa me. :eek: I am avoiding them for now.

I also have a 93 Auto and it accelerates rapidly up to 120 mpg
I wish my car could accelerate up to 120 mpg! :biggrin:

I have stock 93 wheels.. and while I know this is blastphomy.. but I would upgrade to 18" in front only to RAISE the front off the ground. The car is a bit on the low side for city driving.. and there are some street with speed bumps that scare the crap outa me. :eek: I am avoiding them for now.
I don't think that's blasphemy at all. There are lots of disadvantages of going to 18"/19" wheels (for which 215/35-18 and 275/30-19 tire sizes are best), including poorer handling, slower acceleration, more limited tire availability, more expensive tires, and greater susceptibility to damage from potholes. As others have noted above, 17"/18" is the most popular wheel fitment for the NSX, and for good reason: it's the "happy medium" for good looks and handling without incurring the worst of these downsides.

Hmmmm....I have a 17 yr. old son and he is a pretty good kid. But I can't imagine buying him a NSX to drive. I obviously don't know this boy but I have a hard time believing he won't try the same stupid things other 16 yr olds try.

Young drivers for example don't know where the four corners of the car are.

They don't know where the front end is.

They have trouble turning their head around to look before changing lanes - a bit problem with the NSX rear visilibity.

They have no idea how much collisions cost to repair. An NSX repair is extra costly because of the aluminum body and expensive parts. USAA puts the NSX in its most expensive collision coverage category.

They will "race" their friends to McDonalds or someplace similar.

Please report back in a year and tell us how the car is. I just hope its not another totaled NSX.

My advice as I'm a recently new owner of an NSX is get your son out to a local SCCA open track day. Have an instructor sit with him and guide him through how to drive this car responsibly. Why? I just picked up my 91 NSX and having tracked an S2000 often in Autocross events (successfully too) I wanted to know the cars limits and what not to do. Guess what? I spun the NSX a total of 4 times throughout various corners (Once not intentional and the other 3 times intentional to understand the NSX's effect with SNAP OVERSTEER).

lift-off oversteer
Lift-off oversteer (also known as snap-oversteer, trailing-throttle oversteer, lift-throttle oversteer, or drop-throttle oversteer) is a form of oversteer in an automobile that occurs when the vertical load on the tires shifts from the rear to the front quickly due to throttle release while cornering.

This decrease in vertical load causes a decrease in the lateral force generated by the rear axle, so the axle starts to accelerate towards the outside of the turn. This steers the car more tightly into the turn, hence causing oversteer.

In layman's terms, this means that easing off the gas causes the rear wheels to break away suddenly, with the potential for the car to leave the road tail first.

Make sure your son understands how easy it is to run fast into a corner, lift off the gas pedal or barely touch the brake pedal and have the NSX turn into a whipping sprinkler hose. Not fun and very easy to do. The sooner your son understands how easy it is to wreck such fine machinery he'll hesitate to race his buddies to McDonalds.

Just my $0.02 and I do think your son is very very lucky! I'm 30 years old and have waited 16 years for mine.

Jetpilot

Hello all.

bja

An even better gift for your son would be enrollment in a good performance driving school. The NSX is an easy car to get into trouble with and get a little too confident in its abilities. It's best to learn the limits of the car in a controlled environment so you know what not to do on the street.

I thought about getting my son who is 14 now an NSX for him at 16 but he said no, he would like a I-ROC! I was gonna give him a Salvage title one that I was in kinda light. Now I'm in the market for a nice I-ROC in Blue w/T-Tops. Who woulda thunk it!

I agree about taking him to a driving event like TDE. Learn the limits of the car and get some of the racing out of him :) Cause lets face it, every boy likes to go fast, we all do. At least at a TDE it is a controlled environment for him to do that and to learn with an instructor in the process.

Found this the other day, thought this would be a good place to post it. Not at all implying that your son would do this or is a bad driver.
Read what the second car involved was, and how old the driver was.
crash03.jpg

Concerns for safetyand training are understood and appreciated. I'm a generous dad, but not an idiot. He wont drive the car without his mother or I in it excpet on VERY special occasions for his first couple of years of driving. I was young too. :-)

Regarding the advice and uggestions on equipment and service, thank you all very much. :-)

bja

im only slightly offended, but no worries. i can see how my username could be misinterpreted. its my username on every other car site that im a member of, mainly because im an enthusist of the EF chassis, better known as the 1988-91 civic and CRX.

as far as my credentials, its also understandable that people would doubt me because of my age. heres a bit of history. i graduated from high school in 2000, and went to LSU for general studies before transferring to Louisiana Tech to finish with a degree in Automotive Technology (fancy name for a mechanic). while there, i worked part time at a 5 Minute Oil Change as well as a local tuner shop. i also did a couple dozen b series engine swaps (mainly on EFs) both in school and at my house. for my last semester of school i worked as an apprentice at Walker Acura. i stayed on there through graduation and worked for just under a year at acura. during that time i attended Honda/acura courses in texas and spent countless hours doing online tests at the dealership. aside from the NSX i currently own, the only other times i worked on an NSX was for a few CEL problems (mainly stemming from one customer putting test pipes on his) and a few alignments. in my original post, i never claimed to be an NSX technician, only a pretty good honda tech who owns an NSX. and i definitely wasnt intending to solicite myself for any high dollar work. if it looked like something that i didnt have the facilities to work on, i would definitely refer him to some people who could do the job. anyway, after working at Acura, i tried my hand at Nissans, and did that for a little under 2 years. as for why im managing an oil change shop when im qualified for more, it all boils down to dollars. 5 minute oil change was willing to pay me 20k more a year than i was making at the dealership, and i seldom have to get my hands dirty. they valued my knowledge of all makes and models, and my ability to quickly and effectively fix any problem vehicles that pop up from time to time in this industry. i happen to be the only ASE certified (not to mention all the other certifications) employeed in the company.

again, i did not intend to bill myself as an NSX expert, thats why i only said i was a pretty good honda mechanic. i dont have the facilities to do any major work, but i thought i would extend an invitation for some help, since our new member is only about an hour away from me. i actually do a lot of free work for friends (which is probably not wise for my wallet), and chances are i wouldnt have even charged the new member unless the job was a serious pain to work on.

im glad you guys are vigilant though. but im not gonna change my username. i love EFs too much. sorry to threadjack.

I don't make it a practice to attack anyone, particularly on Prime, so I hope I don't come off sounding that way.

I read your endorsement of yourself as an NSX tech in your above post and thought to myself that I would probably not ever have my NSX serviced by someone whose user name was "ef you." I decided to look past it and read through some of your previous posts and discovered that you are 25 and manage an oil change shop. I thought again, to myself, that anyone certified and competent enough to work on NSXs would probably not be in that line of work. And that anyone who is 25 cannot possibly have enough NSX experience for me to feel comfortable letting them work on my NSX.

I also noticed that, in a past post, you made the claim that the NSX oil filter is the same as the Legend filter. This is 100% false. While they are both compatible the NSX oil filter is a completely different filter. The NSX filter is a higher capacity filter and longer than the Legend's. The NSX specific filter is almost never carried in the quickie lube shops and the guide book that these shops use (the same books found in Autozone, etc. when purchasing Fram filters, for example) simply says to use the Legend filter instead or lists the same part for both cars as a substitute but it is in no way a shared part. I then thought that someone who's business is exclusively oil and filters and who is Acura/Honda certified should know exactly what's what and what's not.

On an even less important note I look for overall attention to detail when selecting a mechanic to work on my NSX. Your grammar in your past posts leaves quite a bit to be desired. Now, I understand this is the internet age and people type quickly but you might notice that most of the long-term Prime members take their time and, barring the occasional typo or language differences, use proper grammar and are very thoughtful in their posts here. I wonder to myself how thorough would someone like that be with my possibly $89,000 NSX? There are always exceptions to the rule but it just kinda makes me wonder, that's all.

So my question is: how many NSXs, excluding your own, have you serviced (directly taken a wrench to) excluding oil/fluid changes? You mention you are ASE/Honda certified but what is your overall experience in servicing NSXs? How many Hondas/Acuras have you serviced and where? What facilities do you have?

Before I get attacked I'm only concerned because you went on record endorsing yourself as a "good Honda mechanic" and suggested that NSX owners in the Southern Louisiana area should use you. I would have the same concerns and do the same amount of research if anyone had recommended anybody who the NSX community had not heard of or dealt with so please do not take this personally. This is business and it's our duty as a community to inform and educate--especially in the often intimidating area of servicing one's very expensive NSX.

From reading your posts you sound like a fairly sharp, decent kid and are probably very responsible and hard-working. You are also apparently an NSX owner and that demonstrates a great level of fiscal responsibility and maturity for your age. I am not out to bust anyone's chops. But in the spirit of professionalism, when someone, not just you, is endorsed by either another member or themselves we owe it to each other to ask these questions.

This is a very tight community and we feel that Prime is one of the most informative, helpful car forum of any kind on the internet. We pride ourselves on our helpfulness but also our thoroghness, experience and pursuit of only the facts. You're a newer member and while we don't hold that against you we simply don't know who you are. I can tell you, however, that I probably would not have even thought twice if not for your "ef you" username. You might want to consider a new one if you're going to be promoting yourself as an NSX tech or desire any amount of respect from this community. :wink:

Rant over.

Back