New Honda CEO is more of the same... :(

It looks like it doesn't mean a damn thing that he was the NSX chassis engineer. Honda's future is more of the same thing... no V8s, and no RWD sedans. WTF

http://www.autonews.com/article/20090720/ANA03/307209966/1117

New Honda chief: We don't need rwd sedans

<script>queryvar="new,honda,chief:,we,dont,need,rwd,sedans";</script> Chieko Tsuneoka
Automotive News
July 20, 2009 - 12:01 am ET
TOKYO -- The new president of Honda Motor Co. says the company doesn't need a V-8 rear-wheel-drive sedan because market demand has shifted to fuel-efficient cars.
Takanobu Ito said Honda recently suspended its rwd program and called it "a good decision." Instead Honda will focus on hybrid drivetrains for bigger cars.
"I don't think we need a classic front-engine, rear-drive car," Ito said at his first press conference since taking the reins from Takeo Fukui last month. "It would be meaningless to emulate what other companies have been doing for more than five decades."
Honda needs to pioneer new territory, Ito said.
"We are considering incorporating new engines, motors, transmissions and chassis into mid- to large-sized hybrid vehicles, and I think this is a good opportunity for change," he said.
Honda had long steered clear of a V-8, saying its six-cylinder engines provided sufficient power. But last year Fukui said Honda was planning a fuel-efficient V-8 for Acura.
The program was axed when the Japanese automaker reshuffled priorities to survive the global market meltdown. Also put on hold were plans to develop clean diesel technology.

This sounds about right. Honda wants to be Green, the new BS fad. They are betting on gas gong back up I guess. But:

We don't need a V-8 Check
We don't need rear wheel drive Check
We don't need front engine Check

A V6 mid-engine AWD car sounds good to me. :rolleyes:

Of course, all we'll get is more of the Insight. I've heard Clarkson and Consumers absolutely love it.

Whatever. Their sudden loss of interest in motor sports tells me all I need to know.

I'm sure they will be back once the economy shows some stability. I think there is more mass appeal for the economy cars right now and the fuel situation isn't going to get better. So it sounds like they are thinking a couple steps ahead.

I think he is exactly right. They don't need a RWD V8 at all. I mean, the RL has really done well for them. :rolleyes:

In other breaking news:

New Honda chief: We don't need round wheels

Chieko Tsuneoka
Automotive News
July 20, 2009 - 12:01 am ET
TOKYO -- The new president of Honda Motor Co. says the company doesn't need round wheels because market demand has shifted to square wheels.
Takanobu Ito said Honda recently suspended its round wheels program and called it "a good decision." Instead Honda will focus on square wheels for bigger cars.
"I don't think we need a classic round wheel car," Ito said at his first press conference since taking the reins from Takeo Fukui last month. "It would be meaningless to emulate what other companies have been doing for more than several millennia."
Honda needs to pioneer new territory, Ito said.
"We are considering incorporating square wheels, pulleys, and bearings into mid- to large-sized vehicles, and I think this is a good opportunity for change," he said.
Honda had long steered clear of round wheels, saying square wheels provided sufficiently low rolling resistance. But last year Fukui said Honda was planning a new round wheel for Acura.
The program was axed when the Japanese automaker reshuffled priorities to survive the global market meltdown. Also put on hold were plans to develop clean diesel technology.

Honda is a fine car company, and we own their finest sportscar example. If they choose to continue to proceed in the direction they're going it's ok with me. There are other sportscars to choose from if I need another fast car.

In this economic climate + new emission restrictions, I doubt a new NSX will come our way anytime soon.

It seems like we got the last ones. :)

Back